Frag Tanks

Sascha D.

Connecting the frag tank to the main tank was my original plan. I'm afraid I don't have much room next to the display and if I did that then I would need a narrow tank. My recent turmoil kind of has me leaning towards a separate system so that I will have corals on the side if things turn south in my display.

Ty: "Hey bud, you know you can always convert that closet then you'll have lots of room!"

Thanks Ty! Now you're the voice in my head. It figures that I would get an Asian scientist as the voice in my head instead of a fitness model. hmm.pngLOL!!!

Another option is to drain the tank into my water barrels and then push it a foot or so to the left.

But amazingly enough Ty will find something to say

Sasha,

What is the purpose of the frag tank?

Are you going to start frag swapping?

Is it just to keep frags in for your pleasure?

Is it so you don't have frags in your display?

Is it a grow out?

Knowing what you want to accomplish with the system would help to know which way to direct you.

Hi Reburn,

The purpose is to remove frag racks from the tank. I'm a softie and I try to rescue every piece my tangs break off. I need somewhere to put them. Sometimes I post them for sale and sometimes I just take a load to the fish store when they're 1-2".

I know, I know, the things in my sand bed are not necessarily treasures but they need adopting just the same!!

Hey your not going to hear me give you grief.

I save every piece that breaks off too.

Is it possible to have the frag tank next to the big tank and part of the system? I mean will the wife be ok with that? For what your wanting to do that sounds like the best and easiest course of action.

I vote drain your tank while it's still possible and move it a foot to the left.

Plumb the Frag tank in with its own return pump. And done.

Here's a picture of where the tank sits. There is 9" on the right and 11" of room on the left that I could possibly use. I would push it right and put the tank on the left if I did that.

post-2552-143070315512_thumb.jpg

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

I say use the patented FarmerTy sump/frag tank method where you slap a light over your sump and churn out the frags. No worries about additional equipment and separate water parameters to maintain.

Either that or tap into that closet. You know you want to! [emoji14] Imagine all your winter coats smelling like you just took a trip to the ocean! Your friends will be jealous, your coworkers will want to be you!

I had thought about putting frags in the sump as well. The new plumbing doesn't give me a lot of head room for a light, so I would have to rework it. I probably should have thought of that in the first place. I also wouldn't be able to upgrade the skimmer or add BP if I converted my refugium into a frag section. If only my tank were 60" instead of 48" dry.png

Archived