150g Indio-Pacific Biome

Sascha D.

JeeperTy, on 05 Feb 2014 - 1:55 PM, said:

I just do the opposite of what Sascha tells me and the tank has been awesome! poke.gif

Ughh Ty I'm so confused now. If you do the opposite of what I do then should I do the opposite of what you did? If I do the opposite of what you did, then won't I just end up back to what I would have done anyway? Ahhh it's the Matrix! Give me the blue pill. The blue pill, not the red one!!!

• Like 3

Haha you're always quotable. I just wanted everyone to know the secret to success is to do I what of opposite the (the opposite of what I do).

So what does that mean? You were doing the opposite of me and I was copying you and now we're tank bothers! Whaaaaat! That's crazy. rofl.gif

I pulled the WP40 out last night and gave it a good cleaning. It didn't start up right away but I spun the blades manually and it fired up. Of course as soon as it hit the water the blades stopped. It took about 30 minutes but I finally got the blades to spin on full blast in a bucket of bleach water. They were still going an hour later so I turned it off and let the pump soak over night. It seems like any resistance at all stops the pump. When I did have it going, it would stop if I changed the setting.

I sent off an email to customer support yesterday afternoon, but haven't heard back yet. They're probably still trying to translate my question. When I get home I'll try and fire it up. If I'm lucky it will work without any coaxing. If not then I'll try to spin the blades again until they go to town.

I wish I could run it without the wave controller. Anybody know how? Maybe Victoly or Jestep would know!

I have not done it, but for the Reef Angel you can buy a Jebao cable that hooks into an analog dimming port, which is controllable to output 0-10V DC. The cable is $25 from Reef Angel.

Last night was a mess and I didn't get a chance to try the pump again. I did a little searching on the internet today and found out that some other people have had the same problems. Fish Street sells replacement parts for a decent price. I went ahead and emailed them to see if they have encountered this problems before. I imagine that it is the controller since the pump shuts down every time I switch settings. The only way to test would be to try another controller that is known to function properly.

I'll let you guys know what they say.

A funny this has been happening lately. It feels like I'm slowly being pushing me towards an Apex. Coincidentally, I suddenly find myself in need of a new pH controller for the calcium reactor, a new pump controller for the WP40 and an Amazon gift card burning a hole in my pocket. That Apex is getting cheaper by the day!

• Like 1

Dooooo it! I finally got my apex hooked back up after months of not having it. It was totally doable to not use it, but I enjoy the tank so much more with it! Sounds like just the thing you need.

I would really miss my controller. Yesterday I had forgotten to turn my ATO back on after some maintenance. I noticed it at work when checking parameters on the web. So I slowly cycled the ATO a few times during the day (while at work!) to gently get salinity back to where I wanted it. And that's not the first time the controller has saved me ...

Pull the trigger dude on that Apex! And don't listen to that crazy guy Brian. poke.gif

If you end up finding out what happened to your Jaebo pump, please update... especially if you're ordering spare parts. I might order some too. Mine old one died the exact same way. I tried two different controllers on it and also ran it through the Apex... so I at least determined for my pump that it is not the controller that is the issue. You are more than welcome to borrow a controller if you want to try to test yours too.

Same problem though, any resistance and it stops entirely. Even the resistance of the water is enough to stop it most times.

+1. Apex worth every penny. And I don't even use but maybe 10% of it's capabilities.

All this talk abou failing jaebo return pumps makes me really feel good about replacing mine soon

Thanks for the heads-up on the Reef Angel. I wouldn't say it's dirt cheap, but the head unit is cheaper than the Apex head unit. It looks like they kill you in expansion modules though. I like that they have a Jebao cable for the circulation pumps. I also like that the head unit comes with an ATO. However, it only has one pH port where the Apex has two. That means I need to buy an expansion port to monitor the reactor and the tank's pH. To get started I guess I could get the head unit and the wifi module. Later I would need the water level expansion and maybe a pH expansion. Even after buying all of that it would be cheaper than the full Apex without the wifi expansion and breakout box.

+1. Apex worth every penny. And I don't even use but maybe 10% of it's capabilities.

All this talk abou failing jaebo return pumps makes me really feel good about replacing mine soon

The WP40 is a circulation pump so it's not as hard of a hit as the return pump going out. I bought it for $50 a little over a year ago. They have mixed reviews on reliability, but a lot of people say they have had them multiple years without problems. Mine doesn't appear to have anything wrong with it except that it doesn't work. Like Ty said, any resistance will cause the blades to stop but I got it into a bucket of water and it stayed on. What has me thinking that it's the controller is that the pump stops when I change the mode. For example, if I start it on H1 then it will keep running, but if I change to H2 then it shuts down and won't start again until I turn the blades.

I use a hand help ph probe ($12 from Amazon )to calibrate my effluent coming from my reactor into a cup. I just started the reactor thanks to TY but from what I was told is once set it's good to go for 6 months. I have checked it weekly and no change. Although Jim was available to brainstorm I got through all the programming myself. The hardest part was I was using a mac.