Learning from mistakes

AlexC

I suppose this is actually obvious, but not really stated enough...

Most of your problems are caused by poor water parameters. Something doesn't seem right? Test your parameters. The catch is that if you aren't consistently checking them, then you won't know what's changed. So along with this, check your parameters regularly. Set a schedule and keep to it. Record all the results.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I suppose this is actually obvious, but not really stated enough...

Most of your problems are caused by poor water parameters. Something doesn't seem right? Test your parameters. The catch is that if you aren't consistently checking them, then you won't know what's changed. So along with this, check your parameters regularly. Set a schedule and keep to it. Record all the results.

And don't forget to calibrate and cross check occasionally...

So along with this, check your parameters regularly. Set a schedule and keep to it. Record all the results.

This is something I keep saying I'm going to do, but always get lazy and never follow through on. I saw a post recently where someone was using an online tank tracking site, but can't recall the url. Any suggestions?

Found this via the googles: http://successfulreefkeeping.com/resource/aquarium-monitoring-options/

So along with this, check your parameters regularly. Set a schedule and keep to it. Record all the results.

This is something I keep saying I'm going to do, but always get lazy and never follow through on. I saw a post recently where someone was using an online tank tracking site, but can't recall the url. Any suggestions?

Found this via the googles: http://successfulreefkeeping.com/resource/aquarium-monitoring-options/

some of us use aquaticlog.com

Apex has a log and graph function for parameters, which is what I use now. Before that, a handy notepad and a pencil took care of it.

this is commonly overlooked, but has recently bit me. I QT my fish and dip my corals.... but I overlooked one little pesky thing.. THE BAG.

I picked up some stuff the day it was delivered, the bags still floating. stupid me, i floated the bag when i got home in the main tank as i setup the QT. now one of my overflow columns has aiptasia...lovely. so, now i bag my bags before floating...so stupid *lol*

this is commonly overlooked, but has recently bit me. I QT my fish and dip my corals.... but I overlooked one little pesky thing.. THE BAG.

I picked up some stuff the day it was delivered, the bags still floating. stupid me, i floated the bag when i got home in the main tank as i setup the QT. now one of my overflow columns has aiptasia...lovely. so, now i bag my bags before floating...so stupid *lol*

Good point to bring up. A lot of us assume the outside of the bag is sterile, but more often than not bags that come in the mail are sitting in some tank water and we forget that retailers shove the whole bag underwater to fill it. Unless it has had significant time to dry out, cells of nasty critters or small larvae stages could easily be transferred from the outside.

Apex has a log and graph function for parameters, which is what I use now. Before that, a handy notepad and a pencil took care of it.

I still use both, as pretty and useful as those graphs are, I just can't pull myself away from my reliance on my field log book grin.png

I still use both, as pretty and useful as those graphs are, I just can't pull myself away from my reliance on my field log book grin.png
You're a better scientist than me. I ditched the logbook in a heartbeat and never looked back. Maybe it gave me too many flashbacks of a former life. [emoji4]

I made my own google form i could fill out from my phone... after awhile it sucks the soul from you and is no fun. While it was nice initially to see things as they come into check... it gets pretty boring when things are more or less the same everytime. I made pretty charts and everything *lol*

I made my own google form i could fill out from my phone... after awhile it sucks the soul from you and is no fun. While it was nice initially to see things as they come into check... it gets pretty boring when things are more or less the same everytime. I made pretty charts and everything *lol*

That's how I feel about my alk now. It was the one variable that moves for me and now that I have the new CaRX on there with its fancy carbon doser regulator, the alk doesn't move either. I got some pretty boring data plots. [emoji17]

I wouldn't make a very good scientist. My testing falls off dramatically after the first six months. After the tank is established certain parameters are always the same. Unless there's a problem the only thing I test for is Alk and sg.

yup, once i stop carbon dosing my nitrate check will be much less (hopefully this week!). i only really do alk/calc when something looks weird (i really need needle vavles for the CARX *lol*). having a controller kinda alerts you to check things when ph starts swaying more than normal too *lol*

yup, once i stop carbon dosing my nitrate check will be much less (hopefully this week!). i only really do alk/calc when something looks weird (i really need needle vavles for the CARX *lol*). having a controller kinda alerts you to check things when ph starts swaying more than normal too *lol*

I have a small gate valve you can borrow for your CaRX until you order yours if you'd like. PM me if you would like to borrow it.

I have a small gate valve you can borrow for your CaRX until you order yours if you'd like. PM me if you would like to borrow it.

Awesome thank you. I shut my CARX down because my alk/calc balance isnt right... I have some time to wait on my USP order smile.png

That's how I feel about my alk now. It was the one variable that moves for me and now that I have the new CaRX on there with its fancy carbon doser regulator, the alk doesn't move either. I got some pretty boring data plots. [emoji17]

You guys hear that? Ty's tank has hit a point of boring stability..........

Keep an eye on the classifieds! I smell an upgrade coming for a local farmer, and a lot of decommissioned equipment in its wake ;-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, I don't know about that! I have coral colonies laying everywhere in my tank right now and I'm about a month or so away from wanting to remove all my fish and going fishless if my powder blue never kicks ich.

There's always something to fight! Haha.

Yeah, I don't know about that! I have coral colonies laying everywhere in my tank right now and I'm about a month or so away from wanting to remove all my fish and going fishless if my powder blue never kicks ich.

You mean your corals are conveniently disconnected from the rock and arranged for easy picking? Gee, I hope someone doesn't break into your house and run off with them shifty.gif

You mean your corals are conveniently disconnected from the rock and arranged for easy picking? Gee, I hope someone doesn't break into your house and run off with them shifty.gif
I'm enrolling my corals in an acropora protection program! They'll be moved to an undisclosed place with new identities and start a new life somewhere else safe from predators like you!

I would like to sign up for the Coral Relocation Program (CRP)! My "safe tank" will be ready around February or March. The location is not listed, undisclosed, and unannounced...

How long has your tank had Ich? My PBT would get it after water changes every second month, but it would clear in a day or two. An unsavory consequence of keeping your RO in the garage and not using a heater.

I've heard there's a rehoming fee for the CRP?

He was ich free for 3 months in my sump. Once I put him amongst the general population, he broke out and hasn't stopped. I think I have a population density that's making it really hard for it to go away. It only takes one to not be resistant enough to it and boom, 10x the population of ich in the tank again. I think if I had half the fish, it wouldn't be as much of an issue.

Interesting theory. By observation though, I think he gets about the same since I feed the DT tons of algae. Percentage-wise, the powder blue only makes up probable estimated 1/20th the volume of fish mass in the tank, since he's one of the smaller fish. I think in your tank, he was the biggest, along with the foxface and a wrasse, if I'm remembering right.

I'll give the UV being plumbed directly in the DT some more time but if after the January meeting, things haven't cleared up like they usually do, then I'll look into full fish removal for 10 weeks to rid the system of ich.

Archived