pico contest rules thread.

aggieMEDIC

So here are my thought on this. the idea of the budget was to level the playing field. I think the budget limits that were set for livestock are more than adequate. the idea of the slush fund was to settle the debate about getting tanks for different prices and saving $ by building a diy vs an AIO vs something else.

One idea was to split tank and equipment and livestock and corals. but if we do that then others (including me) lose our slush fund that we had set aside for livestock or corals (if i had set it aside for equipment it would not change).

Another would be to make ANY leftover in ANY budget move to a slush. In that case why have individual budgets why not just say "limit is $550, GO!"

I vote that because the contest has already started we keep it as is and not make any changes. its not any different than it was when you started the contest. we can then take these ideas and incorporate them into the next contest.

With that being said lets figure out how to make this a club sponsored event. I know Capt. Obvious, who was working on getting prizes, has gotten prize offers if it is. Neptune comes to mind as one that said they would offer something up if it was sponsored.

That is my $0.02. take it or leave it.

This is exactly in line with my thinking. Having the extra tank money available for equipment made sense to me because it's kind of the same category anyway. Having all the extra money go to whatever category is the same as not having separate budgets at all. But I'm open to what everyone really wants to do. The rules need to stay firm at some point soon though.

I am okay with keeping rules as is. Mostly I needed clarification to make sure the slush fund only applied to left over $ in the tank budget. I think this is a good experience to remember for our next contest grin.png .

Can we start a discussion or just get some clarification about the corals all needing to be aquacultured. It seems like such a simple rule (and a great one) but I find myself wondering about a few things. Sorry if this is a dumb question, but what about plates? I have one that grew out of a piece of rock that was a complete surprise. The tiny beginning of it came from the ocean, so unless I were to be able to cut a frag from it, it's never considered aquacultured, right? Even though I've had it for at least a year if not two? Same for another plate, came right from the ocean and has been in my tank for over a year. It seems the obvious answer is no about the aquacultured part but wanted to put it out there.

Good question kim! im also wondering this! I have a gorg growing in my display tank I want to use. As gorgs usually come from the ocean, im assuming its not aqua cultured. As soon as i cut it and move it to my new tank tho, i would be aqua culturing it making it able to be used right? also would i only be able to frag 1" to be used in the pico? 1" seems small for something that wouldnt even grow in 6 months

• 3 weeks later...

I don't think anyone should be out yet. I say as long as you're making some effort you're good! Some of these tanks are really cool because of all the extra work, and that's making them take longer to be wet. I think it's worth it.

• Like 1

Rules:

Budgets:

1. Tank: $150 - unused goes to “slush fund”
  2. Livestock: $100
  3. Corals: $150
  4. Equipment: $150
  5. Salt, Chemi pure, Purigen and things that are necessary for livestock health, including supplements and other additives do not count towards this budget, simply for the health of inhabitants.
  6. Any free items received from any source must be deducted from the allowed dollar amount, unless all participants receive an identical item.
  7. Items posted for free in the “Free” section of the forum will not be deducted from the budget as all participants have access to those items.
  8. Live rock will deduct $3/lb and live sand will deduct $1/lb from the EQUIPMENT budget.
  9. The costs for shipping and taxes do not count against your budget.
  10. You may not increase your budget by selling equipment/livestock/corals from your system. (ex. AIO owners may not sell the original light and add the value to your budget)

Modifications

1. Modifications to the aquarium (DIY or AIO) are not required but are allowed, the costs incurred will be deducted from the equipment budget.
  2. Plumbing should not be used to increase the total water volume.
  3. The cost for plumbing fittings will be deducted from the equipment budget, the plumbing itself is not deducted. Fittings include LockLine, bulkheads, elbows, JACO’s and the like.
  4. Participants may not modify or add anything to the aquarium that will increase the water capacity by more than 2.5 gallons. The rear sections of an AIO system are NOT considered a sump.
  5. Any used or re-purposed equipment is allowed, cost will be deducted at fair market value unless proof of cost is provided.
  6. Use of a controller is allowed but full cost is deducted from your EQUIPMENT budget. (including costs of DIY controllers with the exclusion of wire costs)
  7. Heaters, fans, chillers, ATO’s all count against the Equipment Budget.
  8. Any circulation pump, powerhead or HOB filters are allowed. HOB filters must conform to the sump rule. If you purchased an AIO and wish to upgrade your filter or return pump you must deduct the cost of the new/used pump (or any mods) from the equipment budget.
  9. Any method of lighting is allowed, and will deduct from your equipment budget. Upgrading from the original AIO lighting will deduct the cost of the new light from the equipment budget.
  10. Any hardware used to elevate the light above the water is done at no cost.
  11. Stand and Canopy are optional and NOT required and do NOT deduct from the equipment budget.

Livestock

1. All corals added to the aquarium must be aqua-cultured. In simplest terms this means you must use frags or grow out from an existing system, nothing straight from the ocean
  2. Fish additions are preferred to be aqua-cultured but not required.
  3. The aquarium may be set up as a reef or fish only as long as all items are marine.
  4. The utmost importance must be placed on the safety and health of all inhabitants. DO NOT use anything that cannot survive long term in the pico environment (year+).
  5. All tanks must be set up no later than February 15th, and no sooner than January 15th.
  6. FMV price should be assigned to all livestock taken from another of the owner’s tanks. Frags obtained in this matter must begin as a frag less than <1” either tall or round.

Documentation

1. Each participant will be responsible for a build log (min 3 photos) as well as photos at the beginning of each month (min 1).
  2. Final photos (left, right, FTS, and 2 “freestyle is required for final judging. You may include a short (no more than 60 sec) video in addition to the required photos.
  3. The aquarium as a WHOLE must be original. Any issues must be addressed during the initial set up and the related photos. 51% vote is required to disqualify an aquarium.
  4. Stocking and equipment lists must be finalized 30 days prior to voting.

General Rules

1. Any tank under 6 gallons is acceptable. Any disputes will be settled by Manufacturers rated volume or measurements for DIY tanks.
  2. Each individual may start any number of aquariums but may only submit one (1) for judging.
  3. Anyone breaking the rules or not resolving a problem for any of these rules will be excluded from voting and disqualified from the contest.
  4. HAVE FUN AND BE CREATIVE! This is supposed to be enjoyable for all, so please be

considerate when making any decisions about what to do (in short, be honest).

5. The contest will end July 4, 2013. Voting will begin the following week.
  6. The winner will be announced the same day as the July meeting.
  7. You must be a member to participate.
  8. Popular vote will decide 3 finalists, a panel of 3 guest judges will determine the winner from the 3 finalists.

This is exactly in line with my thinking. Having the extra tank money available for equipment made sense to me because it's kind of the same category anyway. Having all the extra money go to whatever category is the same as not having separate budgets at all. But I'm open to what everyone really wants to do. The rules need to stay firm at some point soon though.

The rules need to stay firm at some point soon though.

This is why I am thinking we should leave it alone.

Not trying to be a downer at all but rules are posted and we agreed we need to stick to them.

Edited by (Bio)³
  • Like 1

From my understanding it appears photos need to go in 2 different spots. A build log and somewhere else right? Also the 1 picture a month does not specify having water or even being a FTS.

"Each participant will be responsible for a build log (min 3 photos) as well as photos at the beginning of each month (min 1)."

Edit...

I guess it's this piece your talking about in the Livestock section

"All tanks must be set up no later than February 15th, and no sooner than January 15th."

I think the rules stated you had to enter by feb 15. But by starting a build thread that is entering. so you should be ok. I see dead people. Then I bring them back to life.

pulled the post up a bit to show what I meant.

I think the feb 15 deadline is going to prevent anyone else from joining but everyone in should still be in right?

JUST SAY YES, I want to see the awesome tanks! (and often people do better when they have a chance to win a prize)

• Like 1

Good questions with "tank set up" not defined and how to document progress. For instance, we've only taken one picture so far to show that the tank was not wet prior to the January 15th start date. The tank is now wet with live rock a cuc team, but we haven't taken any recent pictures. Do I need to take a picture of the tank today showing that its running to avoid being disqualified?

• 3 weeks later...