Future Site of 1000 gallon ocean

renman303

This is a preliminary picture of where I will be putting my new 1000 gallon Reef Tank. It will take up the upper half of the wall between the living room and master bedroom in my home. I will utilize my current 225 reef tank as either the sump or perhaps sell it off to help pay for the new project. We are moving the fireplace to another wall. Only question that remins is: "Will the foundation support such a beast?"

It will have wave makers and natural sunlight provided by sun tunnels will provide 90% of the lighting and augmented with LED's. The tank will run top of the lower cubby holes down to the top of the fireplace opening (about 48" deep) Width will be 30" and length will be about 12'. The sump will be located in the back yard on the right of the picture (roughly 200 gallons)) in an enclosure with the chiller. We will have to shore up this wall and load bearing in the attic.

The tank will be entirely run on L.R. and ATS as my current 225 gal does now. I am keeping this as natural as possible.

post-155-0-11986700-1367261790_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Is this going to be a reef or shark/ray tank or something else?

I was looking at tank designs with the light tubes. I think many need heavy actinic supplementation to get a more white/blue appearance, but the idea of not running 1.21 Gigawatts ;) on a tank like this is awesome.

You're probably going to want an engineer at least to consult for load bearing work. Imagine that think breaking open in the living room...

@jestep: You are correct about having an engineer give an assessment on the load bearing of the foundation. The tank and water will weigh in excess of 9000 lbs but be spread out over that 144"x30" area. My current tank runs on LED's with a bit of Actinic T5 to supliment. I got rid of 1600w of MH lighting! I really like the idea of natural sunlight. On cloudy or wintery days I can agument a bit with LED's but I'm going to keep it as natural as possible!

@Dustin: My current 225 gallon had a 100 gallon feed trough as a sump. The bulkheads were leaking on it and I just tossed it and replaced it with a 55 gallon long as the sump. works great! I figure I'll get another 200 trough to use as the sump for the new tank as well. It worked well the first time and now I know what to do better and what not to do.

This new tank I figure will take about 100 gallon water change every 10-14 days as there is more room for variation in a tank this size. It will take about 30 lbs of salt every 2 weeks for the water change with nothing else added. I have been mixing my salt at 1.021 to allow for the salt increase in the tank as the water evaporates. My tank has been at a constant 1.025-1.026 for years now and I add no other chemicals. The "10% water change" is the best thing I have done! Not sure what "type of reef" I will run just yet.

Edited by renman303

I'm just curious why you would do a 100 gallon water change so often? Especially on a tank this size.

10% per week is a pretty standard water change regimen.

For those who actually get around to doing it. I'm guilty of passing it up frequently! :(

My tank has been at a constant 1.025-1.026 for years now and I add no other chemicals. The "10% water change" is the best thing I have done! Not sure what "type of reef" I will run just yet.

Seems to be your question was already answered. It is standard practice for the OP to do 10% water changes.

• Like 1

1000 gallons. That is going to be a pretty serious investment. I wouldn't consider that an ocean though. More like an indoor enclosed pond. I wish you good luck on your build.

You are correct about having an engineer give an assessment on the load bearing of the foundation. The tank and water will weigh in excess of 9000 lbs but be spread out over that 144"x30" area.

You're right about that. I can give a few insights on this situation. If you have a solid concrete reinforced slab foundation you should be good to go. As long as everything is completely level you shouldn't have any problems. I would consult with your home builder and see if you can get a set of plans for your home and see exactly what you're working with.

Edited by Ibnzmonkey
  • Like 1

I may be able to scale back to a 5% water change per week merely because of the sheer volume. If I don't overpopulated this is very doable. Coralife has a convenient 3 pouch system per bucket making 50 gallon changes ideal.

@Capt. Obvious: if you recall, the bottom 2/3 was dead. Since, it died back to two frags about 2" each but has come back quite healthy.

@ibnzmonkey: it's a single story home on slab. Hopefully, I'm okay? My neighbor is an architect, he may know...

Anyone know of a good tank builder? I may also toss a curved now front into this mix!

I used Kingfish for my 225 gallon and they did a surpurb job! But, I can't seem to reach them any longer? Any other suggestions or builders?

• 4 weeks later...

Anyone know of a good tank builder? I may also toss a curved now front into this mix!

I used Kingfish for my 225 gallon and they did a surpurb job! But, I can't seem to reach them any longer? Any other suggestions or builders?

Jeff at Pimped Out Aquariums is making mine:

http://www.pimpedoutaquariums.com/

Give him a buzz, I've been very happy so far. Great prices, does both glass and acrylic, been making tanks for ages. Shipping is no problem.