The Maroon Lagoon V2.0

Thanks Jolt! It sure is fun watching them swim in and out of a massive forest of tentacles all day long. I feel like 3 aren't enough, I could probably fit 6 in the amount of anemone I have! Maybe one day they'll start reproducing and I can have a whole school of them in the anemones! [emoji7]

36 minutes ago, Sascha D. said:

Pretty awesome picture! I'm happy you're having such great success with the anemones and SPS. I'm definitely thinking about it now. LOL :lol:

I've found that the trick is getting them situated and happy, and then moving their rock to the peripherals of the tank to allow more room for SPS. Once these anemones anchor their foot down, you really have to piss them off to get them to move. Mine have never moved off their rock, or even moved around on the rock they're currently on. The only time I saw some movement was when I was cleaning the pumps in the tank and left them off for about an hour. At that point one anemone started inflating it's foot and expanding its disc to find where the flow went. Once the flow resumed, it went back to its normal densely packed tentacles.

I have gradually moved the anemone rock to the corner of the tank where there isn't as much light, but still plenty of flow. They're happy with their spot and haven't moved. They don't stretch out either like I've seen with other anemones. The only problem is they just keep growing more and more tentacles and getting bigger and bigger. Originally I thought I would be able to fit three mags on this rock, but now I'm wondering if I'll have to get rid of one anemone so I can have room for one massive one in the future if it keeps growing. A gorgeous anemone species, but you definitely need a good sized tank to comfortably keep one or more.

9 minutes ago, Gig 'em @ NDstructible said:

I've found that the trick is getting them situated and happy, and then moving their rock to the peripherals of the tank to allow more room for SPS. Once these anemones anchor their foot down, you really have to piss them off to get them to move. Mine have never moved off their rock, or even moved around on the rock they're currently on. The only time I saw some movement was when I was cleaning the pumps in the tank and left them off for about an hour. At that point one anemone started inflating it's foot and expanding its disc to find where the flow went. Once the flow resumed, it went back to its normal densely packed tentacles.

I have gradually moved the anemone rock to the corner of the tank where there isn't as much light, but still plenty of flow. They're happy with their spot and haven't moved. They don't stretch out either like I've seen with other anemones. The only problem is they just keep growing more and more tentacles and getting bigger and bigger. Originally I thought I would be able to fit three mags on this rock, but now I'm wondering if I'll have to get rid of one anemone so I can have room for one massive one in the future if it keeps growing. A gorgeous anemone species, but you definitely need a good sized tank to comfortably keep one or more.

I noticed from my trolling you seemed to have less success with SPS around the 2015 era.  You joked that you were very good at killing them.  What would you consider the main differences in your reef keeping or equipment, if any, that would contribute to your ability to maintain SPS?

I apologize for the creepiness in advance, I am trying to read as much as I can in order to make this SPS thing work.

I noticed from my trolling you seemed to have less success with SPS around the 2015 era.  You joked that you were very good at killing them.  What would you consider the main differences in your reef keeping or equipment, if any, that would contribute to your ability to maintain SPS? I apologize for the creepiness in advance, I am trying to read as much as I can in order to make this SPS thing work.

Haha good paying attention Wardlaw! I've definitely fought and clawed my way into SPS success. There were a lot of bumps along the way and certainly a lot of growing pain in my experience over the last few years. The factors I can attest my success to would be:

1. Upgrading to a larger volume of water. With the amount of traveling I do and how I often I have to put my tank on "cruise control" while I'm out of town for a week or so, having a larger volume of water that slows how rapidly swings can occur in the tank has been tremendously beneficial.
  2. Adding a DI canister to my RO unit. For years I was only running a regular RO system without a DI canister. I can't remember when I finally added a DI canister, but it took me far too long to add one. My TDS was always low and I had success with SPS in other homes, but every now and then everything would die with no reason in my current house. I have hypothesized that the water supply flushes the system around the same time each year and keeping my RO/DI filters fresh around those time frames has reduced the mysterious deaths.
  3. I've had the same equipment for a while now and have finely tuned it to run the way I want it and I've learned from my mistakes with the equipment.
  4. I learned how to be more patient and look away instead of making a change where before I would adjust adjust adjust without letting things stabilize enough.
  5. I stole some of Ty's magical unicorn rainbow powder and sprinkle it in my tank once a week and all my coral grow with amazing colors now.

15 hours ago, Gig 'em @ NDstructible said:

Haha good paying attention Wardlaw! I've definitely fought and clawed my way into SPS success. There were a lot of bumps along the way and certainly a lot of growing pain in my experience over the last few years. The factors I can attest my success to would be:

1. Upgrading to a larger volume of water. With the amount of traveling I do and how I often I have to put my tank on "cruise control" while I'm out of town for a week or so, having a larger volume of water that slows how rapidly swings can occur in the tank has been tremendously beneficial.
  2. Adding a DI canister to my RO unit. For years I was only running a regular RO system without a DI canister. I can't remember when I finally added a DI canister, but it took me far too long to add one. My TDS was always low and I had success with SPS in other homes, but every now and then everything would die with no reason in my current house. I have hypothesized that the water supply flushes the system around the same time each year and keeping my RO/DI filters fresh around those time frames has reduced the mysterious deaths.
  3. I've had the same equipment for a while now and have finely tuned it to run the way I want it and I've learned from my mistakes with the equipment.
  4. I learned how to be more patient and look away instead of making a change where before I would adjust adjust adjust without letting things stabilize enough.
  5. I stole some of Ty's magical unicorn rainbow powder and sprinkle it in my tank once a week and all my coral grow with amazing colors now.

Haha, I always thought you were just being quirky! You got quiet after the spiders and then BAM SPS colonies! I figured you were using the dew from a single ginko leaf and the energy of the universe. My corals need more than dew and universe juice, but I'm trying! I'm with you on the larger body of water and I'll never own anything below 100g again. I recently reaquascaped my tank and I have some good spots for an anemone. I need to trade or sell some of my stuff to make room first. 

21 minutes ago, Sascha D. said:

Haha, I always thought you were just being quirky! You got quiet after the spiders and then BAM SPS colonies! I figured you were using the dew from a single ginko leaf and the energy of the universe. My corals need more than dew and universe juice, but I'm trying! I'm with you on the larger body of water and I'll never own anything below 100g again. I recently reaquascaped my tank and I have some good spots for an anemone. I need to trade or sell some of my stuff to make room first. 

Yeah I did make a rather drastic change. I dipped every coral I had several times and cooked all my LR to get rid of any potential pest from my old 50 gallon. I then added new LR that I QT'd separate from corals in a trough in my fish room. I transferred what corals I had left into the trough and let it all sit in there for a few months while I designed and built the current tank. Being able to start over "fresh" was a huge help and it allowed me to design a better system that fit my goals. I also decided to added corals in large batches to reduce the potential of allowing any pests in. When introducing small frags all the time it's easy to get complacent or let things slip, so I spent more time dipping larger quantities of corals more thoroughly and I haven't had any pests all year (knock on wood!).

• Like 1

It's good to start over like that. I've done it every time I upgrade or move into a new house. The hobby is always evolving and it's not always possible to incorporate new features into the existing tank. I wish that I were more patient and done more work on my tank before setting it up. It would save time in the long term, but I didn't see the problems as problems until later. I've been leaning towards a coral QT lately. I don't mind buying one coral a month, but buying twelve at once makes me nervous. I'm sure there is some sort of psychological condition in there somewhere!

Growth updates. The red planet has started to grow a nice mass at the end, which may table out as time progresses.
4a3bb21f6890465a0c3a4ade2418e6aa.jpg

Hawkins echinata is continuing its recovery. Originally it had died back during one of my previous 'black death periods' and only the encrusting on the frag plug had survived. It has since grown out from that encrusted frag plug to a nice little "bush". I guess I didn't expect the encrusted frag plug to survive or grow much when I placed it because it's soon going to be competing for real estate.
1d87b72bc11a6fb7f07520e903588a88.jpg

Blue tenuis is doing well after I moved it around behind the stags
88c53ecf24489664120652f33cd9f668.jpg

Lime Green Mille is growing well
8371b2ca9af8052bf406f82df6129088.jpg

• Like 1