I found me a crab!

Sascha D.

I lifted up a rock this morning and found this little guy swimming around. He's about the size of a silver dollar and a blazing orange color. He wasn't afraid and didn't try to escape while I was picking up the rock. I shook him into a fish bagger and he's awaiting judgement.

Any ideas on if he's harmful or not?

post-2552-0-44193900-1380412702_thumb.jp

post-2552-0-62239500-1380412710_thumb.jp

post-2552-0-26898900-1380412693_thumb.jp

That crab has antennas!

Yeah he does. I've never seen it before. He's also been upside down most of the time I've had him in the bagger.

Pointed claws, I'd remove him

I think I agree. I'm not a fan of crabs.and I think they do much more harm than good. I was a victim of the 1 hermit per gallon rule when I first started. It left a bad taste in my mouth.

Sump him until someone with an FOWLR will take him. I hate killing stuff. Especially something that hasn't hurt anything. That being said he looks dangerous and wouldn't want one in my reef

Sashcha I commend you for not just killing this crab and doing a little research. I found a crab one time that was hairy and blue. He was the size of a pencil eraser and everyone on a national forum said to just kill it and move on. I tried to trap him for years but never could. Then one day I dropped some nori in to see if my mollies were interested (and they weren't) and here comes that crab and ate it. Since then he has grown to about 2 inches across and his claws that are pointy but have little paddles on the tips. I see him once every six months or so eating algae here and there. I'm glad I didn't just kill it.

Did you see the last pic? Looks like sweepers. I could be wrong but he his very similar.

I did see the pic. He's very cute, but a porcelain crab he is not. I love his color, and he would be wonderful in a fowlr, but I would not leave him in a reef.

That being said, I would not kill him either. He should live his life in a sump, no reason to condemn him to death because of what he is :)

Archived