Brooks' Seahorse Tank

Brooks

So... many... babies. There are at least 150-200 that I got today. There SHOULDN'T be any more..

I moved them into my old 20g and took down the 10g they were in. So far so good... they're mostly eating. None are floaters (no overinflated swim bladders), and they are not flicking! Which is somewhat surprising.

Pictures to come.

Some pictures... and a video for an update!

He. Is. Huge.

55c66d6c.jpg

Seahorse Tree, anyone?

bf64634e.jpg

Almost 4 and 5 week old babies:

OMG!!! That's all my supplies!! It looks like my old fry tanks!! with the exception of any LIVE FRY...you are a GENIUS young man!!! and obviously very dedicated...now I need to go stick my head in the sand....

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone. I have been rather busy lately, so I've not been updating. Sorry! :(

A quick little update:

All the older fry are doing very, VERY well. I haven't lost one in almost a week... I think. They are all taking to frozen mysis, and are growing FAST! I upped their feedings to 3 times a day. Of course, with the success of weaning them to frozen... comes more pains. I now do 5g water changes daily. Before their first meal, and after their last. The excessive cleaning is definitely paying off, though.

The younger fry are also doing well. I had a large die off a few days ago... something around 15. I am still very far up in numbers with them, though. And the ones that are still alive are eating well!

My largest male is super pregnant again. I will be putting these fry in with the 2 week old fry. The size difference shouldn't be enough to make feeding an issue.

Thanks for the update. Wow, you are sure doing great with those fry. Like really, really great!! How often, if at all, do you rotate tanks and sterilize?

Honestly, I've been VERY bad with rotating the tanks. I've only done it twice. unsure.gif

That's really good though. I know bacteria can be a problem with fry, but whatever system your using is certainly working.

I try to do daily scrubbings getting biofilm off of the glass. That is where you can encounter problems with bacteria and hydroids. Keeping the temperature lower (68-74) also helps keep harmful bacteria out of the tanks. Not to mention, the Seahorses like it a little more, too.

What do you use for your daily scrubbings? Like a sponge scrubber or just a paper towel or something? Do you just stick your hands in the water with the fry and wipe all the surfaces or empty the tank?

What do you use for your daily scrubbings? Like a sponge scrubber or just a paper towel or something? Do you just stick your hands in the water with the fry and wipe all the surfaces or empty the tank?

I use a sponge scrubber. And yes, I just wipe it down without draining. Every Saturday I do a 50% water change, with 4-5g daily.

After I use the sponge, I rinse it thoroughly under hot water to kill any bacteria.

• 3 weeks later...

Been a while since I've updated, so here it goes!

All of my babies are doing fantastic. Since the move (5 days ago), I've not lost a single baby. My 11-12 week olds (maybe 13-14 week, can't remember) are getting bigger and bigger... I had a die off before the move, so I'm down to 39. I'm happy, but sad that I let them die off so much. But now, they're taking whole mysis and looking fat and happy! :)

My 5-6 week olds (once again, maybe 7-8 week olds) are also doing very well. They are the most michevious little things... they find tiny tiny holes in the divider and get through STILL, and they're wayyy ahead of where my older fry were at that point in development. I've not lost one of them in about a week as well. They are taking finely minced mysis and growing quickly.

I made the discovery today that I've now got 2 pregnant males... oh boy. My largest male is due any day, and my other should be due in a week or so from what I can see. More work, but more fun! I've got 2 19g round tubs these will be going in. 5g water changes daily is how I will get past having a filter on there with them. It is going to be very tricky, but I think I will be able to get by.

Pictures will come soon... hopefully.

• 1 month later...

HI everyone! Haven't posted in a LONG time!! Myself and my family have been incredibly busy, and now that school is almost over, we're even busier!! wacko.gif

Anyways, all of the babies are doing well... now. About 3 weeks ago I went out of town for 4 days on a tennis tournament, and my "tank sitter" completely neglected their responsibilities. The die off was around 27, which left me at about 16 babies left. What they DIDN'T do: feed enough (they fed them once), use the RO/DI water I had for them (they used faucet water... CHLORINE?!?!?) turn off the lights, monitor the temperature, and they didn't top off in the big tank. Needless to say, I will NEVER trust anyone but ARC members with my tank again.

However, 3 weeks later and everyone is still alive. Last night, I noticed that the babies come up to the front of the glass whenever I'm in the room working. I think it means they're hungry, LOL! laugh.gif Their colors and patterns seem to change daily. I've got one orange baby which I will be keeping. I can't wait until they are big enough! They're probably big enough now (about 2-2.5"), but I'll start to feel more comfortable when they are around 3-3.5".

I'll attempt to get some pictures this week!

-Brooks-

• 1 year later...