Frag Tanks

Sascha D.

Hey all,

So the other day my wife says to me "I think we should put a frag tank in our bedroom."

I played it cool on the outside, cool.png but inside I was like yahoo.gif

So two weeks later she is still asking about it. Rough life right? The problem is that I can't find any frag tanks for a decent price. What kind of frag tanks are you all using?

My criteria are:

Less than $300

Internal overflow

No taller than 12"

Stand if possible

I have a light so that is not needed.

Do you all use a skimmer? I'm imagining a bare bottom tank with frag racks and maybe 10 or 20 pounds of live rock for biological filtration. Some people have a small wrasse in there to control pests. Other than that it will just be frags. I don't imagine a skimmer will pull much out on a consistent basis. If the skimmer is not needed then the overflow and sump aren't necessary.

They both got their portable frag tank that they sell corals out of at swaps from Ebay. The actually frag tank that Richard grows out of was built by a legit tank building company... the name escapes me right now.

post-3185-0-35180600-1430427510_thumb.jp[

So this was my frag tank I built.

40 G Petco breeder for ~ $60

Acrylic sump 3 compartment 10 G for ~ $40

Skimmer PSK 150 for SPS bare bottom and it did pull more than you think it could find $130

Sicce pump 55o gph ~ $95

Oceanstream power head 500 gph ~$50

You have your own lights and can build your own stand for $50 So going all new

w/ your own light ~ $375. Could be done for 1/2 that w/ used equipment from forum. I ran a Kessil Tuna Blue and it grew the poo out of SPS. Only reason I sold it was to fund my 150G build I am working on. I ran 40 lbs rock under my rack and went fishless feeding coral X2 daily w/ Coral frenzy. I did add a used ATO for another $65 with the pump

If I was going with a frag growout tank, I'd run the same route as Reburn or Richard, shallow and deep... easier to place frags, display them, and photograph them in my opinion. The only downside is evaporation and lateral space.

They both got their portable frag tank that they sell corals out of at swaps from Ebay. The actually frag tank that Richard grows out of was built by a legit tank building company... the name escapes me right now.

His small tank came from eBay.

His big frag tank came from Dutch aquarium systems.

I was helping Ty capture his escaped thought.

Are you trying to put my wife out of business? [emoji14]

Are you trying to put my wife out of business? [emoji14]
Lmao. No. It's a full time job. I was just giving her some backup. ?

Wait, frag tank in the bedroom? Does she mean fragging corals or humans?

20 gallon long during a $1/gallon sale works well for a small frag tank on the cheap.

Yea what he said. Don't you have a baby coming. Your going to have a frag tank and a crib in the bedroom?

Is there anyway to put your frag tank by the big tank so they can be plumbed together?

There might be enough work for a part time position as I get older and even more forgetful.

You can't afford me. I don't work for Ty hugs lol.

Frags though.........

...more specifically those delicious looking zoos.

Haha its not exactly a frag. I didn't cut of my arm or anything, but yeah she's due in June. Its our second and last one. Exciting!

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

Last one!? That's what they all say!

the shallow eBay frag tanks that I've seen in person have been really solid build quality.

http://m.ebay.com/itm/All-In-One-Frag-Acrylic-Frag-Tank-Aquarium-/271808307107

This one even comes with racks.

Archived