pico contest rules thread.

aggieMEDIC

serious question:

What would the FMV of a faulted powerstrip be? I want to scavenge the outlets out of it for my controller and a broken one is just as good as a new one to me, but much cheaper (free)

Value is zero IMO.

• Like 2

serious question:

What would the FMV of a faulted powerstrip be? I want to scavenge the outlets out of it for my controller and a broken one is just as good as a new one to me, but much cheaper (free)

Value is zero IMO.

I tended to agree (as it is not like you could sell it or anything). I just wanted to get the crowd sourced consensus.

I think it's a good idea to reward resourcefulness when someone goes to the trouble to dig out old equipment or find it used, even if it's in their budget to buy new. Which is sometimes less trouble!

I say the value is 0 also.

Just to play devils advocate I did buy a faulty DJ power strip for $10 by faulty I mean 1 outlet was stuck on but it was going to be on my filter so I wanted it that way.

I like to upcycle and enjoy watching others resourcefulness, after all it wont always be here.

So if tank budget is $150 and equipment budget is $150 then I can spend $300 on equipment with the tank fund going to slush if tank was free?

Same thing with livestock. If I don't want to put any fish in my tank but want to get some really expensive corals I can move the $100 livestock fund into the $150 coral fund as a coral slush fund of $250?

So here are my thought on this. the idea of the budget was to level the playing field. I think the budget limits that were set for livestock are more than adequate. the idea of the slush fund was to settle the debate about getting tanks for different prices and saving $ by building a diy vs an AIO vs something else.

One idea was to split tank and equipment and livestock and corals. but if we do that then others (including me) lose our slush fund that we had set aside for livestock or corals (if i had set it aside for equipment it would not change).

Another would be to make ANY leftover in ANY budget move to a slush. In that case why have individual budgets why not just say "limit is $550, GO!"

I vote that because the contest has already started we keep it as is and not make any changes. its not any different than it was when you started the contest. we can then take these ideas and incorporate them into the next contest.

With that being said lets figure out how to make this a club sponsored event. I know Capt. Obvious, who was working on getting prizes, has gotten prize offers if it is. Neptune comes to mind as one that said they would offer something up if it was sponsored.

That is my $0.02. take it or leave it.