FarmerTy's 215 gallon - No Water Changes SPS Tank

FarmerTy

Yes, to be able to put certain corals on the sand and to hide any detritus on the floor. Since I don't do water changes, I thought it would be too much of a chore to siphon crud off the bottom all the time.

Oh man... sorry to hear about all of the fish losses.

I have been battling with a lot of diseases and pests out here in SoCal with my new tank that I never dealt with in my whole 20+ years of saltwater keeping.  I was thinking it was just the local or one particular LFS.  But hearing about your tragedy, I am wondering if it is something at a grander level.

Loved the picture of the plate coral bonanza!

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, JamesL said:

Oh man... sorry to hear about all of the fish losses.

I have been battling with a lot of diseases and pests out here in SoCal with my new tank that I never dealt with in my whole 20+ years of saltwater keeping.  I was thinking it was just the local or one particular LFS.  But hearing about your tragedy, I am wondering if it is something at a grander level.

Loved the picture of the plate coral bonanza!

Thanks James.  For those GOT fans... Winter is here! Diseases are very common these days from wholesale facilities, this isn't like buying fishes back in the day.  We have a very real marine velvet issue in the hobby now.  Buyer beware!

Thanks!  Come by Austin one day and get another baby fungia!  If you make the trip from San Diego, the fungia is free.  :firefirefire:

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, ShawnM said:

Looking good ty I am so jealous of the fish room I want one so bad.

Thanks Shawn!  It does have its benefits but we didn't buy this house because of it.  I just lucked out!  Right before we moved, I approached my wife about the in-wall set up and keeping half of the converted garage instead of converting the whole thing back to a garage.  I think the clencher was promising there would never be a tub of fish in the living room again that sold her in the idea.  :raw:

18 hours ago, Isaac said:

just buy a mini and parallel park in the other half :)  plus, that car might fit you better?

18 hours ago, FarmerTy said:

I need an adult!  I just got moderator-attacked! :o

Hey.. that was no attack, but a compliment.  Nothing wrong with owning a Mini... You could join me in the Mini club :)

IMG_1365.jpg

2 minutes ago, JamesL said:

Hey.. that was no attack, but a compliment.  Nothing wrong with owning a Mini... You could join me in the Mini club :)

IMG_1365.jpg

That's just mods backing mods. :cheer: Ahhh, California!  I miss the weather there!

I have so much to say that I shouldn't........

but come on dude getting "attacked" Isaac is like getting your leg dry humped by a Chihuahua.  It's not really harmful as much as annoying......

On 7/17/2017 at 6:27 AM, FarmerTy said:

Thanks James.  For those GOT fans... Winter is here! Diseases are very common these days from wholesale facilities, this isn't like buying fishes back in the day.  We have a very real marine velvet issue in the hobby now.  Buyer beware!

Thanks!  Come by Austin one day and get another baby fungia!  If you make the trip from San Diego, the fungia is free.  :firefirefire:

Hmm.. after reading your thread, I am starting to wonder if I had Brook or Marine Velvet rip through my tank.  I am currently 30 days fallow in the tank, and was originally going to wait 60 before trying fish again.  I am trying to be good and wait the 60 days.. but these stupid flatworms are making me want a six line.

And I wish I would be making a trip back, but doubt anytime soon (unless work sends me... we did buy an Austin firm).  Always appreciate the offer :)

1 hour ago, Reburn said:

but come on dude getting "attacked" Isaac is like getting your leg dry humped by a Chihuahua.  It's not really harmful as much as annoying......

lol :kisses:

On 7/18/2017 at 9:11 PM, Reburn said:

I have so much to say that I shouldn't........

I'm sensitive...:mellow:

On 7/18/2017 at 9:33 PM, JamesL said:

Hmm.. after reading your thread, I am starting to wonder if I had Brook or Marine Velvet rip through my tank.  I am currently 30 days fallow in the tank, and was originally going to wait 60 before trying fish again.  I am trying to be good and wait the 60 days.. but these stupid flatworms are making me want a six line.

And I wish I would be making a trip back, but doubt anytime soon (unless work sends me... we did buy an Austin firm).  Always appreciate the offer :)

I'd go 60 James... Fish dying that quick is the mark of velvet.

An update video I shot last night.

Things I still need to do from this point:

-aquascape

-put all frags in frag tank

-add blue/black backdrop to tank so you can't see the room behind it.

I've just left things as they were since I moved because my time was limited and most pressing was to treat my fish and plumb the frag tank so I had room to clear out the DT to make aquascaping easier.

Also, corals adjusting to the T5s now are starting to really regain color and look good again.  I think I'm liking going all T5.

Some pics I took last night and getting a chance to post while up with the new baby at 3:40 am. :firefirefire:

Z's Yellow-eyed Jaw Dropper

IMG_20170722_032604.jpg

Tyree pink lemonade and AquaSD Rainbow

IMG_20170722_032851.jpg

Garf Purple Bonsai

IMG_20170722_032423.jpg

Sunset Mille

IMG_20170722_033218.jpg

Frag tank

IMG_20170722_032018.jpg

Unnamed

IMG_20170722_032159.jpg