Dan and Meg's 240 Gallon Long

Dan H

• Replies 740
  • Created
  • Last Reply

crazy. Well I believe I have a few fugitive aiptasia in my tank that my file fish can't get to. You're welcome to come hunting in my tank!

You call yourself a scientist! The majano wand has been out for like years! doh.gif

It sounds like Dan has the industrial version of it though!

crazy. Well I believe I have a few fugitive aiptasia in my tank that my file fish can't get to. You're welcome to come hunting in my tank!

I, uh, begrudgingly, will accept that offer. [emoji41]

I have 3 safety glasses so you can enjoy the show too.

Ya know, the use of a majano wand is not common in the scientific realm of air quality measurements and ground water remediation!

I never actually looked at a majano wand before today. I always assumed the majano wand was just another form of aiptasia x, which is not compatible in my tank. Pretty interesting stuff! I've always just taken the biological approach to getting rid of them by introducing aiptasia predators and has worked well enough so far with the exception of the tiny ones hidden in rock crevices. learn something new every day!

If any of y'all needed some dead aiptasia, let me know. I may be willing to come blast them. Because I'm nice, not because its fun, nor do I gain any pleasure destroying aiptasia... With a laser. [emoji41]

Shoot. Want to take a 2 hr drive my direction and blast a few in my tank? Lol figured it was a long shot

Last night I took some pictures and videos while feeding the Mantis shrimp some Mysis. Originally I thought he was blue, but now I think he's more of a green with some almost red. He's actually quite pretty. Still very skiddish, but he's a lot bigger than I thought. The other Mantis is alive but he relocated to the back corner of another rock and I can't see him very easily.

The canopy doesn't have it's finish on yet. Robert used dutch oil and some other stuff. It will make sure no moisture absorbs, so it should be good. The canopy is just raw walnut right now.

Thanks.

Tested the water this morning and the good news is that it's already pushing through into the nitrate cycle... So now we just wait until the nitrates come down and we're ready for some animals! YAY!

More good news! Robert said the canopy is done! He's going to deliver it tomorrow! Holy cow this thing just might be all buttoned up this week!

We also finalized our aquascaping and mortared it in place. I'll take pics tomorrow once the water isn't all cloudy.

Last, I have some new videos of killing Aiptasia with the laser. Thanks to a tip from Marc Levenson (Melev's Reef) I found out you can focus the beam by twisting the very tip of the laser. Now the Aiptasia literally crackle like your cooking bacon. It's awesome.

Video of Aiptasia cooking:

In this one, the Aiptasia actually explodes! You can see it's guts pop out!

It was quite loud in person, and actually scared me a bit. But man, that was so satisfying. Seriously, I'm almost willing to go make house visits just to be able to use it more. I'm a little sad that I think we've killed them all in our tank. You know something's wrong when I'm like OH YESSSS! Found an Aiptasia! :)

It was quite loud in person, and actually scared me a bit. But man, that was so satisfying. Seriously, I'm almost willing to go make house visits just to be able to use it more. I'm a little sad that I think we've killed them all in our tank. You know something's wrong when I'm like OH YESSSS! Found an Aiptasia! smile.png

I'm pretty sure Anakin Skywalker was laughing maniacally while blowing up aiptasia with a laser too... path to the darkside Dan... the darkside!

Archived