Paint/Cover Back Glass of Tank

prettyfishy76

I have a 150 gallon Deep Dimension tank. Before I get the tank going, I would like to paint or cover the back glass that is next to the wall. I really like the look of not seeing the wall behind it. Does anyone have any suggestions on the best way to do this? I'm perfectly fine using black, but I wasn't sure if painting or using window tint was the better option... I've never painted a tank before, so I don't know the best type of paint to use. Is tint easier? I would like to get the least amount of glare from the back glass as possible if I want to take photos of the tank once it is set up.

I appreciate all of the help in advance.

A lot of people use spray paint. I've used normal acrylic craft paint, which is somewhat removable. You can also use window or aquarium film.

If you want it permanent, I would use a paint. Otherwise if applied correctly the film works really well.

i've only spay painted outside, but with the wind it can cover a much large area than i ever expect. i would take the tank outside to do it. but at the very least i'd turn off all fans and the A/C while you are spraying and cover twice as much as you think your need. someone else may be able to offer better guidance.

Wasnt there a recent thread saying it reduces internal reflection and we should be suspending something a few inches off the back instead of directly on?

I think their source was nick from bml who might know a thing or two on lighting.

As far as painting goes id get a trim kit with mini roller and roll on some paint. Trim kits are about 2 bucks

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4

I covered the back of my tank with a piece of colored plexiglass. Couple of epoxy coated magnets and off we go. That way I can remove it when necessary. I ended up with a mirror finish blue but I know they sell pretty much any color you can imagine.

Not sure where to send you to buy it. My mother works for a plastics company in Dallas so she picked up some pieces of scrap for me.

Thank you for the thoughts and suggestions!

I had forgotten that I already have black semi-gloss Rustoleum paint left over from when I painted my 100 gallon stand/canopy, so I think I will be using this. I stopped by Home Depot on the way home from work today and bought a roller. We'll see how this works. I'm hoping it goes well. I would have loved to have spray painted the tank, but it's already in the house... There is no way I can get it back outside. This would have been a great option, though!

There is a product called plastidip that sprays on and is a kind of rubbery surface when it drys. It can be peeled off if desired and over spray is an easy cleanup, just let it dry and peel it off. It is sold at home depot and Lowe's. I have only used it on my vehicle but I'm sure it would work great on the glass. YouTube it for some cool uses. And I always use spray paint/plastidip out doors...fumes.

agree with 10greef, I use plastidip on the back just in case I want to remove it later on. Only down side is it will rip/tear if you put too much abrasive force against it..

Archived