Brooks' Seahorse Tank

Brooks

BROOOOOKS!!!!

Remember if you get dwarf seahorses, they eat ONLY BBS...you'll be hatching on a daily basis like me.... :doh:

WELCOME BACK!!! or thought of.... :blush:

Hatching Baby Brines O_O? Or hatching baby seahorses?! :D :D :D

bbs=babybrineshrimp..yo-yo :D

Well everyone, I bought a 14g tank today. So much for -10g! It isn't an all-in-one, but I can manage seeing some of the equipment. It looks clean, and thats all that matters!

It is up and cycling (hopefully), so we'll see where it is in a few days.

The one thing that I'm still looking for is a suitable light. I'm not wanting to buy expensive LED's, but at the moment that seems to be the best option. The PAR38 bulbs seem nice, but I've not seen very good reviews for them.

Any suggestions?!

what type of tank? rimless?

Yeah, it is a rimless acrylic (thank god) and it has a very nice look to it. It has curved edges in the front, which look cool, and it is made by AQUAH2O.

Here is a picture:

1574d5dc.jpg

Since I am going to have Seahorses in this tank, the best method for smaller tanks is said to be the sponge (HOB) filter. I'm putting a mesh over the intake so nothing can get sucked up in there.

where did you get it? you might want to paint or tint the back too.

Picked it up at RCA. And yeah, I was thinking about doing that to the back. Not sure what I'd use.

you can use dark window tent, that way it is not totally opaque

Brooks you can do the home depot halogen to MH conversion. the halogen light is on 25 bucks, then add a 75w ballast to it and some kind of makeshift pendent type fixture (i used a metal mixing bowl with a hole drilled through it., the 75w MH bulb will fit in the halogen fixture. then you just pull the guts out and add the ballast grab a small piece of glass and done. cheap 75w mh pendent. i think it took me 20 mins to make the fixture after i had all the materials.

Matt

Exactly how cold do you keep your house(or, how cold do your parents keep their house to be completely correct)?

Run it a few days without the heater and see what it runs.

Typically on the colder side -- 72-73? Which is the ideal temperature for Seahorses, but my room tends to be much colder. Right now its at 66. :wave:

Brooks you can do the home depot halogen to MH conversion. the halogen light is on 25 bucks, then add a 75w ballast to it and some kind of makeshift pendent type fixture (i used a metal mixing bowl with a hole drilled through it., the 75w MH bulb will fit in the halogen fixture. then you just pull the guts out and add the ballast grab a small piece of glass and done. cheap 75w mh pendent. i think it took me 20 mins to make the fixture after i had all the materials.

Matt

Hey Matt!

Just picked up a PAR38 bulb and clip on lamp and am going to see how that works. Right now, I'm very happy. The color looks good and I love the shimmer and simplicity of the bulb/fixture!

The water is 66?

What about a small heater in the back?

http://www.fosterand...87&pcatid=12087

http://www.fosterand...44&pcatid=18444

or maybe this in a pinch though it might be hard to plumb in

http://www.fosterandsmithaquatics.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3578+3743+11369&pcatid=11369

My aquaculturalist never runs heaters...ever. Tanks can go as low as 67...I had the same concern for my fry tank which is close to a window and it was at 69 degrees...they were perfectly fine...seahorses are very suseptible to bacterial infections and warm water only metastasizes exacerbates the issue.