First Time Build

Planeden

OK, so i'm requesting opinions. We seemed to have hit "options overload". I'm looking for four corals to start quarentening. The tanks are about 2 months old, so still looking for super-simple/hardy. I don't think it is ready for SPS yet.

on the list so far:

1. Duncans

2. Bubble

Eventually we know that we want to add:

a. Hammer

b. candy canes

I'm not sure about adding so much LPS at once when i am still practicing maintaining calcium/alk levels. so, i'm thinking some sort of softies to reduce drain.

Anyone have any suggestions? thanks.

Flat worms. At least some of them. I use to have a clown fish that I would put my finger up to the glass and he would eat them. Meanest fish that ever existed.

tried the clown trick. best i got was that she bumped into them and they floated away smile.png.

I've got a duncan frag for you. Just let me know when you want to pick up and i'll have it ready.

thanks, that's awesome. i'll let you know. probably the weekend after this one or so. i'll shoot you a pm when i know more.

What are your calcium and alk levels looking like right now? Have you tested them regularly to get an idea of how there fluctuating? Lps are a really slow draw on calcium and alk it seems like.

What are your calcium and alk levels looking like right now? Have you tested them regularly to get an idea of how there fluctuating? Lps are a really slow draw on calcium and alk it seems like.

i plead the fifth. ok, i have not tested them lately in the main tank. but i only added the LPS to it on sunday and need to do a water change as soon as i can make up some salt water. last i tested my calcium was steady at 400 and alk was 7, i think? but here's what happened...

i didn't listen. well, i did listen to some people, but not the people on here. i started the tank with instant ocean salt which has a lower calcium content than the fluval salt i now have. i was probably supposed to be doing more water changes during hte initial stages so i'd use it up and get better salt. so, with water changes it will be going up. i have gotten behind on my testing, but with luck i'll be able to do a test and mix my water tonight. probably go ahead and do a water change at the same time.

It's been a  month and things have moved into the display.  these are taken around 9AM Reef Standard Time - lights only up to about 30% of max. 

Updated FTS

IMG_2537.JPG

RHS Rock Pile - I just fed them so the dendro and palys are mostly eating.  The royal gramma has been lingering in that cave, but i'm guessing she'll venture out soon.  The zoas have not opened up in their new home yet.  I'm not really satisfied with where the dendro is because most of the day he is tickling the rock above him.

RHS Rock.jpg

LHS Rock Pile - Not much to say, clowns generally hang out on this side and I added the frogspawn.  My accessory rock is part of the rock wall now.  unfortunately, something seemed to have cleaned off some of the macro the first night.  poor rock, it was so happy just a week ago. 

IMG_2539.JPG

Lastly, a question I have been meaning to ask.  These are just pods, right?  Not a concern?  As  get more fish they will get eaten?

IMG_2541.JPG

What about putting the dendro in the cave? Or do you have any other shady spots? Dendros are great for a pop of color in a dark spot in the tank since they don't need light. It helps stop any chance of algae growing on it as well. Just make sure you can reach it to feed. Things are looking great!

It's been a month and things have moved into the display.

What about putting the dendro in the cave? Or do you have any other shady spots? Dendros are great for a pop of color in a dark spot in the tank since they don't need light. It helps stop any chance of algae growing on it as well. Just make sure you can reach it to feed. Things are looking great!
Thanks Kim, I have not settled on the placements yet so I haven't glued anything down. Wich led to an unfortunate accident with the frogspawn. I was adjusting the powerhead and blew it right off the rock. Then I dropped him twice more trying to figure out how I had him wedge in the first time :).

Thanks for the advice. I thought about putting the dendro in the cave, but he has a sixth baby head forming on the top back side that may be hard to feed in the cave, also, the mermaid rock I'm getting aquacultured at Patrick's will replace the current lid that forms the cave. So, I'm hesitant to glue him down in the cave without knowing what will come back from Patrick's. The PAR at that location is probably under 20, so I'm not sure if I can grow anything photosynthetic there. The great thing about the dendro is that I can put it anywhere without worrying about lights.

Excuse the bright morning sun coming in thru east window. I will take pictures tonight. Brad will be here as my apprentice, but he will be my teacher in using this Canon G12.

Temporary lighting on #1 lagoon is 250W MH at 14K color rendition. Combined with morning sun lights intense beams then dappled sunlight as clouds and branches move in the wind. I like the effect.

Your rock has much more light here then at your tank. There is much emerging red macro on all rocks in this tank. I will do PAR testing today. We should talk more about your goals and options. While I can always post pictures, to better serve your needs, you should visit to see your options.

Patrick

post-766-0-64089000-1375708957_thumb.jpg

post-766-0-70970800-1375708992_thumb.jpg

post-766-0-82928000-1375709041_thumb.jpg

looking good. i've been seeing it in some of your for sale pictures and getting a little defensive. but so far no one seems to have made an offer on it so i haven't had to jump in and say "i licked it, it's mine!" :).

that's a good looking mollie (molly?) in front of it in the second picture.

i have been extremely busy lately. we have a sick kitten and i've been hand feeding it every few hours all weekend. hopefully she will be on the mend and we can stop by some evening this week if you are available.

I moved your rock to the lowest light level tank that I have at 55 PAR. I am not sure that I can do much with this rock, if all it sees is

20 PAR. In my opinion, it would be best in your tank.

Patrick

post-766-0-20343100-1375803891_thumb.jpg

Edited by subsea

I moved your rock to the lowest light level tank that I have at 55 PAR. I am not sure that I can do much with this rock, if all it sees is

20 PAR. In my opinion, it would be best in your tank.

Patrick

in my tank it will have 100 - 120 PAR, not using any LED correction factors. as in 120 on the left side and 100 on the right side.

I misunderstood your post to Kim about having 20 PAR at the cave. Your rock has several emerging starts of red macro that I have not identified. I will leave it where it is as I plan on increasing light intensity in this tank.

Yes, the mollies get big fast.

Patrick

I misunderstood your post to Kim about having 20 PAR at the cave. Your rock has several emerging starts of red macro that I have not identified. I will leave it where it is as I plan on increasing light intensity in this tank.

Patrick

yeah, that was 20 PAR under the rocks where the dendro is.

Patrick

Patrick, do all mollies not eat pods, or just special mollies? i'm asking because i'm a bit nutty. i cleaned up my fuge and "planted" the macro in mud and have a little orchard. it is much prettier now and i was tossing around the idea of putting molly in it as a full time gardener. i'm leaning against it anyway because it is a fairly small space (5 gal) and he'd be alone except for a few snails. but it'd be kinda neat to open up the doors and see a molly in a display type fuge.

Also, if your mollies are breeding, and cross breeding, do you have any plans on selling them? two cool things about it. SW people wouldn't have to acclimate them. FW people could reacclimate them to FW and have rare gigantomollies. assuming they maintain their size once they go back to FW. maybe salty dog mollies?

Salty dog mollies. Sounds like the "far side". I put them in every system that I have. Given the time, I am sure the mollies will figure out that pods are a food source.

Yes, in time, I will sell marine mollies for $3.

Patrick

Your rock is in #2 turnkey tank. Lighting at your rock is 105 PAR, using 12K reef spectrum from BUILDMYLED.

After 3 weeks, I have completed the NH4 cycle on both of these tanks. Using 100% mature sand and 100% live rock makes for a quick cycle. The #1 turnkey will be Blake's personnel tank. This will be his first aquarium and I have eliminated the trials and tribulations of the cycle.

Patrick

post-766-0-54781700-1375967981_thumb.jpg

post-766-0-46367200-1375968086_thumb.jpg

post-766-0-32582900-1375968720_thumb.jpg

Edited by subsea

I found a yellow ball sponge that needed TLC. It is on your rock. If it does well and suites you, I will include it as part of the $5 per lb surcharge on your 3 lb rock. At present, there are four different red macro algae touching your rock.

Enjoy identifying. With respect to the lacy red/maroon macro emerging abundantly on this rock, before much longer, an executive decision needs to be made. If it proliferates much more, it would require a bleach bath to remove.

Your rock,

Patrick

post-766-0-72171400-1376075272_thumb.jpg

post-766-0-58535200-1376075316_thumb.jpg

post-766-0-69204000-1376075358_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

very exciting patrick. looks great. i've sent you a pm t discuss getting together for exacutive decisions.

also, just a quick tank update. i'm starting to get some coraline algea on my rocks. mostly purple and red right now. i had no idea that it was soft and would have little tendrals coming out of it, but it makes sense. it has to spread somewhere. i really like the red, so i am thinking i may cut a few pieces that are flapping in the current and put them on different portions of the rock. hopefully some of the green and yellow i have in there will start spreading around, too.

everything, except the zoas seem to be settling in fine in the DT. the royal gramma is starting to hang out with the clowns a little bit. i have been able to see the pistol shrimp and watchman goby the last two days at feeding times. i'm thinking that they had been using burrows in the back part of the tank out of sight until yesterday. i think my pistol shrimp took a shot at me yesterday. i guess i deserved it. i was stirring the sand a little and got a little too close to his hole. he litterally grabbed my chop stick and fired a shot. have to admire his pluck.

sadly, we haven't had time to buy any new stuff yet, so the OT is empty. hopefully next week i will have some time get some stuff.

• 3 weeks later...