150g Indio-Pacific Biome

Sascha D.

Alk tested at 124 ppm today.

FTS 5-25-14

post-2552-0-15428500-1401155589_thumb.jp

Niko's had a 20% off sale this weekend and I made a couple of impulse buys. Very much out of character, but I've been thinking about them for a few weeks. Sorry for the bad pics.

post-2552-0-15447100-1401155604_thumb.jp

post-2552-0-81137200-1401155618_thumb.jp

Awh man I wanted to go to Nikos today. Its literally down the street from my current residence. But. I stayed at my moms all day cause im a wuss and dont enjoy driving in the rain after my last accident

I live about a mile up the road so its the only place I go now. They sold alot of stuff over the weekend so going today it would seem empty.

Thought I would share this pic. I started with 1 yellow polyp last year. I recently paid it forward this last week.

badu9ydy.jpg

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

• Like 1

I love the Clown tangs. I had one in 2004, but I had to sell him when I joined the military. Beautiful fish. Niko's had a very nice one in a few weeks ago that tempted me pretty hard, but my current PBT is ferocious! I am birth control sure that I could never introduce another tang or rabbit. When I introduced the angels he went ballistic and chased them around relentlessly. I had to feed him a whole mess of Nori and turn out the lights for the rest of the night. The next day everyone was swimming openly without aggression but I literally thought he was going to kill them that first day.

He's leaving the Yellow alone, but he has the regal hiding, which I was expecting, but he looks good and is eating, he just hides when the clown comes around.

But today I just couldn't say no to another one, which I reached my limit for tangs, so I'm introducing an adult Yellow Mimic Tang, and I'm hoping he'll make the clown get in line.

• 2 weeks later...

You guys will never believe this.

Here's a brief recap, reefs2go.com is having a 50% coral sale. On June 1st they also posted an additional 10% off. I think to myself, "Awesome I can use up all of my credit!" I research some stuff, find what I want, put in the order. I apply my credit, then pay a minimal $6 extra with my credit card. Long story short, I get billed for $35 which means they didn't apply my credit. I wrote an email. Two days, no response. I called 6 times and finally got someone. She says she has to talk to her manager and will call by the end of the day. Two days, no response. I write another email and she answers saying that she hasn't talked to the manager yet. I write her back and tell her to cancel the order. Monday I get an email saying my package has shipped. What! Tuesday the package hasn't arrived. Wednesday comes and no package. I check my email this morning and apparently the post office delivered the corals to my mailbox yesterday! It turns out they shipped a box of corals to me using 3 day mail, instead of overnight, and it sat in my mailbox for a full day before I even found out.

I rush home, open my box and there's a giant label on the top of the box that says DO NOT DELIVER TO MAILBOX

post-2552-0-45019400-1402587672_thumb.jp

If that weren't bad enough, every frag came unattached and / or broken.

post-2552-0-35060300-1402587671_thumb.jp

They probably won't survive, but I have hope. The ricordea didn't look to be in too bad of shape, but the acans were all skeletons. Luckily, I had enough sense not to order any SPS. What a giant cluster ****. How are these people still in business?

Wait wait wait. Birth control sure ?

Lol that's something I always say. It means that it works every single time...until it doesn't work.

I have hope, but I had to acclimate them and then head back to work so I don't know how they're doing right now. I quickly made a little frag rack separate from the rest so that I could tell which ones were a part of this order. I wish I had dipped them, but I figured it would definitely kill them.

No kidding, right Kim? I'm definitely going to dispute it. That's the beauty of using a credit card for every purchase. That and they give me 2% off every purchase and I haven't paid a finance charge in 15 years.

They probably won't survive, but I have hope...

To follow up, I ordered 8 frags with my credit; a Green Florida Ricordea, a Tri-Color Folorida Ricordea, and 6 Acanthastrea Lordhowensis. The Acans are Merry Christmas, Pink Rainbow, Lavender and Purple/Green. So far it looks like all of them may pull through. The Ricordea look fairly healthy and the Acans are all skeletons, but the flesh that is there has color. I suspect that they are fresh cuts.

I decided before I put the order in that I wouldn't report any losses to the company. I expected some problems with the order. A cat is a cat and no matter how much you want him to bark, your cat will remain a cat.

You give me much too much credit Ty. I'm just a squirrel trying to find a nut. Mushrooms and Acans will survive almost anything. That's why I ordered them. If they had been Zoas or Acros then they would have been dead before I even opened the box. Four days in 4oz of water = not good.

Thought I would share a useful way to acclimate corals.

I started with a 6 square by 10 square of eggcrate. Cut one side off each long end and zip tied each cut piece to the bottom. I also added a few drops of glue to each side.

post-2552-140285343644_thumb.jpg

I made it big enough to fit in the fish bagger. Place the bagger in a bucket and start the drip. Each coal fits into the crate securely and when the drip is done you can take the whole structure and put it directly in the tank.

post-2552-140285370455_thumb.jpg

After a few days of observation, I either place them or move then into a frag rack for later. Then remove the eggcrate.

post-2552-140285404374_thumb.jpg

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2