How many divers here?

mcallahan

Do you SCUBA dive?  

27 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My wife, daughter(soon) and I are all divers.

Actually that is what is getting us into SW tanks, seeing everything diving.

I have been diving since 93, and an instructor since 94. I don't teach a lot anymore, just a few classes a year to keep my ratings current.

I agree with whoever made the bait and switch comment, one of the reasons I don't teach for a shop anymore. Tell people what something is going to cost up front, don't nickle and dime them.

If anyone is interested in lessons, or just has questions I'd be happy to answer them, no obligation to use me as an instructor, I just like talking about diving.

On the craigslist comment, you can get some really good deals on used gear, but please be careful. Remember, you are buying stuff that is life support equipment. I have seen people buy dive gear that is not safe to use. Best bet is to get someone that has a few years dive experience to go with out to check things out, and always budget to have a dive shop rebuild any used gear you buy.

If anyone is interested, I am running a trip to Bonaire in June. It is a week trip, with some great pricing, and IMO some of the best easiest diving avaliable. Since I book it myself (not with a dive shop) and don't do this to make money, the pricing tends to be quite good, and it is a great group. I have four spots left out of the 36 I booked. We are staying at BuddyDive (www.buddydive.com). PM if you'd like details on the trip.

I didn't intend for this to be an add, and if it isn't appropriate I appologize.

-Dan

Price isn't the issue. Time...

bleh! walk in there, say,

"I'd like to get certified and I'm willing to pay, but I need to make it work around my busy schedule, what can you do?"

Any dive shop owner with half a sense should say,

"let's see what we can do".

If not, walk out, ask the next person.

+1 on several things Dan said:

If you're buying used equipment take someone along who's familiar with the equipment. For regulators BCDs, gauges and computers take a tank with you so you can test basic functionality. In general plan on adding the cost of a full servicing at a shop. (while less than the equipement this can be a significant cost)

Bonaire is my favorite destination. It's a good blend of affordable and it's always on the top of the lists for shore diving.

My friends and I go every 2 - 3 years and really love that about 60% of the dive sites are reachable by car. We rent a car and handle planning our own dives on our own schedule (a luxury not available at most other destinations).

Buddy Dive is where we've stayed for the last several trips and we've always had great experiences with the staff and facilities.

As with Dan if anyone has any questions please feel free to contact me.

Russell

bleh! walk in there, say,

"I'd like to get certified and I'm willing to pay, but I need to make it work around my busy schedule, what can you do?"

Any dive shop owner with half a sense should say,

"let's see what we can do".

If not, walk out, ask the next person.

Most shops offer lessons a few different ways.

They will do a weekend class. Generally two weekends, first pool and lecture, Saturday and Sunday about ten hours a day (Long Days). The second weekend they will do open water dives (Lake Travis, Aquarena Springs most likley).

Next option is a weeklong class. Generally M-F from about 6:00 - 10:00, with checkout dives on Saturday and Sunday. This makes a long week, but I think it is better than the two weekend class. My students generally did better in this format.

Shops will also offer private and semi-private classes. If you have a small group (2-4) you can pay a premium (usually about $30-$50pp) to have a class with just your group, built around your schedule. Or, you can pay a larger premium (about double on average) to have just you and the instructor.

The going rate for Open Water (basic certification) is about $200 (regular class). If you see a shop advertising for much less than that be careful. Several of the shops like to price lessons very low ($99 sometimes) but then charge extra for everything. Books, Certification Fee, Equipment, etc.

-Dan

My friend and I took an open-water beginner's dive class in Hawaii while our certified diver friends went off exploring. We did so well that the instructor let us dive down 30ft with them afterwards....probably a no-no on his part, but we had a blast.

details on that trip!

craigslist you can get really lucky. i found a guy who took the class, handed his credit card to his instructor and said, make me look like you... finished the class and 8 months later realized he would never touch his stuff again. but i second being careful. i've seen people trying to sell gear that looks like its gone years without servicing or any regard for how it is stored.

We did so well that the instructor let us dive down 30ft with them afterwards....probably a no-no on his part, but we had a blast.

That's how I got certified. 15-20 min of drills on the sand bed, 20-25 mins afterwards of cruising the reef. Hands down the best way to get certified.

That's how I got certified. 15-20 min of drills on the sand bed, 20-25 mins afterwards of cruising the reef. Hands down the best way to get certified.

I really hate the "resort courses". Extremely dangerous, and most people don't even realize how dangerous they can be. Getting certified, is fairly easy and straightforward, and diving, done properly is very safe, but there are some new and unique ways you can kill yourself if you don't get the proper training, and the resort courses aren't the proper training.

-Dan

The resort classes can go either way. Had a buddy that got certified in Cancun. After his trip he and I dove San Marcos and I was shocked at the things he didn't know or misunderstood. Very dangerous. On the other end I've dove with several other 'graduates' of resort classes with no issues.

I myself got a $40 certification about 20 years ago in December using a borrowed wet suit. Total cost after book and cert fees was about $65.

Cert dives were done in Travis, water temp 64 air temp 34. priceless

Am I the only SSI certified diver here on the boards? biggrin.gif

I've been dry ever since I moved to TX from MI. 3 years and counting. I recently just got all my gear down here from my Dad's house, so I'll be looking to get back into as soon as I get a new wetsuit. (Somehow my old one 'shrunk'....and I don't think I need an 8mm one down here in TX smile.gif )

Am I the only SSI certified diver here on the boards? biggrin.gif

I've been dry ever since I moved to TX from MI. 3 years and counting. I recently just got all my gear down here from my Dad's house, so I'll be looking to get back into as soon as I get a new wetsuit. (Somehow my old one 'shrunk'....and I don't think I need an 8mm one down here in TX smile.gif )

Nope, I'm SSI certified as well. Been through advanced, stress and rescue and nitrox. Next up is dive con.

I have been a diver 6 years. Belize is number #1 for me.... love the shallow reefs and the big fish. Just got back from a trip in September.

No way you are the second person who has told me they were there in september. We went down for a week in august and it is by far one of my favorite places to go. I unfortunately was in the process(again) of getting certified so I only got to snorkel hol chan and shark ray alley. I would have been the only certified diver in our group anyway so...

If you do buy or get used equipment aways pay to get a dive shop to look it over and/or rebuild it. Its your life that you are jeopardizing(sp?). You can never be too safe in scuba diving.

NAUII certified

Edited by Kkiel02

PADI Rescue

Panama (Bocas Del Toro), Honduras (Utila & Keys), Nicaragua (Little Corn Island)

Happy to share any info about these places.

P.S.: You can get good mask & snorkels cheap at Academy sports, better than the ones that they rent out at the PADI shops.