FarmerTy's 215 build

FarmerTy

I've had good luck with plumbers joint compound on plastic threaded fittings. Does the silicone cause problems down the road if you need to disassemble things?

Nothing an old toothbrush and toothpick can't handle.

Here's an informative website about threads.

http://www.lascofittings.com/threads

Ah, cool. I did not know about the taper on the threads, so that's really good to be aware of!

Based on reading that I think I am using the right sealant. It says it is for PVC and ABS fittings, non-hardening sealant.

• Like 1

Not to mention silicone is easy as can be to break by hand. You can just as easily loosen a siliconed pvc threaded connector by hand as you would one just dry fitted with nothing. It's good at stopping leaks but doesn't actually glue the surfaces together at all

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Not to mention silicone is easy as can be to break by hand. You can just as easily loosen a siliconed pvc threaded connector by hand as you would one just dry fitted with nothing. It's good at stopping leaks but doesn't actually glue the surfaces together at all

But I guess the possible downside of silicone is that a bump can also break the seal because it is a hardening sealant, which has some potential to then leak?

• Like 1

How is your new skimmer doing? Any noticeable increase of performance from the Skimz?

I'm tempted to go the CaRX route instead of using dosing pumps, but it seems the reactors need just as much if not more maintenance than the pumps.

For both being rated similarly, yes, it does perform better as far as skimmate production and even just darker skimmate. I mentioned it in another thread but I'm still a huge fan of the Skimz build quality and performance, I just think they have their ratings a tad higher than they should be.

For CaRX, I've run both dosers and CaRX, though dosers for a much more limited time, and I will say that a perfectly calibrated CaRX in my opinion is way less work. With my old Korallin, I topped off media, recalibrated my pH probe, and swapped my CO2 cylinder every 6 months. That's 2x/year of maintenance for rock solid alk, Ca, and Mg levels... Not to mention probably many more trace elements as you are melting down old coral skeletons instead of just dosing straight calcium and alk like in a 2-part dosing systen.

But I guess the possible downside of silicone is that a bump can also break the seal because it is a hardening sealant, which has some potential to then leak?

Yes, the non-hardening sealant would work much better in that scenario but it would take a lot more than a bump to dislodge the silicone, from my experience. You'd have to give it a good scrape to remove it so a bump would have hardly any impact in my opinion.

This was him the next day... resting the body in his lounger.

9e143276503ce2c82579f34c741f29d8.jpg

Hmmm...now where did he learn that from???

That's me after Tuesday basketball night! shifty.gif

He was trying his best to be an 80's action star, just couldn't hold on long enough!

Stallone made it look easy!

Before

8389e30998b19e0acf413cfd6d32c434.jpg

After

0f0a5f8a7fdfcbd25c9068da46ef3fba.jpg

Who wants my help next in their tank? [emoji12]

I got rid of both the warp speed monti and the sunset monti off the main rock. They were growing way faster than desired and started choking out my acros. I'll do the triple dip on all my acros and then start glueing then back to their final spots over the holidays. Wish me luck!

Put me in line when you frag the Baton Rouge

Look who pops up out of the blue when he smells pretty new acros! It's going to be a bit but when it's ready, I'll frag you one sir.

If you're the impatient type, Jake at RCA has the mother colony sitting in his show tank that I'm sure he'll cut you a frag. It isn't as colored up but it will.