Devastating day! [emoji29][emoji29]

Christyef

fbc0d241b09a886797f3e477a8e89caf.jpg. So, I get home from work today and my power was off. Total panic mode. Made all the necessary phone calls and a technician was sent out. I decided to get a flashlight and look at the fish. [emoji22]. Shldnt have done that bc then I REALLY began to freak out. The fox face and yellow tang were still breathing very labored, but breathing. The rest were already dead.

In my panicked state I messaged Ty to call me immediately. Wanted to know if there was anything I could do. I did put ice cubes in to bring the 87° water down to 81°.... But didn't know how to get oxygen back in.

The technician must've shown up bc everything came on, like magic. The silence of a dead home is eerie. And now I have cool air, noise of the tanks and fans, but part of my fish family is gone.

Ironically, the dog face is fine ([emoji6]), 3 clowns, one dragon wrasse that was struggling for awhile, but is swimming now, Esther the eel, pink goby, and one harlequin shrimp. All the other inverts appear to be ok. Haven't seen the conch and there is one flame hawk still MIA. [emoji22]. Maybe he'll show up later.

In the SH tank, weirdly everyone seems great. Which is GOOD, Jst weird bc it was off too. Don't wanna be Debbie downer, but back-up power is a must for me now!!! Takes a lot to make me cry and seeing them struggling to breathe and scared and freaking out was hard for me. I felt so helpless. I can kinda get how Rory must've felt. [emoji22]

Every reefers worst nightmare! Sorry you had to go through that. Every time I read these I think it is time I get a generator.

I'm in New Braunfels but if you need anything let me know.

I know it's not a comfort, but many reefers have been in your shoes. Power failures are incredibly dangerous for this hobby, and unfortunately it is often overlooked or expensive to solve.

sad.png im sorry christy. definitely makes me put a small generator on my wishlist just to cover the tank! I'll start posting UPS deals i find again!

side note, if you do get a UPS, aim for an APC... it can even be used, batterywholesale is in georgetown and great prices. used APC's are cheap, wholesale batteries are cheap... overall, about half the price of a new one... if you need one in a pinch. discountelectronics used to have tons of apc's... havent seen many lately. ebay/craigslist/garagesales always have "broken" apc's, but all they need is a new batt!

(why apc? replaceable batteries, true sine wave, not modified sine. motors(pumps) dont like modified sine very much). chillers and heaters have a super high draw.. multiple ups's or a larger one overall might be a good idea.

http://bit.ly/2bUtC0l <-latest deal on slickdeals.

http://austin.craigslist.org/sop/5731171297.html

Another quick tip, if you have to cool your water with ice, make sure that you put the ice in baggies. The ice water is probably pretty nasty.

Another quick tip, if you have to cool your water with ice, make sure that you put the ice in baggies. The ice water is probably pretty nasty.

Yep, I have had some frozen plastic bottles in the freezer all summer just for this. Thankfully I have not had to use them but nice to know they are ready.

[emoji33][emoji33][emoji16]. Well, I Jst dumped cubes in, not thinking clearly. I'll get a battery back up and freeze some bottles today! I'm going to (try to[emoji6]) hold off on adding anything until I get the 140 up. The stand is painted and shld be dry by now. Jst need to begin assembling everything so I can get ready for the swap... I'm thinking I'll pipe it all in in the garage and use unions to disassemble then set it all up quick as possible

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm very sorry to hear about that! What a terrible feeling. I once had to keep a tank cool for two weeks without AC in the middle of the summer. I turned off my ATO and froze the RO water and dropped it in the sump to keep the tank cool and salinity level correct. I hope you don't have to face this issue again!

Yep, I have had some frozen plastic bottles in the freezer all summer just for this. Thankfully I have not had to use them but nice to know they are ready.

I keep those ice packs that come w/ some amazon orders in the freezer for this :)

I'm very sorry to hear about that! What a terrible feeling. I once had to keep a tank cool for two weeks without AC in the middle of the summer. I turned off my ATO and froze the RO water and dropped it in the sump to keep the tank cool and salinity level correct. I hope you don't have to face this issue again!

What a good idea!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived