pico contest rules thread.

aggieMEDIC

The rules read right now:

Any tank under 6 gallons is acceptable. Any disputes will be settled by Manufacturers rated volume or measurements for DIY tanks.

And the sump must be less than 2.5 gallons.

I hope this is true because I already ordered a custom made 5 gallon display and a 2.5 gallon sump. Please let me know if this is acceptable. I thought it was said, before this thread, up to 5 gallons with a sump no bigger than 1/2 of display.

The rules read right now:

Any tank under 6 gallons is acceptable. Any disputes will be settled by Manufacturers rated volume or measurements for DIY tanks.

And the sump must be less than 2.5 gallons.

I hope this is true because I already ordered a custom made 5 gallon display and a 2.5 gallon sump. Please let me know if this is acceptable. I thought it was said, before this thread, up to 5 gallons with a sump no bigger than 1/2 of display.

You are safe

Aqua-cultured only may not be fair for those who wish to participate but do not have existing coral tanks (doesn't apply to myself), also the $ sign may be a bit higher when ordering if that's the case.

Just something to consider, I'm pretty excited!!wink.png

aqua-cultured = not taken straight from the ocean...if you buy from a seller they are aqua cultured

I think we need clarity on the water volume. Display not more than 6 and sump not more than ????. I don't know that it is fair to say sump cannot be more than 1/2 the display, since I might want to have a two gallon display and 5 gallon sump . . .. Can we have a total volume max for each, or a total over all max. I.e display not to exceed six gallons and total water volume not to exceed 7.5 gallons (since someone already purchased a special order with this amount). I'm not tied to any amounts - but I would like clarity.

I also think there should be a cap on corals. I think its more fair for all. Say I already have an expensive and beautiful chalice that I will frag from my main display. Without a cap, I can use as many of my other corals as I want. Whereas, a new member would have to buy everything from scratch. Since shipping is already not taken off from the total, I think it is more fair to have a cap on corals.

Thanks for giving us the opportunity to have feedback on this. Also, is there an entry fee or is that assumed to be the cost of setting up?

Oh yeah, can we also clarify what it means to not establish the tank prior to January 15th. For instance, if I already have a tank, I could have all of the live rock cycling before. I could also have the fish acclimating in a quarantine tank ....For that matter, I could have then entire set up going in quarantine before x-mas. Plus, are we taking into account that its at least a month for a tank to properly cycle unless we pay for additives like Dr. Tim's bacteria (adding to costs, potentially unfair?). Does the entry tank need to be void of water until the 15th of January? Any considerations for beginning with live rock vs dead rock in terms of the cycle?

• Like 1

I think we need clarity on the water volume. Display not more than 6 and sump not more than ????. I don't know that it is fair to say sump cannot be more than 1/2 the display, since I might want to have a two gallon display and 5 gallon sump . . ..

This is covered already in the rules...display no larger than 6, sump max of 2.5 (this makes it easy for all to go and get the cheepo all glass 2.5 from any petstore)

I think we need clarity on the water volume. Display not more than 6 and sump not more than ????. I don't know that it is fair to say sump cannot be more than 1/2 the display, since I might want to have a two gallon display and 5 gallon sump . . ..

This is covered already in the rules...display no larger than 6, sump max of 2.5 (this makes it easy for all to go and get the cheepo all glass 2.5 from any petstore)

Ahh, I misread it. Can we add units to the rules? "display no larger than 6 gallons, sump max of 2.5 gallons." Thanks :)

I am pleased to announce the following additions to the prize pool from the kind folks at River City Aquatics:

(1) Aqueon Evolve 2 Aquarium Kit

33676_400wh.jpg
(1) Aquatic Life Mini Skimmer

p-71392-51391-fish-supply.jpg
(1) $20 RCA Gift Certificate

picture unavailable...but I am sure it looks and works a lot like this:

US_$20_twenty_dollar_bill.jpg

Thanks to Jake and Francis for the generosity!

• 2 weeks later...

I have a question. Awhile ago I ordered a 4 gallon tank to house my pea puffer and it arrived with a broken base. The retailer kindly sent me a replacement and now I'm thinking about using the original tank for this contest. Its just the bottom glass that's broken so I'm thinking I just need to get a replacement piece. Is it fair to say that this tank cost as much as the repair costs since I probably would have posted this tank for free on the forum otherwise. I'm wanting to see what the contest moderators think is fair in terms of tank costs, before I even attempt the repair.

nah, get a piece of glass cut at a glass shop and use some silicone to seal it :) easy fix. Just remember to scrape the leftover (dried) silicone off the edges. If you already have silicone and a razor blade, it should be fairly simple. Youtube has several videos on replacing glass bottoms.

so, if i have 2 heads of torch coral and 2 heads of frogspawn that I want to move over. Does this have to be less than the 1in cap?

Josh

We never really discussed Frogspawn, Torches or Hammers. I would think 2 heads would be the maximum. the torch i have in my nano is 2 heads and while it's bigger than an inch tall its about an inch wide and long.

so, if i have 2 heads of torch coral and 2 heads of frogspawn that I want to move over. Does this have to be less than the 1in cap?

Josh

We never really discussed Frogspawn, Torches or Hammers. I would think 2 heads would be the maximum. the torch i have in my nano is 2 heads and while it's bigger than an inch tall its about an inch wide and long.

sweet! That sounds good!

Thanks