Dan and Meg's 240 Gallon Long

Dan H

• Replies 740
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How much does this 8 hour from ocean-to-tank shipping cost?

About $90. Not too bad considering FedEX next day air for 100lbs would be pretty close in cost.

Haha yes, but that's for very different reasons.... and the client is paying for it anyway!

John you and I ship, sometimes 8-hour, iced coolers full of water and dirt, regularly. Rocks aren't that weird in comparison.

That really isn't bad, I regularly pay $300 whenever I ship my scientific equipment 2 or 3 day shipping within the country thumbsdown.gif

How much does this 8 hour from ocean-to-tank shipping cost?

About $90. Not too bad considering FedEX next day air for 100lbs would be pretty close in cost.

This is officially the longest 'pre-build' build thread of all time. O wait. There was that one that was going to be majestic and never got built. Do I dare mention it? (Inside joke Dan)

This is officially the longest 'pre-build' build thread of all time.

I'll take that as a compliment. :)

The LR is HERE! Picked it up at the airport around 11:15pm last night, threw it in the tank, looked around with a flashlight for a while then went to bed. Should have some pictures once there is more light. The LR is really quite amazing. Lots of life, didn't smell too strong so hopefully not much die-off.

We may have to cancel 1 of our remaining 2 LR orders as they gave us a LOT of rock. There's no way this was only 60lbs. Also the live sand is great too. Already finding lots of starfish, tube worms, etc... I'm really impressed.

This is officially the longest 'pre-build' build thread of all time.

I'll take that as a compliment. :)

The LR is HERE! Picked it up at the airport around 11:15pm last night, threw it in the tank, looked around with a flashlight for a while then went to bed. Should have some pictures once there is more light. The LR is really quite amazing. Lots of life, didn't smell too strong so hopefully not much die-off.

We may have to cancel 1 of our remaining 2 LR orders as they gave us a LOT of rock. There's no way this was only 60lbs. Also the live sand is great too. Already finding lots of starfish, tube worms, etc... I'm really impressed.

Dan it was very much a compliment. This is a very clean looking build and I couldn't see it having anymore professionalism to it. I absolutely admire the way things Are going for you. When I start my next build, I am really tempted to try some actual live rock. I'm very worried though about what bad things can show up on them. I used all dry rock for my build and, knock on wood, have never had any aptasia, mojano anemones, or any kind of pest in my tank. Seems like it's taken forever to have it really establish itself and I know I have very little diversity in there but seems to have really worked in my favor. Again, I am contemlating using live rock my next build. (Wait my next build is still a secret) no people, Manny is not tearing down soon.

Well, there's no doubt that if you do real live rock you are guaranteed some things you won't like. I've already found some aiptasia just poking around with the flashlight. BUT, it's easy to get them when you can just pick the rock up out of water and kick their little butts. Plus, yes, the biodiversity is awesome.

Upgrade time?

Well, there's no doubt that if you do real live rock you are guaranteed some things you won't like. I've already found some aiptasia just poking around with the flashlight. BUT, it's easy to get them when you can just pick the rock up out of water and kick their little butts. Plus, yes, the biodiversity is awesome.

Upgrade time?

Not necessarily but I'll post about it later.

Live rock scares the heck out of me! One guy on here was finding mantis shrimp 6 months later from his order of Florida live rock.

I like the dry rock method and some seed rocks borrowed from established and safe tanks.

Dan's right though, you can't beat the diversity of live rock... I'm just too much of a control freak that the unknowns make me go the dry rock route.

Archived