150g Indio-Pacific Biome

Sascha D.

Do you run this on a controller? If not, a killawatt power meter is definitely a worthy purchase just to know how much energy your tank is using.

The tank is not on a controller atm. I've been debating how useful the controller would be for a system like mine and haven't purchased one yet. Thanks for the tip on the power meter. I'll check it out.

• Replies 965
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Week 8 starts today. I think it would be a good idea to revisit my stocking plan and talk about projects on my list.

Projects

1. ATO - Automatic top-off seems like a distant wish at this point, but I'm not giving up on the dream! So far I have attempted a variety of things to add an ATO to my system. When setting up this tank I opted to get the largest sump possible in order to have a large refugium. As a result, I cannot fit a standard resevoir into my stand. I have tried a 5g bucket, a 10g tank, and a 5g water jug. I suppose a 5g glass tank might work, but the evaporation might cause an additional problem. Despite the problems finding a resevoir, I have also tried out an ATO kit that I got from Drs Foster and Smith, but had to return it because the mounting system was too narrow to fit on my 40g breeder. For the price I paid, it wasn't worth attempting a retrofit. I'm down to looking at DIY projects and thing I have found a good gravity fed project, but I'm having trouble finding a glass resevoir.
  2. Heat - The aquarium currently runs 84 during the day and 82 at night. I would like to lower the temp by an additional 2 degrees without a chiller. I have attempted an open top, reducing the lighting period and replacing the refugium bulb. I have also looked into adding fans to the canopy, but have been unable to find them locally and may have to order them. Additionally, I don't know how to wire the fan safely.

Stocking Plan - There are currently 16 low bio-load fish in the system. I would like to add at least 1 large fish.

Centerpiece Fish (1-3)

Desjardin Tang (Indian Ocean Sailfin Tang)

Emperor Angel - Requires a tank larger than mine. May eat corals.

Moorish Idol - May be too hard to feed. May eat corals. Short longevity in captivity. Better enjoyed at the aquarium.

Yellow Belly Regal Blue Tang

Japanese Swallowtail Angel (Pair) - Slightly costly. Uncommon and interesting.

OneSpot Foxface - Would rather have the more colorful tangs. Too many and can't keep macro algae.

Convict Tang - They remind me of when I lived in Hawaii, but bio-load too heavy.

Hawaiian Yellow Tang

Yellow-eye Kole Tang

Active Swimmers (5-15)

Despair Anthias x3-5

Lyretail Anthias x3-5

Carpenter Flasher Wrasse

Lyretail Mollies - Currently 2 in system.

Blue/Green Chromis - Currently 10 in system.

Utility Fish(1-3)

Six-line Wrasse

Royal Gramma - Currenly 1 in system.

Banded Sleeper Goby

Diamond Watchman Goby

Two-Line Monocle Bream (Scolopsis Bilineatus) - Too large. May decimate sandbed inverts.

Chrimstmas Wrasse (Wife's pick)

Aquarium Staples (3)

Ocellaris Clownfish x2 - I had these on order for three weeks but never received them.

True Percula Clownfish x2 - Currenly 2 in system.

Firefish

Dwarf Angelfish - Contemplating Ebil's, Flame, Coral Beauty, and Potter's. May bully firefish.

Fish I’d love to try

Red Mandarin Dragonet - The tank is establishing nicely, but pod population still too low.

Pearly Jawfish - Decided it was too hard to feed in a large tank

Yellow and the kole tang are usually a good pair and very contrasting. They're also both very active. My one spot kole and yellow tang follow each-other to no end.

A pair of lamarcks angels would be cheaper than the japanese swallow tails. I like the look of the lamarcks personally. Both are pretty tough to find as a pair though.

Yellow and the kole tang are usually a good pair and very contrasting. They're also both very active. My one spot kole and yellow tang follow each-other to no end.

A pair of lamarcks angels would be cheaper than the japanese swallow tails. I like the look of the lamarcks personally. Both are pretty tough to find as a pair though.

Thanks for the advice. I thought about the Lamarcks, but the description says that they may chase small fish. Do you have any experience with this? I also thought about the Watanbei Angels, but read they were prone to a number of fatal diseases from fellow keepers. As far as angelfish go, I think those are my only options. The rest get too large, are difficult to feed or cost too much for me to consider.

I've been thinking a lot about a yellow and kole combo. They remind me a lot of snorkeling. I also thought about making a trio with the convict, but the bio-load is too heavy. I really like Desjardin's as well. There is one selling on the forumn, but for the price I have decided to wait and add all of my tangs at the same time. In the past I have kept Yellow, Achilles, Clown, Sailfin, and Powder Brown Tangs.

Ultimately, I would like something either rare or colorful enough to be interesting to both guests and veteran reef keepers. Any suggestions?

I don't have any directly, but researched the heck out of all the genicanthus as I was/am thinking about one. I think the problem with the watanabei is they're from something like 200 - 500ft so if they aren't collected perfectly there isn't a good chance of survival, short or long term. I think they're the best looking ones, but would probably stay away.

From what I've researched, all of the others have basically the same temperament including chasing fish. Also,they are still prone to nipping but much less than other angels. Seems like the bellus is the worst and the lamarcks or watanabei is the best, but this is just based on anecdotal observations of what I can remember of people posting on them.

Are all the chromis doing well? I had a hard time keeping them from pestering each-other to death.

Regarding the chromis, I think the multiple feedings a day help too. Things tend to fight less when they are all fat and happy. I had a large school before and they all picked each other off until there were only 3 left. I only fed 1x/day so I hope my new theory on feeding them multiple times a day will prove fruitful.

I lost my first Green Chromis today. I'm not 100% sure what happened to him, but he had a pretty nasty gash on his right side. Within 5 minutes of seeing the gasping fish, the body was gone. I would say the BTA injured him as he has already eatten two fish, but I doubt the small chromis could get away from the stickiness! Before seeing the fish injured, there was no sign of stress or injury.

I have been expecting the fish to whittle themselves down one or two while they establish the pecking order so it's not that much of a suprise. So far I'm down from 11 to 10. Nine of them school together regularily most of the day in the top 20% of the tank. The smallest of the bunch spend the majority of the time alone in the bottom 20% of the tank. Hopefully the little guy is allowed to get bigger and rejoins the herd.

I lost my first Green Chromis today. I'm not 100% sure what happened to him, but he had a pretty nasty gash on his right side. Within 5 minutes of seeing the gasping fish, the body was gone. I would say the BTA injured him as he has already eatten two fish, but I doubt the small chromis could get away from the stickiness! Before seeing the fish injured, there was no sign of stress or injury.

I have been expecting the fish to whittle themselves down one or two while they establish the pecking order so it's not that much of a suprise. So far I'm down from 11 to 10. Nine of them school together regularily most of the day in the top 20% of the tank. The smallest of the bunch spend the majority of the time alone in the bottom 20% of the tank. Hopefully the little guy is allowed to get bigger and rejoins the herd.

I originally bought 15 green Chromis for my 150g. 1 died in QT and 2 others died in the 150. There wasn't any aggression. I think the first one died because it was already afflicted with some sort of issue. The 2nd Chromis' tail was rotting just slightly and then the 3rd one had ich. The rest of the group are very hungry and healthy. They get fed 2-3 times per day. They eat frozen mysis, live blackworms and various types of pellets.

When I first put the Chromis in the tank, I had 2 Lyretail Anthias (squamipinnis) - 1 male, 1 female. The Chromis took immediately to the male. They schooled with him. It was really cute, but the Anthias was not a fan at first but he finally got used to them. Everywhere he goes, he has a gang of Chromis following. It's very fun to watch.

I was told to expect a 20% loss of my Chromis and I have experienced that. The remaining fish look like they'll make it. Good luck with yours. They're a fun addition to the tank.

I originally bought 15 green Chromis for my 150g. 1 died in QT and 2 others died in the 150. There wasn't any aggression. I think the first one died because it was already afflicted with some sort of issue. The 2nd Chromis' tail was rotting just slightly and then the 3rd one had ich. The rest of the group are very hungry and healthy. They get fed 2-3 times per day. They eat frozen mysis, live blackworms and various types of pellets.

When I first put the Chromis in the tank, I had 2 Lyretail Anthias (squamipinnis) - 1 male, 1 female. The Chromis took immediately to the male. They schooled with him. It was really cute, but the Anthias was not a fan at first but he finally got used to them. Everywhere he goes, he has a gang of Chromis following. It's very fun to watch.

I was told to expect a 20% loss of my Chromis and I have experienced that. The remaining fish look like they'll make it. Good luck with yours. They're a fun addition to the tank.

funny, i want three chromis in my tank. ordered three, arrived dead. reshipped 3 and one died in QT. so now 2 in DT. ordered a replacement and it arrived dead yesterday. i'm just going to go to a store and pick up the next one.

funny, i want three chromis in my tank. ordered three, arrived dead. reshipped 3 and one died in QT. so now 2 in DT. ordered a replacement and it arrived dead yesterday. i'm just going to go to a store and pick up the next one.

I got mine from RCA. They got 15 in and I grabbed them all. :) These seem like the type of fish to personally pick out at the LFS.

I got mine from RCA. They got 15 in and I grabbed them all. smile.png These seem like the type of fish to personally pick out at the LFS.

yeah, i snuck off to the dome on sunday but they were out of them. actually they were out of all but one thing i went for. anyway, i had a frustrating day this week and decided i'd do some shopping online. since i was ordering several fish, i threw in the chromi. but i'm definately getting the next one at a store. if for no other reason than it seems silly to pay $35 in shipping on a $5 fish :)

I got mine from RCA. They got 15 in and I grabbed them all. smile.png These seem like the type of fish to personally pick out at the LFS.

yeah, i snuck off to the dome on sunday but they were out of them. actually they were out of all but one thing i went for. anyway, i had a frustrating day this week and decided i'd do some shopping online. since i was ordering several fish, i threw in the chromi. but i'm definately getting the next one at a store. if for no other reason than it seems silly to pay $35 in shipping on a $5 fish smile.png

We ordered 27 Green Chromis from Reefs2Go for $1.99 each. One arrived DOA and I lost one. Nobody else has reported any losses so 25/27 is a pretty good survival rate. None came in with ich or any visible diseases. Their return policy is horrible though.

Thanks for the tip Prettyfishy. I read in a SW magazine that they are better suited to schools of 9 or more and to expect some die off. I tried to search for the reference again but couldn't find it. A 20% loss sounds about right and I actually think I should have purchased 15. I wouldn't mind buying another group to the school larger if it would increase survivability. Thanks for sharing your real world experience.

Week 9 Update:

The tank has been doing exceptionally well. Despite not having a skimmer and using tap water, everything in the tank looks happy and healthy with the exception of a Duncanopsammia axifuga coral. It looks healthy, good color, good texture, but hasn't been fully extended in two weeks. I created an forum post for this issue, but can't quite put my finger on it. All of the Green Chromis have been doing well and school regularily. The macros are growing at an excellent rate and I will need to prune them back soon.

I have decided to chronicle my macro collection this weekend. Hopefully I'll be able to identify them all and write a little something about them and how they have been doing.

Stocking Plan Changes:

I have decided to add a sea cucumber to help keep the sand bed clean.

I need at least 10 more large snails to help me keep the glass, sand, and rocks clean.

Scientific Name: Gracilaria Hayi

Lighting: Low - Moderate

Placement: Rock, Free Floating

Growth Rate: Fast

Nutrient Uptake: Fair

Comments: I have this in two places; free floating in my refugium and attached to a rock in my display. This algae will not attach itself to anything and the stems will break if too much pressure is applied by mistake, including inadvertent flow. It's labeled as a fair grower, but in the few weeks that I've had it, I've seen triple growth. Some sites report that some Tangs and Rabbitfish will eat this macro and some say they will not.

post-2552-0-59349000-1380491525_thumb.jp

Scientific Name: Acanthophora Spicifera

Lighting: All

Placement: Rock, Sand

Growth Rate: Moderate

Nutrient Uptake: Good

Comments: I received this macro as a free gift during an online order. Nobody in the group buy wanted it so I put it into my refugium and later into my display. This macro is very calcified and spiny. Most say nothing will eat it and that it can become invasive. So far I have noticed that it will not attach itself to anything as some sites suggest and the brilliant white color does not fade under the T-5's or the simple refugium light. The structure reminds me a lot of a gorgon and my specimens have propagated themselves by fragmentation.

post-2552-0-87267500-1380491538_thumb.jp

Scientific Name: Gracilaria Tikvahiae

Lighting: Moderate to High

Placement: Rock

Growth Rate: Slow

Comments: I also received this macro for free during the online order. So far I have tried display placements attached to live rock and planted in the substrate, but neither have worked. Not knowing if it would survive or not I placed it in the refugium. All three of the springs had their color return to a deep red and appear to be growing at a slow rate. It has not attached itself to anything in the refugium yet. Supposedly very tasty to tangs.

post-2552-0-88833500-1380492753_thumb.jp

Scientific Name: Halimeda Incressata

Lighting: Moderate - High

Nutrient Update: Fair

Comments: I received this macro as a hitchhiker and didn't know it was there. Very rigid and calcified, fish will not eat it. I've had the rock about eight weeks and it has grown from nothing to around about an inch high. I would consider it a slow grower, but I hope it sticks around and creates a nice structure to display in front of the tank.

post-2552-0-29447300-1380493223_thumb.jp

Scientific Name: Gracilaria Parvisipora

Lighting: Moderate - High

Nutrient Update:Good

Comments: Received has a hitchhiker, this macro just sprang up in the refugium and it took awhile to identify. It looks as if it is palatable to fish, but different site differ on if anything will eat it. It has not attached to anything on its own and came in as several small, separate pieces.

post-2552-0-60751000-1380493212_thumb.jp

Scientific Name: Caulerpa Prolifera

Placement: Sand

Growth Rate: Extremely Fast

Nutrient Update: Excellent

Comments: I received this this macro in the refugium pack that I purchased from Aquaculture Ranch. It started as about 5 sprigs and quickly covered 30 inches of sand in my display. I dropped a few sprigs in my refugium as well and I have noticed that it grows much slower without a sand bed. I can see how this species could be very invasive. I have read that it is only somewhat palatable, but other people's first hand experience is that some Tangs devastate this macro. I like the look of it in the display and I find fish resting within the plants often, but you have to be careful not to overload the system unless you want every inch of sand covered. I admit that it might look pretty cool that way.

post-2552-0-56069200-1380493233_thumb.jp

Scientific Name: Halymenia Floridana

Growth: Slow

Nutrient Uptake: Low

Comments: I received this macro as a hitchhiker on a rock that I purchased at Aquaculture Ranch. I'm not sure exactly what it is yet, but my best guess is Halymenia Floridana. It has taken awhile to start growing, but has started spring up seemingly overnight. It looks like it will be a very pleasing macro for the display but may be completely consumed by fish eager to get at it.

post-2552-0-86001400-1380494710_thumb.jp

Scientific Name: Ulva Sp.

Placement: Tumble

Growth: Fast

Nutrient Uptake: Excellent

Comments: I received this macro in the refugium pack that I purchased from Aquaculture Ranch. I split the amount that I got between my refugium and my display. I tried several methods to attach this to a rock but nothing worked and it eventually got sucked in my circulation pump. In the refugium, this macro has grown very fast but can be problematic because it floats on top of the water and blocks light to other macros. All of my fish eat this macro and I see them picking at it whenever present.

post-2552-0-03053300-1380494720_thumb.jp

Scientific Name: Valonia Sp.

Growth: Moderate

Comments: I received this Bubble Algae as a hitchhiker on some LR. Most people find it invasive, but I've always liked it. I find it to be an interesting species and everyone that sees my tank asks what it is. Not palatable to fish, but there are some species of crabs that eat it. Easy to control, each bubble is independent of the group and can be removed by wiggling it slightly. Despite popular belief, in the eight years I've had this macro in my tanks I've never had a bubble break and send spores off to cover all of my rock in algae.

post-2552-0-04791500-1380494800_thumb.jp

This weekend I found a crab in my system. I was planning on keeping a crab free system, but so far I've found two blue-leg hermits and this guy. I'm not quite sure what he is, but it appears to have sweepers and so he's been allowed to live in my tank. My best guess is P. Rosariensis, a type of Porcelain Crab, but others have said that he's not. I'd hate to kill something without reason and generally nobody takes crabs. You can see my What is This Thing post here.

post-2552-0-14897500-1380496250_thumb.jp

post-2552-0-28596700-1380496266_thumb.jp

post-2552-0-02583600-1380496258_thumb.jp

post-2552-0-86763500-1380496273_thumb.jp

Have you tested nitrates? Since your tank is new, how will you deal with that? The reason I ask is because I had just reset up my tank and got macro from Patrick. I can't feed enough to even get a reading for nitrates. But you have more fish than I do. My macro died way back. But what is growing has has attached and looks great. Your macro look good and healthy and your tank looks great. I still think that's a porcelain crab of some kind.

Scientific Name: Halymenia Floridana

Growth: Slow

Nutrient Uptake: Low

Comments: I received this macro as a hitchhiker on a rock that I purchased at Aquaculture Ranch. I'm not sure exactly what it is yet, but my best guess is Halymenia Floridana. It has taken awhile to start growing, but has started spring up seemingly overnight. It looks like it will be a very pleasing macro for the display but may be completely consumed by fish eager to get at it.

attachicon.gifDSC02019.JPG

Scientific Name: Ulva Sp.

Placement: Tumble

Growth: Fast

Nutrient Uptake: Excellent

Comments: I received this macro in the refugium pack that I purchased from Aquaculture Ranch. I split the amount that I got between my refugium and my display. I tried several methods to attach this to a rock but nothing worked and it eventually got sucked in my circulation pump. In the refugium, this macro has grown very fast but can be problematic because it floats on top of the water and blocks light to other macros. All of my fish eat this macro and I see them picking at it whenever present.

attachicon.gifDSC02021.JPG

Scientific Name: Valonia Sp.

Growth: Moderate

Comments: I received this Bubble Algae as a hitchhiker on some LR. Most people find it invasive, but I've always liked it. I find it to be an interesting species and everyone that sees my tank asks what it is. Not palatable to fish, but there are some species of crabs that eat it. Easy to control, each bubble is independent of the group and can be removed by wiggling it slightly. Despite popular belief, in the eight years I've had this macro in my tanks I've never had a bubble break and send spores off to cover all of my rock in algae.

attachicon.gifDSC02023.JPG

Sasha,

I think that the red macro emerging from your rocks is Nemastoma. Your tangs would devour it. It could also be another cousin to Dragons Breath, Halymenia Elongata. Very nice description of the macros. Ulva will attach itself. I suspect spores of sexual reproduction when it does attach.

Patrick

Scientific Name: Gracilaria Hayi

Lighting: Low - Moderate

Placement: Rock, Free Floating

Growth Rate: Fast

Nutrient Uptake: Fair

Comments: I have this in two places; free floating in my refugium and attached to a rock in my display. This algae will not attach itself to anything and the stems will break if too much pressure is applied by mistake, including inadvertent flow. It's labeled as a fair grower, but in the few weeks that I've had it, I've seen triple growth. Some sites report that some Tangs and Rabbitfish will eat this macro and some say they will not.

attachicon.gifDSC02013.JPG

Scientific Name: Acanthophora Spicifera

Placement: Rock, Sand

Comments: I received this macro as a free gift during an online order. Nobody in the group buy wanted it so I put it into my refugium and later into my display. This macro is very calcified and spiny. Most say nothing will eat it and that it can become invasive. So far I have noticed that it will not attach itself to anything as some sites suggest and the brilliant white color does not fade under the T-5's or the simple refugium light. The structure reminds me a lot of a gorgon and my specimens have propagated themselves by fragmentation.

attachicon.gifDSC02014.JPG

Scientific Name: Gracilaria Tikvahiae

Lighting: Moderate to High

Comments: I also received this macro for free during the online order. So far I have tried display placements attached to live rock and planted in the substrate, but neither have worked. Not knowing if it would survive or not I placed it in the refugium. All three of the springs had their color return to a deep red and appear to be growing at a slow rate. It has not attached itself to anything in the refugium yet. Supposedly very tasty to tangs.

attachicon.gifDSC02022.JPG

This macro is a substitute for Red Ogo in the Hawaiian culture. Gracilaria Parvispora also known as Tang Heaven Red is Red Ogo.

Patrick

Have you tested nitrates? Since your tank is new, how will you deal with that? The reason I ask is because I had just reset up my tank and got macro from Patrick. I can't feed enough to even get a reading for nitrates. But you have more fish than I do. My macro died way back. But what is growing has has attached and looks great. Your macro look good and healthy and your tank looks great. I still think that's a porcelain crab of some kind.

I'm not sure I understand what your question is exactly; how will I deal with what?

I agree on the crab. I ended up turning him loose in the tank again. It's only one crab and I haven't noticed any damage yet. I'll probably never see him again though. LOL!

This macro is a substitute for Red Ogo in the Hawaiian culture. Gracilaria Parvispora also known as Tang Heaven Red is Red Ogo.

Patrick

Thanks for chiming in Patrick. I'm confused about the G. Parvispora. Is there more than one Red Ogo? The Red Ogo I got from you looks much different.

Archived