rodi/salt mixing station

Mitch

I'm finally finding the time to implement a rodi / salt water mixing station. I will be using three 55gal barrels (from Austin Home Brew). These will be kept in the garage. I will be using 1" PVC and UniSeals. I've got either a Mag3 or Mag5 to use as recirculation pump as well as pumping either RODI or salt water all the way to the tank (about 45 linear feet).

Here's a rough sketch of what I'm thinking:

post-935-0-49427900-1347408105_thumb.jpg

Note I forgot to label the ball valves (box w/ an X and a bar over it).

On the left is the barrel for collecting waste water. It is fairly simply with a valve at the bottom to fill a jug or connect to a hose. The top tube allows for overflow. I'm still trying to figure out if I want/need to connect a pump so I can just dump the water in various parts of my yard.

The middle barrel is for RODI, so it will have a float valve at the top to shut off the RODI unit itself. I need to 1) pump this water into the salt barrel, 2) fill jugs, and 3) pump water all the way to the ATO in my stand. I don't believe this water needs to be recirculated.

The barrel on the right is for salt. I need to 1) recirculate water to mix it, 2) fill jugs, and 3) pump water to the sump.

I'm hoping to just use one pump, but can use two if its a better implementation. The input of the pump will come from either the bottom of the RODI or salt barrel depending on valve configuration. The output will either dump into the salt barrel or via a union can connect to either 1) an elbow to fill jugs or 2) 45' of hose to reach the tank.

Alternatively, I can use one pump (smaller i presume) for recirculation, and the larger pump to pump out of which ever of the 3 barrels I choose. I figure use the same concept as the output described above by using a union to connect the 2nd pump etc.

Anyways, any and all feedback welcome! I'm sure there are many things I haven't thought of doh.gif

Only suggestion that i have after further review is to maybe drill a small hole in the top of the submerged elbows to prevent airlock, and not to solvent weld (dryfit only) the interior pieces inside the drums. Also, I don't know if you've used uniseals before, but make sure that you deburr the holes, or you'll get leaks. To get the pipe through the seal you're generally going to need some kind of lubricant (soap is probably OK for the waste drum, but not sure what a reef safe option for the RODI and salt water barrels might be. spit?) Just kind of make circles while applying pressure until the pipe penetrates the seal. Good luck and good job on the design! I probably would have used more pumps to further isolate the RODI water from the salt water (ie another pump in the RODI water, and dump water into the top of the salt barrel), but I tend to overkill on just about everything.

Sounds fine with me.

http://www.austinreefclub.com/topic/19996-biocube-29-wcustom-sump-in-stand/page__st__100#entry167192

That is a pic of the mixing station, mine is small because I just have nano's and never need a lot of water at a time. Eventually as I need to have more water on hand I'll just mix and dump into a barrel since its so easy to just turn the valves.

victoly & bio3, thanks for the tips!

bio3, i think your post w/ pic is sufficient - no need to see it in person.

any thoughts on which mag i should use to pump through 45 linear ft w/ minimal increase in elevation (3' at most)?

• 7 months later...

To cut back on waste, you can also upgrade the system with multiple membranes and increase water production speed. BRS has a good deal on the 150 upgrade package

EDIT: Oh and I'm running a mag 9 to push saltwater to the sump, a mag 5 for RODI transfer to the salt barrel.. My setup is similar to yours, but after doing the membrane upgrade I'm wasting much less water.

• 1 month later...

I've been meaning to do this for a while.

Full set up:

post-935-0-83952400-1369855767_thumb.jpg

RODI barrel w/ float valve:

post-935-0-21068900-1369855856_thumb.jpg

Waste barrel w/ bulk head thru bung hole:

post-935-0-24631700-1369855884_thumb.jpg

Salt barrel recirculation:

post-935-0-70979700-1369855794_thumb.jpg

Rather than running the pump 24/7, i'm only running the pump for 30min 4x a day:

post-935-0-39234600-1369855827_thumb.jpg

Archived