Mitch's 90g Ver2.0

Mitch

wow mitch, your s3 takes much better pics than my droid 4. What settings are you using? And is that an AOG zoa colony I spy?

mostly default... sometimes used the macro focus mode... i had turned off flash... tried to take pics as square to the glass/surface of the water to the coral as possible to minimize distortion... the top view pics i took as close to the water as possible to prevent reflection of the LEDs...

yes, i have an AOG colony... i labeled what each was in the last set of pics...

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...

Picked up this gorgeous green w/ pink ric from Zoanthids.com @ C4:<br /><br /><br />post-935-0-40730600-1365657029_thumb.jpg<br /> <br />I included the orange w/ green ric in the picture for color comparison <br />

Wow! That's stunning!

• 1 month later...

I finally figured out how to replace the 2 Ecoxotic Stunners over the center glass brace with 2 Ecoxotic Panorama Pros. The challenge was trying to deal with the 45deg support at the front of the canopy.

The bothersome support:

post-935-0-88045800-1369163714_thumb.jpg

Alignment of the Panoramas:

post-935-0-49131500-1369163709_thumb.jpg

Using SS turnbuckles hooked in to the aluminum strap I had previously been using at the front and reused the dowels in the back:

post-935-0-94075300-1369163703_thumb.jpg

And a full perspective of my lighting setup:

post-935-0-69392500-1369163680_thumb.jpg

Since my corals underneath were only used to the Stunners (6W ea), i'm starting the Panoramas (16W ea + I have reflectors to give it more punch too) @ 50% and hoping to ramp 10% per week.

I finally found the time to put into service a PM1 module I got several months back. I now have 3 pH probes measuring the CaRx effluent, the sump, and the display. I also now have 2 temp probes measuring the sump and the display/overflow. Now i'll be curious as to the differences I'll see between the various probes.

I also replaced the OEM breakout box with 2 DIY versions. See the DIY BoB build thread here:

http://www.austinreefclub.com/topic/27145-anyone-need-apex-diy-breakout-box/

Lastly, I took the opportunity to update my Apex programming to take advantage of the new probes and switches now available. I published it in post #5 for any feedback that peeps might have:

http://www.austinreefclub.com/topic/22832-mitchs-90g-ver20/?p=164600

Hey Mitch, i was looking over your APEX setup, and as usual I'll probably still... uhm borrow some of your ideas. :) Great job! I have a question, what are you using for the door open/closed sensor? I assume just a contact sensor like used on a window with a home alarm, but can you give details? As simple as that is, having my sump light come on when the door is opened would be nice.

what are you using for the door open/closed sensor? I assume just a contact sensor like used on a window with a home alarm, but can you give details? As simple as that is, having my sump light come on when the door is opened would be nice.

Yes, it's quite handy whistle.gif and, yes, please borrow and improve as you see fit... i did grin.png

I picked it up from Fry's... it's a micro-switch w/ a roller lever:

post-935-0-10557700-1369889088_thumb.jpg

I put 2 in series so when both doors are closed the switch is CLOSED.

Capturing the graph of temp probes and when the chiller runs... i've been trying to figure how to reduce the chiller from running as often, so for this purpose i kept the sump light off... you can easily see that at night the external pump introduces a pretty significant amount of heat to the water column (from 22:54 to 02:15 the sump temp rises 1deg)... now i gotta figure out if this is reasonable... anyone got thoughts on this? it's a Panworld 50PX-X rated for 90W... oh, i put my thermometer against the body of the pump while writing this and it read 116deg!!!

Also ambient room temp should have been around 78deg @ night.

post-935-0-84110400-1370009682_thumb.png

I ended up just gradually increasing the chiller temp by half a degree per week until I got to the point where my chiller hardly ever kicks on. Ambient temp is 68 and tank temp is 80.5. My chiller hasn't turned on at all in a month now, it's just insurance.

I ended up just gradually increasing the chiller temp by half a degree per week until I got to the point where my chiller hardly ever kicks on. Ambient temp is 68 and tank temp is 80.5. My chiller hasn't turned on at all in a month now, it's just insurance.

Wow, you keep it cold in your house! During the winters we don't run the heater til we can see our breath practically, so the chiller never runs then =)

So would you say that the heat introduced by the external pump is reasonable then? As well as the temp of the pump's body?

Yeah, classic domestic temperature dispute. If it wasn't for your overall tank volume, if say for sure it was the pump. I have 2 mj1200's in 30 gallons and they keep my temps up even with ambient at 68.

Is the pump running full throttle ? If so, one potential option is to oversize the pump and valve down, which could cool down the operating temp of the pump.

Is the pump running full throttle ? If so, one potential option is to oversize the pump and valve down, which could cool down the operating temp of the pump.

Full throttle? Yes, it's on, and yes I have a T to bleed off excess flow to the DT (the reason why you see the sump temp increase more than the display i believe).

Something to consider is that you can reduce energy consumption and pump waste heat by reducing the pump flow volume. If the pressure bleed of isn't necessary (providing flow to your sump) you might be able to reduce the pump heat transfers to the water by closing that valve and reducing the total flow from the pump.

Of course, that whole thing sounds time consuming and might not provide results. :)

Something to consider is that you can reduce energy consumption and pump waste heat by reducing the pump flow volume. If the pressure bleed of isn't necessary (providing flow to your sump) you might be able to reduce the pump heat transfers to the water by closing that valve and reducing the total flow from the pump.

Of course, that whole thing sounds time consuming and might not provide results. smile.png

Ahh, that makes sense. Unfortunately, currently the amount going to the DT matches whats able to be drained thru the overflow stand pipe right now. I could do some tweaking and see if that helps. It's worth a shot.

• 2 weeks later...

Just read this whole thread. Easily one of my favorite tanks I've seen period

Thx! You are welcome to come by and see it in person. Just lmk next time you are in town.

When I saw RCA post the Pachyseris rugosa on their Facebook page, I said "that is one fine looking coral". I see you thought that too smile.png

Nice additions!

Yeah, I was very surprised to see that there was still one available. Jake said there was only one other that came in. It's definitely a unique piece - even my wife thought it was cool.

And once I saw the plana in their DT, I couldn't pass it up as it's got some really nice coloring - of course my smartphone camera doesn't do it justice.

Here's a representative pic

6346261608_95afe69c09_z.jpg

Archived