Internet service provider? Using Uverse, is there better/cheaper?

FarmerTy

Topic says it all. I am currently using Uverse and was just wondering what everyone else is using and their experiences with it. I am happy for the most part but wouldn't mind finding a better value for now until Google fiber gets here in 2014.

-Ty

I reluctantly use time warner, which is a 20Mbps downstream speed here, but I've used ATT as well. They are all pretty bad around here. For some reason the best uverse I can get at my house is less than 1Mbps. We haven't had cable for 8 years now, so downstream speed is important, since we watch netflix, amazon, and hulu fairly often. 1Mbps doesn't anywhere near cut it.

As long as you don't ever have to use anyone's tech support and you don't mind their price unilaterally creeping up every year, they're all about the same. I would go with whatever has the best speed for the money. You're 3 options are TW, ATT, and Verizon FIOS if it's available at your location.

I reluctantly use time warner, which is a 20Mbps downstream speed here, but I've used ATT as well. They are all pretty bad around here. For some reason the best uverse I can get at my house is less than 1Mbps. We haven't had cable for 8 years now, so downstream speed is important, since we watch netflix, amazon, and hulu fairly often. 1Mbps doesn't anywhere near cut it.

As long as you don't ever have to use anyone's tech support and you don't mind their price unilaterally creeping up every year, they're all about the same. I would go with whatever has the best speed for the money. You're 3 options are TW, ATT, and Verizon FIOS if it's available at your location.

A friend of mine was on uverse and they throttle her speed down to around 1Mps. She called tech support and was told they are slowing it down to drive people to ATTs new fiber optic or whatever. Unfortunately, they won't be installing the fancy network on her street. She switched to TW.

I don't know anything about the super high speed stuff (50 Mbs) services.

I loved uverse until I had to deal with their customer service. I mailed the boxes to the wrong facility (but the address the lady on the phone told me) and a year later got a bill for $800 because they never received it.

Had to go through a bunch of nonsense and show receipts of it being sent to the facility the lady (that barely spoke English) told me to send it to.

Right now I pay $60 for 12mb at ATT. Based on speed tests averages I'm right about 11.5mb. Back when I lived in Dallas we used to have Verizon fios and we paid $30 a month for 15mb download and 5mb upload. Ohh the good ol days.

Note: Having the 5 mb upload was awesome for gaming. Back when I owned an xbox...hmm.png

• Like 1

wait for fiber, but I currently run TW Business class at the house. The SLA (Service Level Agreement) for BC is 99.8% uptime guaranteed. And honestly, in two years, its NEVER gone down. It also gets me 4 static IP's, two dedicated channels of prioritized voip and 2 ports of POTS support. The price is higher than standard TWC but again, the quality of service is outstanding!

Try a speed test on the FCC website

Hrmmm. Needs an address AND Java to run it. No thanks.

That's fine but your twc/AT&T sponsored speed checks are extremely bias and set to show you what your paying for not what your actually getting.

I used speedtest.net the first time.

Ran it tonight on:

speakeasy.net; 18.48Mbps down and 0.98 up going to some server in Dallas

cnet's: 15500 kbps down

verizon: 21.2 Mbps down, 0.97 up

TW: 24.51Mbps down, 0.98 up

testmy.net: 19.6 down, 771Kbps up

speed.io: 25.367Kbps down, 259Kpbs up (http://www.ghacks.net/2008/09/11/a-reliable-broadband-speed-test/)