The Maroon Lagoon V2.0

Despite the pretty colors the SPS have right now, I've still been struggling with some unknown issues. After the corals were struggling from what I think was bad RO/DI water, the alk spiked from lack of consumption and half my LEDs died on me. When I got the LEDs back on it messed with my other lights and I ended up running the lights brighter than normal WITH higher alkalinity than normal. I have a few burned tips to say the least right now.

I also have seen some corals constantly PO'd and have their mesenterial filaments out. I've been looking every night with a flashlight and magnifying glass for any bites marks, critters on the corals, or any kind of movement from a foreign object and still haven't seen anything. I put my carbon canister back online last night to hopefully scrub out any chemicals or contaminants that may be bothering the corals and I'll be doing a 20 gallon water change when I get home from work. Hopefully that will resolve the issue and the corals will go back to being healthy and growing quickly.

• Like 2

After I added carbon back on the system the mesenterial filaments went away and the corals all look much much better. I'm guessing there was either some kind of chemical warfare going on between corals that was scrubbed out by the carbon or some chemicals in the water that was irritating them that was removed with the carbon. Either way, I'm just happy the corals look better again.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I caught my blue hippo tang today and rehomed him wth a good friend of mine, finally opening up room for these beauties...

0917d5affd3f3ebf6f67af56229973af.jpg

My lone bicolor Anthias female (the male went MIA on Friday) was trying her hardest to show them who's boss, which is hilarious considering how small she is in comparison to them. She seems to have either taken to the school now, or is just hanging around to make sure they know she's there [emoji1]

77b93a3eed702383045f48ce14729065.jpg

• Like 2

• 5 weeks later...

I kind of hope the bicolor Anthias is has actually joined them...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes the bicolor has joined the ranks of the queens and they all school together for the most part. Their colors actually compliment each other well and make their colors pop even more when they swim together.

A little update on the health of the tank. The corals still looked bad after my bad RO/DI water issue and colors remained weak, little PE, and absolutely no growth in the last couple of months. One coral had super thin flesh, white dots all over it, and I couldn't determine if they were pests or something else. I dipped the coral in interceptor, but the white dots persisted. I believe it was filaments from the coral that were coming out in response to being stressed.

I decided that maybe if the tank didn't have pests, all my parameters were in line, and the tank was still unhappy, there was an outstanding issue that couldn't be tested for. Since my bad RO/DI issue, I considered maybe the tank had some metals or chloramines in it from the weeks I was topping off with bad water. I performed a 30 gallon water change and corals looked much better, the white dots on my one acro even disappeared. I hypothesize that I just need to dilute down whatever impurity is in my tank and once I do that I should be back in business with a thriving tank. I'll be performing an additional 20 gallon water change as soon as I get back from my trip and hopefully I'll see even better results.

• Like 1

There's no better remedy than a large water change!

+1

I usually don't even bother to test parameters unless an issue persists after a major water change.

Of course, I'm doing picos so that's a lot easier than in a tank the size of yours, hahaha. But after the issues with the RO/DI filter I think diluting whatever is in that water is exactly the right thing to do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's been about two weeks since I started performing water changes to remove whatever contaminant got through my RO/DI and was harming the corals. Colors are nearly back to 100% and growth has started again. I'm now running alk at ~10 dKh.

a0a619f8af499041c6322c3bba2df2d7.jpg

d7a0a2867e6d6fd3e6fd487ee2e992e3.jpg

07e7a486184ad84dd6e4a098dbca0910.jpg

Red dragon drag from Vivid is doing very well

e2802ae8620e059f10a94a08bceb763a.jpg

Echinatas have colored back up and started growing again

4bc41be8d1000fe8092879169e15fa82.jpg

I'm pretty sure it's because you left the tank in my care for 4 days. [emoji12]

Glad everything is looking great bud. [emoji106]

I'm sure some of your magical tank fairy dust dropped in the tank while you were taking care of it. I hope it lasts until my next trip to Bali so you can get more fairy dust in there.

I'm sure some of your magical tank fairy dust dropped in the tank while you were taking care of it. I hope it lasts until my next trip to Bali so you can get more fairy dust in there.
Better be a peanut butter stout in the fridge for every day I'm there man. [emoji57]

Better be a peanut butter stout in the fridge for every day I'm there man. [emoji57]

Peanut butter cup stout will be gone by then, I've read the peanut butter flavoring disappears quickly so you have to drink it quickly. Better get ready for a flood of homebrews!

• 2 weeks later...