Anemone!

Christian

I would think 4 or 5 watts per gallon of T-5 or MH per gallon. You need about 4 of those, which is what I am switching to from MH. I think that a better idea would be to sell that beautiful nem to someone who can keep it alive, get some fish and low light softies with the cash, and then buy another one when you get set up. It is a shame to kill something when you can help it. I think there is a little responsibility inherited when you take something out of the ocean and you should do your best to take care of it. It is bad for the hobby when people arent responsible for the creatures that we take.

Maybe see if someone can stash it in a healthy environment until you can get decent lights.

I wouldn't focus too much on watts/gal. I think it is an old school way of looking at light more applicable to FW. Our animals need PAR, granted not everyone has a PAR meter to measure...

You could have 300W/gal over the tank and if it's not going into the tank it's not doing any good.

I think what everyone is saying is that by the time you see signs that it needs more light the damage will be done. It's pretty much a given that you don't have enough light and that it will suffer. Nems can be a challenge to keep anyway, so rather than put it and the rest of your tank through a loss most of us would rather see you find a better home for it until you're equipment is right for it. It's a shame to watch anything die, and even worse when the process of dying can foul your tank and possibly take your other critters with it. Not trying to be harsh, we've all gotten something for our tank before that is really cool even though we couldn't provide the exact right environment. We've all suffered watching that cool thing not make it. You're probably not the one who will buck the odds and have it live (though if you keep it, I hope you are). Not trying to be harsh, just realistic.

• 2 weeks later...

There are more accurate ways to measure light, but a basic way to figure out what you need is watts per gallon. I think that for a anemone you would want at least 4 or 5 watts per gal. So like 4 of those 54 watt lights, which is what I have on mine, and my nem is happy. When you see things with a K rating, its the spectrum. You will want to mix bulbs up a bit to get the right light spectrum. There was a nice light for $80 on the for sale forum.BTW.