Moving to Austin...

ryancmatchett

Hello to all. Just wanted to stop in and introduce myself.

Hello, my name is Ryan and I am a Reef Addict.

A little background: we currently live in Santa Barbara, CA and my wife's and my jobs are being transferred to Austin at the end of 2012. So...how to transport our hobby?? That is the billion dollar question!!

We currently have a 120gal, mixed reef tank, with the tank in the house and 17ft of filtration and tanks in the garage...looking to sell off what I can here and try not to move the livestock I guess.

If we can't sell the tank for a good price we will bring it with us...otherwise we would prefer to downsize a bit and go to a 60 or 90 cube in order to satisfy our addiction!!

post-884-0-72528900-1349448461_thumb.jpg post-884-0-20512200-1349448470_thumb.jpg

Looking forward to the adventure of moving to Austin, meeting new people, and seeing what the hobby has done there....I mean meet more people in the hobby!!!

Thanks for having us...and see you all soon!!

Ryan

Sent from my VZW Nexus using Tapatalk.....

Edited by mFrame (Mike)

Nothing has been finalized...however, as of now, the plan is to pack up a moving truck on Fri Dec 28, and start driving on Dec 29....also as of now we are looking in the Millwood neighborhoods...or somewhere near there. Is that north or north east or east or....???? Anyways, our new office is in the 11000 block of Metric. So somewhere in that general vicinity.

Looking forward to making a quick weekend trip out in December...but neither of us have been to Austin before, so it will all be new!!

You are in for a treat! I've been all over, and I'm biased of course, but I think Austin is one of the greatest cities in the country. That neighborhood is a good one in terms of accessibility, you're right on Loop 1 or Mopac, which is one of the 2 major North/South thoroughfares through town. You'll use it to get just about everywhere. Make sure you get yourself a good real estate agent!

I think you're right to sell all you can while still in CA. There have been quite a few california->texas moves for members, and when it comes to livestock it never seems to go well. There are many folks in town with great livestock and several good stores to boot.

Let us know before you head out on your visit, we'll point you to the finest eateries and best activities.

Welcome. Moving a large tank that far is a pretty serious undertaking. Personally, I'm not sure I would attempt it. I've done an 18 hour, take down - drive - setup FW move in one shot with buckets and airpumps and there were casualties. The biggest problem is that it's going to take at least 24 hours with no stopping to get here. You're going to want a tank already setup that you can immediately transfer the coral and livestock into. Especially if you are considering about downsizing, it would seem to me to be a good time to do it.

Anyway, if you do decide to do it, it's going to take some serious planning, and almost certainly will require someone here to receive the livestock as soon as you arrive. Figure out how to keep everything alive in a tuck is a big step. Plan for something going wrong and it taking twice as long to get here as intended. I would pack up as much equipment as possible in the few days before. Run the tank on near life support the last day if you need to just to get the sump and everything out of the way. Then basically get it drained, packed up, loaded safely, and drive like hell. Once you get here, hand off all of the livestock, and take your time setting the tank up properly. Sand is going to need to be replaced or well rinsed and re-cycled.

• Like 1

Thanks for the welcome!!

yeah, I cannot imagine trying to move the livestock. Going to start over on that one. We have a great store here that will take everything we can't sell...or qt and then ship stuff if we needed...but I am not willing to travel with livestock. I have helped friends and even on a 2 hour move...we lost half the fish.

I will be looking forward to different options as far as livestock, fish and corals there. Looking forward to funding (finding) a new store....

As far as equipment though, I would rather transport this 120 to Texas empty...than throw it away, give it away or get an insulting offer to buy...but would be more than willing to trade it tank for tank for that 60 or 90 cube we want though. Since that means i can keep my sump, skimmer, pump etc....

Thanks again everyone!!! Looking forward to meeting some of you!

Howdy, and welcome to Austin! I would tend to agree with your plan, moving livestock can be stressful enough but then knowing that you have a clock ticking once you arrive could put you over the top. We have a great selection of stores and club members here and I'm sure we can get you kick-started once you get settled.

If you can time your visit to coincide in December you should plan to come to our meeting that month and say hi. It's on December 15th, the location will be announced shortly.

Thanks for the welcome!!

yeah, I cannot imagine trying to move the livestock. Going to start over on that one. We have a great store here that will take everything we can't sell...or qt and then ship stuff if we needed...but I am not willing to travel with livestock. I have helped friends and even on a 2 hour move...we lost half the fish.

I will be looking forward to different options as far as livestock, fish and corals there. Looking forward to funding (finding) a new store....

As far as equipment though, I would rather transport this 120 to Texas empty...than throw it away, give it away or get an insulting offer to buy...but would be more than willing to trade it tank for tank for that 60 or 90 cube we want though. Since that means i can keep my sump, skimmer, pump etc....

Thanks again everyone!!! Looking forward to meeting some of you!

It's amazing to me that we can ship fish halfway around the world, and even very advanced aquarists have trouble moving fish even short distances. Dangit mother nature!

• Like 1

pretty cool you found us before you even came, we got lots of helpful people to get you goin when you move here. austin is a great city, as long as you can stand the drunk panhandlers everywhere

how DARE you talk about me like that

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Ladies and gentlemen, boys and girls... We have arrived in Austin!

We made it to town safely, long drive, longer time to get settled, but feeling better about the move.

Unfortunately, as of now, we are not allowed a tank of any size... So we have lots of equipment and a big tank to sell. But now that we are getting settled, I can start participating here more. I will find a time to post what we have to sell soon, and thanks again for the welcome!

Just figured I would update this thread first... Will post more over the next few days.

Also, if anyone has a suggestion on an LFS near Scofield Ridge in NW Austin, I would like to stop in and say hi... PM is best.

Thanks again, and see you all online...

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Thanks for the recommendations. I will check those out.

I also have this weekends meeting on my schedule... But not sure if I can make this one... Maybe the next one.

Basically we are renting, and the homeowner wants nothing to do with a tank... Even with renters insurance that will cover anything. So I think we have to wait till at least next year. Not out of the hobby completely, just paused. We have a mandatory 2 year contract to stay in Austin, if we decide to stay, we will buy a house next year. If not... Well on to the next adventure.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Thanks for the recommendations. I will check those out. I also have this weekends meeting on my schedule... But not sure if I can make this one... Maybe the next one. Basically we are renting, and the homeowner wants nothing to do with a tank... Even with renters insurance that will cover anything. So I think we have to wait till at least next year. Not out of the hobby completely, just paused. We have a mandatory 2 year contract to stay in Austin, if we decide to stay, we will buy a house next year. If not... Well on to the next adventure. Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

*cough* nano tank *cough* pico tank *cough cough*