First Time Build

Planeden

Probably a molt. But awesome either waySent from my Samsung Galaxy S4

Well, my coral is still a boss.

My Red Sea 4 plug wavemaker box has a night mode (reduces the flow) which I use for the 4 pumps. I think the fish kinda like not being thrashed around at night when they sleep :)

Yeah, I'm just wondering if it is hard on the powerheads to go on and off. But the fish do seem to look for reduced flow areas when the lights were out, so it started me wondering. Maybe a controller is not a bad idea.

Probably a molt. But awesome either waySent from my Samsung Galaxy S4

Well, my coral is still a boss.

>My Red Sea 4 plug wavemaker box has a night mode (reduces the flow) which I use for the 4 pumps. I think the fish kinda like not being thrashed around at night when they sleep smile.png

Yeah, I'm just wondering if it is hard on the powerheads to go on and off. But the fish do seem to look for reduced flow areas when the lights were out, so it started me wondering. Maybe a controller is not a bad idea.

As long as you have powerheads rated for wave makers, you would be fine. I specifically got the Hydor Evolutions because of that.

just word for warning, im a tunze fan boy. The nano streams still make a clicking sound when cycliing. The 6025 and 6045 are known chatter boxes, i.e. they have a REAL hard time with on/off.

just word for warning, im a tunze fan boy. The nano streams still make a clicking sound when cycliing. The 6025 and 6045 are known chatter boxes, i.e. they have a REAL hard time with on/off.

That is a real good point. In the past I have used some other powerheads with "wave-maker" kits on them (I am grasping at straws for the brand right now), and they rattled to no end turning on and off. Scared my fish to death... so much so, my tangs constantly hid.

The Evolution pumps have been pretty quiet turning on and off.

Someone asked if i had any FTS last week and I thought it was rude to just say "somehere in my 16 page build thread". So, not much has changed except for the havoc my pistol shimp and goby are doing to my beautiful sculpted sandbed :). The ugly fake coral is going to go, probably soon, as the clowns have shown no interest in it. Spoiled little brats will just have to wait for a real nem.

Main Tank - I'm going to do some vacuuming of the sandbed in front soon to get rid of some of that algae. the red stuff (maybe cyano?) is starting to bubble up to the surface.

post-3177-0-08826200-1374700190_thumb.jp

Observation Tank - 4 days left before going to the main tank. When I took out the hydroids, or whatever it was, i killed a lot of the macro on top of my "accessory rock" from subsea. What is left still seems to be going strong. Two things were interesting. I thought there were two different types on top. One had tubes that were full of fluid and slippery. The other was flat but slippery. Some of the full of fluid ones have now collapsed into flat. So, I'm guessing they may have been the same kind. Secondly, buried in what was a thriving crop of macro, seems to be a single sprig of red grapes that i didn't know was there.

post-3177-0-01064400-1374700216_thumb.jp

Dennis,

Your thread is kicking.

I moved your rock into the Red Zone. With at least six different Red Macros, it is my new name for the Red Planet. I completely removed both horticulture fixtures and replaced with power compacts: super actinic and actinic white... I like it best for identification and detail. When you have time, come visit to discuss details on designing this rock for your tank.

Laissez la bonne temps roulez,

Patrick

post-766-0-55267400-1374851754_thumb.jpg

post-766-0-37943300-1374851837_thumb.jpg

post-766-0-02384000-1374851901_thumb.jpg

Edited by subsea

it looks good in that tank. are you going to be sad to let it go?

it looks like there is a little piece of red macro attached to it on the right center side, but i can't tell what it is. it looks like it could be hayi or dragon's breath. can you tell?

also, is the brown finger thing attached to it? is that a gorgonian?

thanks for the pictures. our excitment over it is growing. it looks like it is propped up with a gap under it, too, so it will have the same shadey spot in your tank as it does in mine.

we will try to through that GOM hitchhiker link and see if we can't make it out there next week for a design consultation. i've also been going through some macro pages and making a list of things that i like. i don't think that the commitee has reviewed it yet.

one a semi-related note: the other day i was looking at my accessory rock and i watched thomas the bristle worm (the biggish guy that's at least 3" long when he stretches) trying to pull off a chunk of my macro off. it was amazing. he looked like a snake trying to swallow something that seemed way to big for it. he got the end of a leaf in his mouth and was tugging on it like a dog with one of those rope toys. strangest thing i've seen in the salty water so far. no one seemed to be harmed in the exchange.

The sprig of red on your rock is Gracilaria Hayi. The gorgonian branch is not attached. The mother colony is located on the left.

Good fortune with your ravenous worm.

Patrick

The sprig of red on your rock is Gracilaria Hayi. The gorgonian branch is not attached. The mother colony is located on the left.

Good fortune with your ravenous worm.

Patrick

thanks. and good news on the Garcilaria Hayi. The goby/pistol have been doing their best to destroy every last bit I have in the main tank. I still have a good crop in the OT, though. So, I may try to transfer some down. Although, they also shifted my Feather Calpulra towards the front where it is getting better light. I think it may be out of its Ponn Farr, but has only been there a few days. Maybe it has just finally worn itself out and needs a little break from all the romance.

Very cute way to say, seaweed went sexual. Out of all the feather Caulerpa, C.Parvispora is every bodies favorite food.

Patrick

i like playing with words and anthropomorphizing pets. apparently macro is a pet in my world. maybe i should get a dog.

i'm still thinking about getting a molly to nibble around the edges. from the sounds of it, it seems that may be a good way to keep my macro well tended but not have an exctintion level event. i've kept my current molly in my FW tank alive for almost four months (knock on wood), so maybe i've kicked my bad molly mojo.

Break the mojo. Bring in the macro.

With increasing summer temperatures, the 4' deep tank had risen to 81.4 degrees. Before purchasing salt for this large system, I needed control on lowering temperature of 40K lbs of water. Bring in the fountains. In 12 hours from 7PM till 7AM the next morning the temperature decreased from 81.4 to 77.4. degrees. That is almost 1.5 HP of refrigeration using 1/4 HP PUMP.

Come out and visit. I will make Red Ogo Chevichee with the BBQ.

Laissez la bonne temps roulez,

Patrick

post-766-0-35951500-1374862419_thumb.jpg

Edited by subsea

so, not conclusive, but the nitrates have been holding steady at 5 ppm in the main tank for the last week or so. but, for the first time my test is showing phosphate. well, i say for the fist time, it is also the first time i have checked it in weeks. so, i'm happy that my nitrates seem to be stabilizing.

It's been a month and things have moved into the display. these are taken around 9AM Reef Standard Time - lights only up to about 30% of max.

Updated FTS

post-3177-0-45486100-1375211289_thumb.jp

RHS Rock Pile - I just fed them so the dendro and palys are mostly eating. The royal gramma has been lingering in that cave, but i'm guessing she'll venture out soon. The zoas have not opened up in their new home yet. I'm not really satisfied with where the dendro is because most of the day he is tickling the rock above him.
post-3177-0-28603000-1375211750_thumb.jp

LHS Rock Pile - Not much to say, clowns generally hang out on this side and I added the frogspawn. My accessory rock is part of the rock wall now. unfortunately, something seemed to have cleaned off some of the macro the first night. poor rock, it was so happy just a week ago.

post-3177-0-99523600-1375211866_thumb.jp

Lastly, a question I have been meaning to ask. These are just pods, right? Not a concern? As get more fish they will get eaten?

post-3177-0-82451800-1375211987_thumb.jp

Maybe copepods. Looks to small for amphipods. Can you see them move?

Patrick

I never can remember which ones are which, but "the tiny ones" I guess are Copepods. In the water column they seem to be not just floating with the current. On the glass the are moving, but it could just be with the current. I'll have to stare at it more this evening. They do not seem to be wiggling around, just flapping wisps anchored to the glass. But they come back quickly when I clean the glass.