Brooks' Seahorse Tank

Brooks

Little picture update.

Added my Seahorses the other day. Water is still perfect and the Seahorses are eating like PIGS!

I ended up taking back the PAR38 and am going to go with Ecoexotic Panorama LED strips. This way it will cover a larger area, and two of them will be a little more light.

Right now I'm using a 10k bulb running it on a lamp from my house.

5d36f148.jpg

Little picture update.

Added my Seahorses the other day. Water is still perfect and the Seahorses are eating like PIGS!

I ended up taking back the PAR38 and am going to go with Ecoexotic Panorama LED strips. This way it will cover a larger area, and two of them will be a little more light.

5d36f148.jpg

im pretty sure mangroves do better when their leaves are above the water level. also you may want to elevate them so you get really cool root structure for your horses to grab ahold of

Little picture update.

5d36f148.jpg

im pretty sure mangroves do better when their leaves are above the water level. also you may want to elevate them so you get really cool root structure for your horses to grab ahold of

From what I've read, they are able to survive under water with a daily rinse of fresh water to get the salt-coating on their leaves off.

I am working on a float that will look good, and keep their leaves above water to let the roots grow in a cool formation.

Little picture update.

5d36f148.jpg

From what I've read, they are able to survive under water with a daily rinse of fresh water to get the salt-coating on their leaves off.

I am working on a float that will look good, and keep their leaves above water to let the roots grow in a cool formation.

tie them to an acrylic rod, there are some pretty good examples on nano-reef

Little picture update.

5d36f148.jpg

tie them to an acrylic rod, there are some pretty good examples on nano-reef

That crossed my mind, but I'm not sure how good that is going to look. I'm going to buy a small one tomorrow to try it out.

Update --

Found out the tank brand I bought (AQUA H20) has a terrible record of shattering, so I couldn't take the chance. Ended up going and getting a 20g tank for $20 at Pet-Co.

I'm keeping the old tank just in case something were to happen, or I might set it up as a quarantine when needed.

Pics to come when the water settles.

Seahorses are doing well, so is everything else. Water tested fine after moving the tank over... there shouldn't be any spikes.

Update --

Found out the tank brand I bought (AQUA H20) has a terrible record of shattering, so I couldn't take the chance. Ended up going and getting a 20g tank for $20 at Pet-Co.

I'm keeping the old tank just in case something were to happen, or I might set it up as a quarantine when needed.

Seahorses are doing well, so is everything else. Water tested fine after moving the tank over... there shouldn't be any spikes.

Hey Brooks!! Glad to see the ponies are happy.... :D Keep an eye on the male and let me know when he is about to explode and I'll guide you...

What happened to your new tank?? You had to tear it down because of possible shattering???

Update --

Hey Brooks!! Glad to see the ponies are happy.... :) Keep an eye on the male and let me know when he is about to explode and I'll guide you...

What happened to your new tank?? You had to tear it down because of possible shattering???

They are doing very well! The Male seems a little less active than the female, but I guess that is expected since he is pregnant?

The new tank had a TERRIBLE reputation of shattering, and I couldn't risk it. :\

Looks good so far! Wish I still had my ponies

Thanks Francis!

ahh darn i want a seahorse tank now!!

I am enjoying every minute of it!! And it is relatively inexpensive to set up!!

At this rate your ponies are going to be in a 180g ;)

Lol, probably. biggrin.gif

Cool tank Brooks! Ready for some SPS yet?

No SPS in the Seahorse tank... unfortunately. :'( Killer Acans and chalices though....

Picked up the new LED -- Ecoxotic 12w Panorama LED. It is BRIGHT! I think I'll add one more since I'll be housing chalices and Acans, though. It looks great. The color is stunning... and the Seahorses seem to be out and about more than they were with the other light. The Mangroves are doing well being completely submersed, though I am still doing daily rinsing of their leaves with fresh water.

I intend to add some acrylic hitch posts behind the rock work for them to hitch on at night. I've read they like more sturdy posts during the night time. As far as more algae go, I think I am going to stick with what I have, and find various corals, such as Fan corals, for them to hitch onto. Not only are they better looking (in my opinion), they also add to the overall feeling of a Seahorse tank.

Also, I got rid of the heater. I didn't want the ponies to hurt themselves hitching to it. Temperature seems to stay stable at 69.8-70.1 degrees.

Here is a picture:

c19f4525.jpg

Got the front, and side trims off. Only fluke is there are now a couple of small chips on the top of the glass on the front pane. I don't see any cracks, they just look like little shards that got taken out while removing the trim.

Should I put some small silicone layer on top of this to ensure it doesn't crack, or just leave it be?

With ~20g pressure on it, it couldn't be much of an issue.