Reefer Fail Moments

FarmerTy

Let's hear them! Share what you got!

I'll start it off with my own blunder... accidentally knocking off the tubing to the external port on my skimmer collection cup. I was basically skimming out tons of nastiness and dumping it right back into my tank.

Reefer Fail! [emoji17]

*cough*not plugging the heater back in after a water change -.-'

But I can tell a good work story lol

Lady comes in to buy feeder fish to toss in her pond (I call them the poor mans Koi) so I sell her about 8-9 for a 500 or so gallon pond to start with.

She comes back the next day with this nasty bad o death. Just like.. Smelled up the whole store. Shes angry at us

We ask what happened. She said they all died before she even took them out of the bag.

So we ask.. Well, did you take them straight home? "Yes" okay.. How long did you float them for? "Three hours" in her outdoor pond. When it was over 90 degrees outside. I literally facepalmed. Poor goldied were boiled in a bag

Sent from my LGLS660 using Tapatalk

Let's see, where to begin...

Leaving the return line off my CaRX when trying to bleed off air bubbles inside and coming home to a very wet floor.

Not checking my PO4 for months and then discovering it's at 190 ppb (oh, that's why all my SPS are melting away doh.gif )

Not QTing corals properly and getting infestations of AEFW, pyramid snails, and sea spiders thumbsdown.gif

Not QTing new fish and losing them all to some kind of disease.

Not putting a cover over my overflow intake and having the display tank overflow because a snail decided to clog the overflow drain.

Adding a frogspawn coral to my tank with an aiptasia eating filefish.... that coral didn't last long.

Forgetting that I was still filtering RO water and going to bed only to wake up in the middle of the night realizing I hadn't turned off the RO. Hello wet garage!!

Not turning off my protein skimmer when refilling a tank and having the skimmer cup full of lots of nasty gunk overflowing into my sump when the water level rose in the sump.

I know there are a ton more, but for the sake of my pride I'll stop more. Mistakes bring wisdom right?

Have done the skimmer tube one a few times myself. Also overflowed a full skimmer. Also kept a skimmer on when using epoxy. Also did it when using KZ coral snow. Both resulted in overflowing skimmers.

First tank, I had 2 faulty hydrometers, and ended up in filling the tank with something like 1.038 sg water. Somehow the fish were ok in it for a week. None of my first ever coral were ok though... Talk about a steep entry into this hobby.

Almost killed myself on a FW tank with a fully shorted heater in the tank on a non-GFCI outlet and I grounded my shoulder to a metal light fixture with my entire arm in the tank. I can still feel that one...

Broke the outlet off a 3/4" external pump while it was running.

Miscalculated water change volume and ended up about 7 gallons short after I dumped the old water.

Did a taste test to see if a water leak was from my sump or my ATO container. It happened to be neither and was concentrated sodium carbonate. doh.gif

Walked away from my ATO container (in my garage) when I was filing it from my RO/DI station. Figured that one out when I drove through the puddle outside in my driveway. All 50 gallons emptied into the garage.

Probably a lot more.

Happened a few weeks ago... Was doing a WC on the QT, and turned off the switch for the pumps... Forgot the heater was NOT on the same switch... The heater was totally exposed to air, and decided to turn on. As I was refilling, the glass went POP and shattered. The heater was still on which exposed the heating coils directly to the saltwater. The part that goes from dumb to downright moron... I freaked out and my immediate reaction was to drop my refilling line to reach for the plug, letting it fall out of the tank and start to spray saltwater all over, including all over my electronics and plugs for the tank. Thank science the GFCI instantly tripped and shut off everything.

Leaving RODI on upstairs by mistake and then go golfing.

Also changing out ATO bucket and forgetting to put hose back in tank and topping off kitchen floor till ato shuts off.

I added a flame angel with marine velvet that wiped half my tank.

I over-tightened a union valve and had 5,550 gph hit me right in the chest.

I didn't tie my carbon bag well enough and had a cup of carbon scattered over my sandbed.

I allowed AEFW and bryopsis into my old 125-gallon system due to poor QT measures or lack thereof entirely.

I moved a 180-gallon tank that I had resealed all by myself and managed to crack the bottom pane of glass.

I didn't cover an overflow pipe with a snail guard in my old tank and it overflowed and shorted out some of my equipment.

I overdosed vodka and killed off 3 of my longest living fish (3-4 years with me).

I'm sure I could go on and on but the rest of them has been blocked out by my memory.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Wow, this thread makes me feel a lot better for flooding my house a couple times with ro/di. :)

Also, when I first started I refilled my evaporated water with salt water and couldn't figure out my salinity problems...

The other day I kept finding fish jump in my overflow, so I built a cover for the overflow with a grate... The fish still tried to jump in the over flow it's just now it flopped on the grate until it died, very dumb. :)

Got a respectable amount of super glue gel on my tongue and the back of my teeth.

I freaked out because of a rockslide that occurred while I was gluing frags onto the rocks and it just didn't register that I previously took the top off of the tube. Good times.

• 6 months later...

I added a flame angel with marine velvet that wiped half my tank.

I over-tightened a union valve and had 5,550 gph hit me right in the chest.

I didn't tie my carbon bag well enough and had a cup of carbon scattered over my sandbed.

I allowed AEFW and bryopsis into my old 125-gallon system due to poor QT measures or lack thereof entirely.

I moved a 180-gallon tank that I had resealed all by myself and managed to crack the bottom pane of glass.

I didn't cover an overflow pipe with a snail guard in my old tank and it overflowed and shorted out some of my equipment.

I overdosed vodka and killed off 3 of my longest living fish (3-4 years with me).

I'm sure I could go on and on but the rest of them has been blocked out by my memory.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Just starting out. What do you mean overdosing vodka. I have seen it a few times on this site.

Archived