pico contest rules thread.

aggieMEDIC

Just repair and deduct original tank amount without repair since that's the price you would pay if it wasn't broke

I agree with this

Ditto

Kim, I think this applied to equiptment as well. If you buy an HOB filter and are able to sell it then you can deduct the sales price from the total. If you cannot sell it then I would assume you have to add it to your total since it would be considered a backup. Think there was another example of this earlier on as well.

Well in my case right now nothing is broken. I want to just use my little azoo filter while I get the ac70 ready, which will be a while. Both are used and just sitting in my stash. Just curious if I start out with the azoo then switch to the ac70, if both count on my budget together. Like once something gets put on the tank, is it forever deducted? They're both very inexpensive, but I thought this might come up for others as well as people realize they need more or less flow, light, etc.

I personally feel you should have a small trial time with the equip.

Say you do your azoo to hold you over till the ac70. How about you get 1 week with the azoo and if it isnt replaced with the proper/wantedd equip by then the azoo will be deducted. It is then at the users choice to swap to another filter.

I want to see a trial time because 1. I dont know about all the nano equip and want a small chance to see if it is what I like. 2. What happens if the equip you chose is too loud or too dim for your needs and you bought it online? It wouldn't be fair to deduct for something that isnt really going into your tank. (you can't abuse this rule by swaping the azoo out on day 6 then the ac70 on day 6 and go back and forth. Each equip has 7 days, you used 6 on your trial you only have 1 more trial day left. And not allowed o buy tons of filters and swap each on day 6 claiming trial just to expand your budget *ghost budgeting is evil and left for governments*)

I'll wait for others opinions and thoughts.

• Like 1

I personally feel you should have a small trial time with the equip.

Say you do your azoo to hold you over till the ac70. How about you get 1 week with the azoo and if it isnt replaced with the proper/wantedd equip by then the azoo will be deducted. It is then at the users choice to swap to another filter.

I want to see a trial time because 1. I dont know about all the nano equip and want a small chance to see if it is what I like. 2. What happens if the equip you chose is too loud or too dim for your needs and you bought it online? It wouldn't be fair to deduct for something that isnt really going into your tank. (you can't abuse this rule by swaping the azoo out on day 6 then the ac70 on day 6 and go back and forth. Each equip has 7 days, you used 6 on your trial you only have 1 more trial day left. And not allowed o buy tons of filters and swap each on day 6 claiming trial just to expand your budget *ghost budgeting is evil and left for governments*)

I'll wait for others opinions and thoughts.

This sounds very fair to me.

Don't know if this was covered but is there a problem if I don't put water in my tank the first month? I'm still waiting on stuff to come in the mail and more money as well since i had to get another return pump for my current tank.

I can post pics within the first month of my progress but really haven't decided what's officially going in the tank yet until I can collect from the tax man.

Question about slush fund: The rules only mention this fund next to the tank amount. Does the rule also apply for any other category. I.e., if I only spend $50 on livestock, can the remaining $50 go into the slush fund.

Thanks for clarifying.

I don't mean to distract from the slush fund discussion, but I'm curious about using used equipment that we already own. I'm wanting to use a filter, glass cleaner, etc, that are well used from at least two other tanks I've had. How do I figure out what they're worth? I don't mind using the price they would be new, but I don't want to do that if I don't have to because it'll eat up my remaining equipment budget faster. It's everyone just using the current new price on used equipment?

I don't mean to distract from the slush fund discussion, but I'm curious about using used equipment that we already own. I'm wanting to use a filter, glass cleaner, etc, that are well used from at least two other tanks I've had. How do I figure out what they're worth? I don't mind using the price they would be new, but I don't want to do that if I don't have to because it'll eat up my remaining equipment budget faster. It's everyone just using the current new price on used equipment?

I used some used plumbing and powerhead...I used Ebay pricing for new...but I am not sure I had to...I just did...and the glass cleaner does not count against budget as far as I know