anyone need APEX DIY breakout box?

I'm gonna replace my original one as i HATE the wimpy wire connector they used!

So while i'm at it I figured I would offer to make more. Lmk if you are interested, so I can make sure I get enough parts etc.

Btw, I'm leaning towards the RJ45 implementation, and hoping to build them either this weekend or the next.

Oh, all I ask is that you pay for the cost of parts grin.png

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have a DIY BOB that is made with phono jacks, it works great and is nice a secure.

The RJ45 would annoy me if I either broke a clip off or had fat fingers that day and had a hard time pinching the clip down if I was at a weird angle. I like the secure grab of the phono plug and the ease of it.

I have a DIY BOB that is made with phono jacks, it works great and is nice a secure.

The RJ45 would annoy me if I either broke a clip off or had fat fingers that day and had a hard time pinching the clip down if I was at a weird angle. I like the secure grab of the phono plug and the ease of it.

Thx for the feedback Chris!

Anyone else have opinions / preferences? I was simply leaning towards the RJ45 implementation for ease of building, eg no soldering required.

Depends on a)cost b)what we have to do to compensate you for time spent with phono/RJ45 :)

Phono is probably easier in terms of hooking it up to a device (nice big wire, easy to strip vs small wire and having to go through 2 jackets and not having to make/cut a new patch cable each time you want to add a device).

I recently bought the new version, it work, and does not seem too flimsy, but I really like the idea of the phono jacks a lot. Easy to plug/unplug as needed, but will not fall out. The RJ45 would work, might just do RJ11 if you go that route a but smaller, but as bio said it if broke... at the same time SUPER easy to crimp RJ45/11 jacks!

So i've got the following down for DIY BOBs w/ noted preference (please post if i missed you or your preference of RJ45 vs plug):

Mitch x2

dsquared

Capt O (prefers plug)

victoly

I'll go price things out visiting Fry's, Altex, and RadioShack.

I'm still leaning towards RJ45 implementation as I don't forsee doing a lot of connecting/reconnecting, just like the existing Apex connections, eg temp probe. Btw, I have never had the need to disconnect any of the items currently plugged into my OEM BOB.

So here's what I dug up pricing wise:

3.9 x 2.0 x 0.8 project box @ Altex $2.99

3.5mm mono phone jack @ Fry's $0.99 x 6 = $5.94

3.5mm mono phone plug @ Fry's $1.19 x 6 = $7.14

6 port keystone surface mount box @ Fry's $3.49

RJ45 keystone @ Fry's (package of 10 for $19.99) x 6 = $12.00

RJ45 plug @ RadioShack (package of 100 for $14.99) x 6 = $0.90 (could be free as someone probably has enough of these lying around).

mini din 8 @ Amazon 6' for $5.58

Cost per BOB w/ 2' mini din 8 tail using 3.5mm phone jacks if you used all 6 ports totals to ~$18.86+tax (w/o plugs just $11.72)

Cost per using RJ45 totals to ~$19.18+tax (w/o plugs $18.28).

So cost wise it's really a wash if you end up using all/most of the ports, but favors the phone jacks if you are only using a few.

For me, I'm going with RJ45 for the ease of construction, and general consistency with the rest of my setup as I already use RJ45 for the network and LED controls, and RJ11 for the temp probes. Once again I don't foresee a need to be un/plugging alot.

Who wants me to construct this version for them?

I will NOT be constructing the version using 3.5mm phono plugs, but happy to order additional mini din 8 cables as needed for your construction.

Lmk by MON evening please so I can get the order by this weekend hopefully.

Btw does anyone have Amazon Prime membership so I/we can get 2 day shipping vs the Free Super Saver shipping which is 5-8 biz days?

So here's what I dug up pricing wise:

3.9 x 2.0 x 0.8 project box @ Altex $2.99

3.5mm mono phone jack @ Fry's $0.99 x 6 = $5.94

3.5mm mono phone plug @ Fry's $1.19 x 6 = $7.14

6 port keystone surface mount box @ Fry's $3.49

RJ45 keystone @ Fry's (package of 10 for $19.99) x 6 = $12.00

RJ45 plug @ RadioShack (package of 100 for $14.99) x 6 = $0.90 (could be free as someone probably has enough of these lying around).

mini din 8 @ Amazon 6' for $5.58

Cost per BOB w/ 2' mini din 8 tail using 3.5mm phone jacks if you used all 6 ports totals to ~$18.86+tax (w/o plugs just $11.72)

Cost per using RJ45 totals to ~$19.18+tax (w/o plugs $18.28).

So cost wise it's really a wash if you end up using all/most of the ports, but favors the phone jacks if you are only using a few.

For me, I'm going with RJ45 for the ease of construction, and general consistency with the rest of my setup as I already use RJ45 for the network and LED controls, and RJ11 for the temp probes. Once again I don't foresee a need to be un/plugging alot.

Who wants me to construct this version for them?

I will NOT be constructing the version using 3.5mm phono plugs, but happy to order additional mini din 8 cables as needed for your construction.

Lmk by MON evening please so I can get the order by this weekend hopefully.

Btw does anyone have Amazon Prime membership so I/we can get 2 day shipping vs the Free Super Saver shipping which is 5-8 biz days?

I've got Amazon prime. Send me a link of what is needed and I will order it. Also, I think I have a bag of RJ45s that I will donate so sign me up for 1 w/ the RJ45s.

Archived