How many divers here?

mcallahan

Do you SCUBA dive?  

27 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I'm wondering how many SCUBA divers (people who are certified) that we have on the site. I might be up for a group trip this fall (esp. with all the travel deals out there) so I'd like to see what kind of crowd we might have.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am PADI certified i go about 4 or 5 times a year. i have a couple people that i dive with a group of 6 total. the last trip was to a dive camp in Belize we mainly stayed in the blue hole. but it was nice. lots of sharks bulls,hammerheads,reef. the reef was awesome one of the best trips i have been on. next is Austrian the great barrier i have heard good and bad have heard that that reef is suffering right now but im still excited. thats next fall october i think. im really excited about Sipadan in Malaysia, but its way expencive... the most expencive i will have been on. gonna have to save alot for that one. we have done some local diving like clean up trips like devils cove on travis and The comal river clean up. we do thoes every year for the past 2.

I am certified, but with the new additions to our family I don't forsee any dive trips in the near future. My last dive was in Puerto Vallarta. My favorite place I have been to was the Pearl Islands in Panama.

• 4 months later...

Any recommendations on where to get certified in Austin and a realistic estimate of what it will cost to get into the hobby? We dove on the Great Barrier Reef on our honeymoon, but it was one of those quick training deals and only dove about 20' deep max. I've love to become certified for my next trip...

I got certified in July.

The realistic estimate, Mike, shocked me. In fact, I was totally pissed off when I took Scubaland's PADI certification for "$150". Well, you had to have your own snorkel, fins, and mask--another $140. You had to get the class materials--$70. You had to pay the open dive park fee--for us, Aquarina Springs $60 ($30/day). You had the option to rent a wetsuit, and at the springs you needed it--$36 ($18/day).

The "Hey, I'll get certified just to be certified for $150" ended up costing me over $450!! I felt totally bait-and-switched and would have bailed if a friend hadn't taken a week's vacation and traveled to Austin so we could get certified together.

You'll probably want your own wetsuit, BCD, regulator, and dive computer--anywhere from $700 to $2500 depending on quality.

$150 is about right for the class. I took it in Austin at a store that is no longer in business. You do need the gear, but you will want that anyway once you start diving. I never had to pay a class materials fee. We also did our dives in Lake Travis at the dam. Cost's $8 per car to get in. You would want a wetsuit if you dive now. If you wait until summer you won't need it. Shop around. I have heard good things about Tom's but never used them myself.

• 1 month later...

always check craigslist for gear. two years ago i got a bcd, reg, suit, 2 tanks, computer and extras for 500$. SCUBALAND is where I am doing my divemaster training now. great people. If anyone is looking for a dive partner I am 100% ready to go.

always check craigslist for gear. two years ago i got a bcd, reg, suit, 2 tanks, computer and extras for 500$. SCUBALAND is where I am doing my divemaster training now. great people. If anyone is looking for a dive partner I am 100% ready to go.

I'm thinking about the carribbean next.

Archived