bc29 to 75 or bigger?

ausvdub

So I am itching for a bigger system the my BC29. I am wondering if I will regret this as the ease of a nano is nice. I will ether upgrade to a red sea max or a larger tank. Which ever pops up first. Cost is not a issue as I will sell my custom led bc29 setup to even it out. I guess my quest is, have people gone from a nano to larger and wish they never did? At most I would go 90 if that.

I have had MANY tanks and sizes over the past 8-10 years with 55 gallon being the biggest until recently. About 7 months ago I upgraded from a 20 gallon I had for about a year to a 110. It was the best decision I ever made in this hobby. I COULD/WOULD never downsize again. I love the options with a larger tank not to mention the ease of maintaining good water quality.

Edited by wesreyn

Personally I would go as big as you have room for/ can afford. Or in a few years you'll be asking this same question about your 75.

+1...you will like the biggest tank you can afford and have room for. Yes everything will cost more but you know if you do it right the 1st time it will turn out to be a beauty. I would say atleast a 120G or bigger.

My boyfriend went from a 20 to a 30, and is now debating between a 75 and a 105. I keep telling him, if he gets the 75 he'll just want a 105-120 in another year, so he should get will make him happy for several years. I went from a BC14 to a NC24 to a Solana 34 with each upgrade coming about a year after the previous. This hobby is too expensive for a new tank every year! Get what will keep you happy for a long time - even if it's more expensive up front, it's cheaper in the long run.

• Like 1

in my opinion you will prob always want to go bigger. i got my 190 and already wanting to upgrade again but prob wont for a while if i do i'm going 300+

Maybe i will buy your 190, sell ausvdub my 110 and you can buy your 300+. Win win for everyone.

in my opinion you will prob always want to go bigger. i got my 190 and already wanting to upgrade again but prob wont for a while if i do i'm going 300+

Maybe i will buy your 190, sell ausvdub my 110 and you can buy your 300+. Win win for everyone.

Lol If I had the money I would

if money is not a problem then get the biggest tank that will reasonably fit in the area you are looking to put it in. In reality if you like this hobby you will go bigger :) the size of the room is what holds you b ack lol.

While I have never had anything bigger than 150G tank, I do not long for bigger. I like 75G as a good size to maintain. With the 4' length, many light options to fit that tank. At some point, getting bigger generates its own problems. Talk with Timfish as he has set up more tanks in his maintenance business than most people in ten lifetimes.

Patrick

While I have never had anything bigger than 150G tank, I do not long for bigger. I like 75G as a good size to maintain. With the 4' length, many light options to fit that tank. At some point, getting bigger generates its own problems. Talk with Timfish as he has set up more tanks in his maintenance business than most people in ten lifetimes.

Patrick

what problems? i think smaller tanks have more possiblity of an issue then a larger volume of water would .the only issue i've expierence going bigger is it gets more expensive lol

90 is a good size tank with good dimensions if you go with the traditional rectangle. Same footprint as a 75 but a little taller. A 120 is 48 x 25 x 25 which is a good one as well without taking up much more room. The 25" width is definitely more pleasing to work with. A 75 or 90 is actually quite narrow if you want good depth.

Once setup the tank will be significantly easier to maintain, although it might be costlier if you stock it heavily. Also some things like treatment or dosing are easily taken for granted, as they can become cost prohibitive in a large tank.

Larger tanks are easier.. They do require more maintenance, love, and care.. but you will not regret it.. I started with a 135 and still have it.. I just recently got a 29BC and wish I could have two large tanks..

We started with a 29 high, then purchased a 150, sold the 29 & purchased a 58, also purchased a 10 gallon eclipse. We now have just the the 150.

Some things to consider before going bigger.

Where will I put it?

Will I have access to all sides of the tank?

Will the flooring support the weight?

Will I be moving in the future?

Then,

What will I put in it?

How will I manage water changes?

These are some of the thing we considered before upgrading to the 150. food for thought? FYI, we love our tank!

Dave-