Duncan Closed

Sascha D.

Hi all,

I'm having a problem with my Duncan. He's been closed up for 5 days straight. No extension at any point during those days. I haven't added or removed anything in the last week. All other corals have full extension. No signs of stress or damage to any other corals. No pests spotted on the skeleton.

Any idea what would cause them to close up long term? Should I be worried?

• Salinity - 1.025
  • PH - 8.4
  • Ammonia - 0
  • Nitrites - 0
  • Nitrates - 0

Hi all,

I'm having a problem with my Duncan. He's been closed up for 5 days straight. No extension at any point during those days. I haven't added or removed anything in the last week. All other corals have full extension. No signs of stress or damage to any other corals. No pests spotted on the skeleton.

Any idea what would cause them to close up long term? Should I be worried?

• Salinity - 1.025
  • PH - 8.4
  • Ammonia - 0
  • Nitrites - 0
  • Nitrates - 0

Mine will close up for a few days at a time, especially if i kick up junk during a WC or spot feed them.

• Like 1

They are temperamental sometimes but always survive. I think they are very sensitive to changes and take longer than most to adjust, but they will. Mine has closed for lighting changes, flow changes, and salinity changes for a couple of days but always open back up.

I'd get the salinity double checked by someone with a refractometer (calibrated right before reading). If your salinity truly is 1.023 to 1.025 you should be fine, assuming there wasn't a large swing that just happened to settle in a good range (ATO gone wild or something).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

I have two colonies of Duncans that I bought w/ 2 heads each and now both have maybe 20+ heads. I have had them in two different tanks with totally different ligthing and flow rates. And they have done well in these separate conditions, but two things have always remained constant: Ph and temps. I run my pH at ~ 8.0 - 8.2 and a constant temp of 79 F with the help of a chiller as .Duncan corals are sensitive to high temperatures over 79 degrees F. Anything higher than 8.2 pH and 79 F will have negative effects on the coral which causes it to remain totally closed, .

However, it is normal for Duncans corals to close up for several days, or show very short tentacles for short periods of time. Don't worry when that happens, as this is simply normal behavior, especuially when it grows new heads. Look around the base jusrt below the ring of heads and see if there are new bumps there. .

Only thing I noticed about your params is the slightly high pH at 8.4, this is a little high for Duncans, and you did not list temps..

I have my duncans in daily temperature swings of 80-82.5 F and pH daily swings of 8.0-8.3. Mine closed the most due to abrupt lighting changes over the years that I have had my colony.

I think they are just sensitive in general to any type of swing until they are used to it. They appear to have a longer than usual response to environmental changes and stay "pissed off" for a longer period than most corals I have had experience with. But they always come back and in full bloom after a couple of days. Just my observations.

I regularly have my pH up to 8.4 (daily swing) and temperatures above 79 with no ill effects on my duncans.

It's pretty common knowlege that pH and Temp are the two most sensitive issues when dealing w/ Duncans outside of the most basic of basics such as Salinity. Also tis pretty common knowlege that all corals have different needs concerning lighting, water quality, feeding ect..ect...ect... Some are more sensitive to lighting where others are more sensitive to another quality. But for Duncans they are more sensitive in the areas of pH and Temps as compared to other water qualities or flow ect.... Not saying you cant grow them in higher pH and Temps, just what they are most sensitive to. Corals do adapt but flourish at different levels due to different qualities.

But I suggest you check it out yourself. You can always learn something new! Right? Just cause you can grow threm in a particular situation doesn't make the science wrong. It just means they could probably do better if conditions were improved.

Thank you all for your input on my Duncanopsammia. I hadn't thought about it previously, but I did have a temp change recently.

My temp ranges got a little out of control in August and I had to change my lighting. I previously had a 12 hour DT photoperiod with a 12 hour reverse photoperiod for my refugium. I switched my lighting schedule last week to 8 hours on the DT with a simultaneous 8 hours on the refugium using a lower watt twist CFL. I was previously running 85 during the day and 84 at night. I am currently running 83 during the day and 81 at night. It's still a little hotter than I would like, but I've been having trouble finding a fan.

My Ph has always stayed at 8.4 and my recent tests say that it hasn't changed.

I regularly have my pH up to 8.4 (daily swing) and temperatures above 79 with no ill effects on my duncans.

It's pretty common knowlege that pH and Temp are the two most sensitive issues when dealing w/ Duncans outside of the most basic of basics such as Salinity. Also tis pretty common knowlege that all corals have different needs concerning lighting, water quality, feeding ect..ect...ect... Some are more sensitive to lighting where others are more sensitive to another quality. But for Duncans they are more sensitive in the areas of pH and Temps as compared to other water qualities or flow ect.... Not saying you cant grow them in higher pH and Temps, just what they are most sensitive to. Corals do adapt but flourish at different levels due to different qualities.

But I suggest you check it out yourself. You can always learn something new! Right? Just cause you can grow threm in a particular situation doesn't make the science wrong. It just means they could probably do better if conditions were improved.

There is science showing that duncans don't do well above 79 degrees? I would love to check out someones dissertation on temperatures affect on aquacultured duncans.

I know that a lot of research would disagree on most coral but most of my LPS hate it if my temp goes over about 82, euphyllias included. I use a chiller and keep my temp right around 78. Duncans are a weird coral though. Scare me every time they decide to close up, of which all 3 of my colonies will randomly do without any parameter changes at all.

I kept mine at 80-82 and got great growth. I've got a softball size colony with two mini colonies coming off. Now that my tank runs a little cooler 78-80. Growth has slowed even with more feeding. I'm thinking about swapping my sump CFL for a clip on HPS to add heat and macro growth.

Did not know they were a picky coral. I got them at a good price and as my beginning coral. They also went through getting shocked by a light that fell in for 4-6 hours.

Hey I am not going to hijack Sascha D's thread to prove / disprove anything. Everyone can do their own research here! Sascha has over 10 years experience w/ saltwater and I'm sure he knows the ropes well. Just wanted to point out to him what the most sensitive issues are w/ Duncans for his information.

Sascha I imagine they will come around and I imagine dealing with the new heat issues will help

Good luck.

Andre'

I know that a lot of research would disagree on most coral but most of my LPS hate it if my temp goes over about 82, euphyllias included. I use a chiller and keep my temp right around 78. Duncans are a weird coral though. Scare me every time they decide to close up, of which all 3 of my colonies will randomly do without any parameter changes at all.

So far the Duncan has been the only one affected. None of the leathers, zoas, palys, polyps, Frogspawn or Candycane corals seem to mind. Actually, I'm having the highest amount of extension and polyp growth that I've ever had right now. Hopefully none of the others are bothered before I can adjust the parameters.

I kept mine at 80-82 and got great growth. I've got a softball size colony with two mini colonies coming off. Now that my tank runs a little cooler 78-80. Growth has slowed even with more feeding. I'm thinking about swapping my sump CFL for a clip on HPS to add heat and macro growth. Did not know they were a picky coral. I got them at a good price and as my beginning coral. They also went through getting shocked by a light that fell in for 4-6 hours.

I have been running a 100W 6500k incandescent clip on. I saw AMAZING macro growth but it added about 5 degrees to the temp on my 150g. I had some leftover chaetomorpha sp. about the size of a quarter that grew to the size of a softball in about 4 weeks. So far adding chaeto has been my biggest mistake, but I think I got it all out.

Just wondering if the duncan continued to extend for the last few days and if you have noticed any new heads starting to grow.

I got my temp down to 82 daytime and 81 night, but no changes in the coral yet. There are a few little whiskers poking out but that's it so far. When I got the frag it had three heads on it, two were dead and one was active. I've had it about 2-3 weeks and I did notice one of the "dead" heads starting to grow back yesterday. The head was previously flat and hard looking and now I can see some fleshiness growing on it. It is currently about 1cm of growth.