New Member Saying Hello

Neon Reefer

Hey Guys

Just wanted to say hello as I joined ARC today, and give a few stats. I have enjoyed reefing for one year now and have 2 tanks. I have participated in other national reefing blogs and wanted to go local as the addiction is taking hold where I intend to do more than just absorbing info. I intend on joining in this Sat at the show and am looking forward to meeting other reefers. I intend on continuing to gain info and will be starting an SPS dominated DIY tank build this summer. Hope to get lots of feedback and be able to pick lots of brains here as well as contribute in any way possible.

JBJ 28 G NC CF 105 watt w/ 20w LED 460nm suppliment. This tank is a mixed reef LPS heavy w/ some SPS Acros, Birdsnest and Monti. I have 40 lbs of Deep water Tonga Plate rock and 1/2 inch crushed coral substrate. The return is set up w/ an accel 250GPH X2 on a wavemaker. Powerheads = 2X JBJ 500GPH on a wavemaker. Filtration = mechanical sponge only w/ a 2 Lil Fishy 150 reactor loaded w/ 25 grams GAC and 25 grams GFO. Lighting runs on a dual timer w/ 20 watts LED from Noon to 1:00PM and then 105 watt CF on from 1:00 PM till 8:30PM and LED continues till 10:00PM I have a 1/10 chiller set ar 79F and the params on this tank are Ca 400-450ppm, Alk 8.0-9.0 dKH, Mg 1350-1500ppm, NH3 = 0.0, NO2 =0.0, NO3 = < .25, PO4 = < .02. I use Tropic Marin Pro mixed to 1.025 SP and top off by hand w/ RODI at 0.0 TDS. Suppliments are done by hand after testing w/ all Red Sea Pro testing equipment, and I utilize Salifert's All in One as well as SeaChem Reef Builder and Reef Calcium when needed. In addition I dose 5 ml Fluval iodine X1 monthly and 10ml StartSmart for saltwater X1 monthly. I do 10% weekly water changes and test and adjust Alk andf Ca x2 weekly. Live stock = 4 Goby, 2 Skunk Cleaner Shrimp, and a CUC = 15 mixed snails and 15 red legged crabs. Currently I have near zero algae, and tank is not under attack.

JBJ 12 G NC LED w 5blue and 3 white Cree 1.3 w/ reflector + 5 watts additonal LED 460nm suppliment. I have 18lbs of mixed Tonga and Reel Reef Live Rock Shelf. This is a Zoa garden w/ multiple Zoa frags and colony, Assorted Paly and one hitch hicker SPS encrusting coral of unknown origin or species. In addition there is one medium GSP which is hosted during daylight hours by a mated pair of Skunk Clown fish. Only other inhabitant is one Skunk Cleaner shrimp and a mixed CUC. Lighting runs the same as above hours. This is a stock tank and I run Mechanical sponges stacked X3 for wet / dry to upflow thru ceramic disc bags X2 then thru carbon bag and Purigen / Phosguard bag. Temp set at 79 F on a Fluval heater.. The testing and suppliments utilized are the same as above but this tank runs NO3 at 25ppm andd PO4 at .06ppm. Currently i have near zero algae and tank is not under attack.

post-3185-0-70810100-1365008377_thumb.jp

wow....I assume those were not taken by the phone camera!

They probably have an S3 or similar phone, I can see it getting those great pics! (makes me want to trash my iphone each time I see good phone pics)

Yes those were taken on an Iphone

Tell us your tricks! I can not for the life of me get an Iphone to take a pic like that. So ready to turn my iphone in an aquascape and get a new phone

The I5 has made some sinificant improvements. However, i run everything thru Photobucket for fine tuning and then save back to the phone photo list.

Hey does anyone understand how to change ID /user name here. I want to run as Neon Reefer but i cant seem to locate how to change from the generic assigned user name and logo "Guppy" name. I mean wht is that anyway?

The I5 has made some sinificant improvements. However, i run everything thru Photobucket for fine tuning and then save back to the phone photo list.

Hey does anyone understand how to change ID /user name here. I want to run as Neon Reefer but i cant seem to locate how to change from the generic assigned user name and logo "Guppy" name. I mean wht is that anyway?

It may be only available for premium members. Check in your "My Settings" panel and see if there's a display name tab.

OK going to make upgrade to premium member when I get to a secure link at home. Lunch break over. Ill catch up this afternoon. Thanks and i think it is going to be great talking w/ some local reefers for a change.

Later

Neon Reefer

• 3 weeks later...

All I have handy is a few up close shots on my phone. On lunch break at work on tablet. But here goes.

Very nice livestock and pictures.

Did I read correctly about your substrate being Florida Crushed Coral at .5" depth? I use Caribsea at 2mm-5mm grain size in my high nutrient lagoon tanks. How do you maintain your substrate?

Patrick

Archived