The Maroon Lagoon V2.0

• 4 weeks later...

Sooooooo I seem to be going through the same dance I did a few months ago. I've been gone from home for two weeks and normally I would be able to notice some serious coral growth in that time, but it's hardly noticeable, corals are paled out, and I'm seeing recessed polyp extension and protruding filaments. Hmmmm, this has happened before and I haven't changed my RO filters in a while. So I'll be filtering a bunch of new water and performing another large water change this weekend to dilute out whatever go through my RO/DI system. I also added a catalytic carbon canister to the system to help in scrubbing out whatever the heck makes its way through my filters when they get older.

In better news, my skunk clowns appear to be preparing to lay eggs. Two of them are acting very aggressive towards the smallest one and they're cleaning the rock below the anemone. I don't plan on raising any clown babies at this time, but it's a good sign if they're happy enough to breed!

• Like 1

Performed a 50 gallon water change today, I'm hoping that will be enough to dilute whatever contaminant got into my system. I'll be keeping a close eye on the corals to see if their colors improve and PE returns. It was also a good opportunity to cut out some hitch hiker palys, siphone the top layer of sand, and clean the black glass, so the tank is looking quite sparkly now!

be09afa5964dbcba895eb7af8c621abe.jpg

• Like 1

That's odd that you're seeing the same issues again.  Are any aerosols being used anywhere in the house? Do you think this is something that slowly builds up over time or something that happens over a short period of time?

Tank is looking great. Glad to know that you identified your issue. What do you think could be getting through the RO unit? Chloramines? City of Gtown flushes the system with chlorine, so I always add Prime to my make up and water change water just in case.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

That's odd that you're seeing the same issues again.  Are any aerosols being used anywhere in the house? Do you think this is something that slowly builds up over time or something that happens over a short period of time?

Yeah, so far the only correlation I can draw each time is that the RO filters are getting old. I had three DI canisters on it too, so I'm thinking whatever makes its way through is only removed by carbon and can pass through DI. What that is, I have no clue. I do have Prime, so maybe I'll start dropping some in my RO reservoir just for good measure.

As far as aerosols go, the only thing is my wife sprays dry shampoo every once in a while, but she usually sprays it in the bathroom with the door closed.

• 2 weeks later...

Still dealing with poor coloration and some angry corals with filaments, so I did a 30 gal water change today. I do think some corals aren't bothered because growth has picked up a bit and alk has dropped this week. Some photo updates. Made a few frags getting to look down box too close to the corals [emoji37] so be watching for those in my for sale thread on the coming weeks when they heal! [emoji23]
cb120d09df0ff7a1d017824b1258be5b.jpg
be6497c19b0c5c43efec342cc679a297.jpg
d05a54ae1e977f9c6113b2c5274a10a2.jpg
dd416a6186a1016e30bec64d83584cc7.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, jolt said:

Wish my corals were as poorly colored and unhappy as yours!

To be fair though, I'm only showing what looks good right now! There are plenty of discolored corals and corals with STN patterns near the base. Definitely some picture bias going on in my last post :lol:

17 minutes ago, Gig 'em @ NDstructible said:

A little bit, not great. I filtered water with the new RO unit and will perform a 25 g water change with the new water. Hopefully that does the trick.

I didn't see it in the picture...do you have a booster pump on it?

Performed another 25 gallon water change today with water from the new unit. And man! What a nice difference it made, I filtered water so quickly and with so much less waste. I couldn't be happier with the upgrade decision. Here are some pics I took while the water level was low.
297e2170663ccd3c65703fd2844fd696.jpg

58311a4e4464c41fcb6ec3f75731b661.jpg

Starting to get dense in some areas
0a9279d3b1493a5221748c477bde6f05.jpg

Anemone is starting to look better@jolt [emoji1]
6acac4a1c5925f84d37ca29c9fd8e22a.jpg

• Like 1