WTB Clownfish host and Mag 9.5 or 12 and other stuff

Drew Mendez WTR

If you get to the end of the please comment a go ahead or shut the heck up response

Hey guys I'm also looking for something my clownfish can live with, cant afford a BTA at the moment. I saw someone just bought one of those squishy hair balls with tentacles and buried it and the clownfish hosted in it. pretty cool

My cousin said I could get a big conch shell if need be

My clowns are new (2 days) and they kept to the back corner, so there looking for someplace safe and I'd like to provide for them any help would be appreciated.

I am also looking for a Mag 9.5 or 12 for a return pump. 100 bucks for a used eheim pump is a little much for me. I currently have a mag 12 now and its pretty good so idk

I need some high max head bc my tank is high off the ground

I would be willing to try another anemone out...AquaDome has condylactis for 15 and something tipped for 35 Big Conch also 15 at AquaDome

Thank you Kim for responding promptly with my Sea Fan request (Non Photo sythetic) oh thats another thing I dont have HO or MH lights yet just T-8 I have some rock anemones and zoas that are doing pretty good I had a frogspawn that I was holding for my cousin that did pretty good as well

I also have for trade a very expensive Akron Brass Firemans Nozzle...I'm at work now so i dont have the model but it goes for at least 500...IDK if anyone works with water or irrigation. this is legit...I had two gave one to my dad it is 1.5inch maybe 2.5 inch I'm thinking of just ordering the reducers and hooking it up to the garden hose it would build enough pressure and i could water my dirt and car with ease. I have no need for this thing It has a pistol grip and idk how many spray settings

If you want to live out a fantasy of backdraft this is your chance. I would take somewhere 200 for it or equal to trades. Idc really I've found the parts to hook this up to the garden hose it would cost you about 30 plus shipping you need 2 size reducers.

I'm very happy posting here, I prob get annoying but I sit on a computer for 8 hours at work waiting for jewelry to come back to count so can you blame me. Everyone that I've met in person has been great hoping to get out to the swap meet.

Does anyone do any volunteer or work on Mondays? I'm looking for something to do with my 3 days off Sat-Mon I'm a Marine so I can do anything except peeing on ppl, nazi stuff, and throwing puppys. Those are my 3 bugaboos

Very Respectfully, Drew Mendez

Also will a service dog be allowed to attend the frag swap, I've emailed the property owner no response if someone could ask him that would be great.

Lol, your post cracked me up! Thanks for your service first of all. I don't have anything clowns will host in, that I know of. I volunteer with Meals on Wheels and More. Tons of volunteer possibilities, way more than just delivering meals. No peeing on ppl, etc, so no worries :P I'm going out to Patrick's tomorrow, so I'll ask him about the dog. He's got a really gentle ol dog, but I'll ask if it gets along with other dogs.

I would like your posts however I've reached my maximum like amounts for the day.

I'm seeing a new one for 186 on marinedepot.com someone said the replacement parts might be expensive and for 100 I could look at some of the Lowes fountain pumps at 700 gph or such

and my dog is not a pet or anything so he would be next to me the whole time. friendly as heck but he knows when he's working with his vest and collar on

I helped out in San Diego at a church feeding homeless for Easter, and it wasn't that rewarding they were very rude (Im not expecting manners, or anything like that and I get it) I've been around alot of the world. I also personally dont like giving money out here in Austin. I may be wrong but from what I've heard the ppl standing at every corner in Austin or either addicts or scammin'. There are some at every single corner. We've given water or gatorade out and they've complained bc it wasnt cold. I make 10 bucks an hour so my money is hard earned. Good deeds are not enough to get you in.

Well its not a public place its private so I would like to ask, naturally the only place I've ever had a problem ironically was at a mexican restaurant in pleasanton. We've flown across country and we have a 1 drink minimum if you sit next to us or ask to pet him. (Rambo the German Shepherd) Maybe I should do a 1 piece of frag branch lol

also they are False Percula's small ones I think the eheim was sort of complete just needs a deep clean and looks like a older generation.

Andrew,

I replied to your PM. Of course your dog is welcome. Any military vet deserves a "thank you". I served four combat tours in Vietnam while in the Air Force. I say thank you to all the soldiers and citizens that serve this great country.

After the ARC frag swap, I will be hosting another celebration of my business as a seaweed farmer. At 5PM we will begain boiling 200 pounds of crawfish. Also at this time a home concert will begain with Cajun "music and tradition" as the theme. If I can get Michael to work with me, we may do some Justin Wilson routine. In any case, we will pass a good time.

Patrick

Just wanted to throw my 2 cents in to stay away from "Condy" anemones. Clowns will not host in them (or pretty much anything else ... there have been reports of damsels hosting in them) ... in fact, the condy will eat them.

If the clowns are new to your tank, give them time. I have a skunk clown that does not host in anything and is happy. Over time, your clowns might pick a coral to try hosting in. This can be good or bad, as sometimes they can be a bit overly agressive in hosting a coral and really bother them.

Just wanted to throw my 2 cents in to stay away from "Condy" anemones. Clowns will not host in them (or pretty much anything else ... there have been reports of damsels hosting in them) ... in fact, the condy will eat them.

If the clowns are new to your tank, give them time. I have a skunk clown that does not host in anything and is happy. Over time, your clowns might pick a coral to try hosting in. This can be good or bad, as sometimes they can be a bit overly agressive in hosting a coral and really bother them.

James L- That is simply EXTREMELY untrue. Condy are a species of Atlantic Anemone. The reason most clowns will not host them is because they are host specific due to the nature of their mucous membrane and the structure of the peptidoglycans. Basically, the larger a clown's range in nature is, the more likely they are to be LESS host specific. Species with a large range, such as the Clarkii, WILL AND DO HOST the condy, no ill side effects whatsoever. (mine are so in love, that they will not leave it, even when offered a nicer anemone like a bubbletip). I have also seen other species (namely the Cinnamon Clown) be able to adapt to the condy, if exposed to their chemical composition at a young age. The Condy will also only eat your fish if you have neglected and starved the condy, or if the fish have, or if you have been training the condy to eat small fish such as silversides. A condy is NOT recommended for oscellaris because it is not in their range, and oscellaris tend to be largely host specific. (even though its a cheap way out haha!)

The reason you see clowns and damsels hosting anything is that the family Pomacentridae is extremely aggressive and territorial: because of this, if no specific host relevant to their range is presented, they will host something like a coral.

Your best best on an anemone that mimic the oscellaris natural hosts (based on their range) are: A magnificent sea anemone, a giant carpet, a saddle carpet (the general kind you buy at most stores), or a mini-carpet.

Those are the anemones to purchase if you want a high likelihood of the clown hosting. I would advise against a giant carpet and perhaps stick with a mini, as there are reports of the giant eating hosting black percula clowns that were small enough to be consumed. (the larger female escaped his clutches).

A cheap, healthy carpet anemone can be purchased at Petco for a mere $20, and will take up an enormous amount of your tank: they have the best deals anywhere on carpets. Check the one in Kyle or the RoundRock.

However, in captivity, oscellaris can also host the bubble tip, but there may be a very long latency period between the time you add the anemone, a window of "cautious testing" behaviors (swim up, dart away, swim up, touch, dart away, repeat a million times). If you plan on purchasing a bubble tip, and want to encourage hosting, try to place them both in a small section of the tank together (under an acrylic box or 1 gal tank) to encourage the clown to touch and test it. While some fish stores recommend bagging them together to force them to touch, it is highly dangerous as an unacclimated mucous membrane of the fish will not protect it, and the anemone sting will cause death. Also, because of this latency period, chances are the clown may choose to take up residence in a coral.

And that, is the biology behind the symbiosis in your tank.

• Like 1

I had 2 clowns that for a whole year did not have anything to host but now they are hosting my toadstool mushroom although I did pick up an RBTA the other day so we'll see if that changes. I head aquadome usually has some small RBTAs for $50 so you should call to find out if thats what your looking for.

+1 on Rocketry

post-1271-0-07046000-1334944290_thumb.jpg

amazing amount of knowledge, someone offered me a gbta for 20....I'm still hesitant if they have a high light requirement....my cousin had some cinnamons that would "Dance with Mushrooms" haha I brought back some of those brown mushrooms, but traded them for oceallaris

Its a "surrogate" anemone!!!! Its literally a dog toy. Other places sell fake algae thats plastic/vinyl mix. You can put them in an aquarium as a fake anemone to condition the clowns to an anemone. I actually just did my Senior Animal Behavior project on this exact thing. You can put one in with the clowns and it decreases the amount of time it takes a clown to host a real anemone. If they even pay attention to it :P