Shallow vs. Deep tanks, pros and cons

KimP

As I start to plan my next tank I find myself trying to avoid the things I disliked most about my previous tank. I keep coming back to the 30” depth. I had very poor luck with super glue and every time a frag fell it about brought me to tears. But I can sure beat anyone at the game Operation now! Especially if the game's underwater :P I lost several frags that way. Then I get to thinking I'm sure there are downsides to a shallow tank too.

What is your experience, on either side?

well, with a shallow tank you will get higher light intensity at the bottom of the tank, something to keep in mind.

with a deep tank, you would need to be aware of where you place things because of PAR (obviously). I love deep tanks though....the deeper the better because you have so many more ways to do your aquascape!

Shallow Tank-

- Easier to light (better par with less electricity used)

- More surface area per volume = better gas exchange

- Easier to work in because of less depth

- Easier to aquascape well

Deep Tank:

- More aquascaping possibilities, but harder to aquascape well

- People tend to create vertical walls trying to utilize the entire height in the aquascape

- Waveboxes tend to work better

- Harder to light well

I am very biased to the shallower tanks. 90% of the tanks I have seen that I really loved have been shallower. However, my favorite tank of all time is 48" deep with an incredible aquascape--Chingchai's tank.

• Like 1

In deep tanks you can get deodorant in them if it's too deep. Or even part of a slieve wet, which there is a small chance of putting soap in your tank water, or fabric softener. I suggest choosing a tank that you can touch the bottom standing flatfooted. Remember those two heavy pieces of live rock and having to stand on a stool to get them out. That was another reason that the sand bed was never vaccumed and the problems that caused.

My 75G at 18" high is my favorite all time size to work with. Because I lean to deep sand bed methods, I have always used up vertical distance to this substrate. I do not vacumn my sandbeds. Lower light requirement on bottom with higher light requirement on top. However, I have used accent lighting to increase intensity for a specific coralhead or marine plant.

I like the high tank because I do not favor bright constant light everywhere in my aquascaping. I enjoy the sudalties of dimmer light. With increased depth comes increase effect of glitter lines. Similiar to being in a thick forest canopy with shafts of light piercing thru for that burst of illumination and the glitter lines with it.

Kim, what do you want to keep in the tank in question?

Okay, so I don't see any big downsides to a shallower tank. Other than having to get more led units and a larger footprint per gallon.

Did the coralrx help secure things better once you started using it? I would keep it arm length or less. I make so much of a mess when I have to get stuff off the sand bed.

Well, that ecotech glue and I don't get along so well. It does seem to hold faster than other glues, but I had a nearly impossible time getting it to stick to the rock. It makes a thick film immediately when it hits the water, then I could hardly get it to break open and glue to the rock. It was a mess. Then a few months after use, frags started falling. I just don't have luck with super glue!

My 75G at 18" high is my favorite all time size to work with. Because I lean to deep sand bed methods, I have always used up vertical distance to this substrate. I do not vacumn my sandbeds. Lower light requirement on bottom with higher light requirement on top. However, I have used accent lighting to increase intensity for a specific coralhead or marine plant.

I like the high tank because I do not favor bright constant light everywhere in my aquascaping. I enjoy the sudalties of dimmer light. With increased depth comes increase effect of glitter lines. Similiar to being in a thick forest canopy with shafts of light piercing thru for that burst of illumination and the glitter lines with it.

Kim, what do you want to keep in the tank in question?

I'm not quite sure yet, still working on it.

Hello Kim,

I have not found any issues with having a deep tank, although all of the cons mentioned are possibilities. Having a dsb helps if that is in your plans to implement. The wow factor often outweighs any issues you run into. As far as lighting, you actually get to keep more variety in your tank, as not everything needs a tremendous amount of light to exist and thrive. Those that don't can go towards the bottom. I have converted my 150g last weekend, and still have my 110g show (48x31x18) and I absolutely love them. You also get the benefit of the extra water volume.

I like a deep tank myself but it really depends on the aquascaping not a tall or shallow tank per se. DoMa's 330 is only 22" deep and it looks pretty good (I don't remember if his video is in the tank build or photography forums).

I would say this all depends on your lights. If you have powerful halides then a deep tank would be great, you could stagger your corals by depth depending on their light requirements. I'd much rather have a deep tank. Mine is only 21" deep but I wish I had a 30" deep tank even with my LED.

I would much prefer a deeper tank as well. I do like the panorama of the 6' long tank I have but to have height and depth would help me get lost in the world a little more. With the 6', it's like I'm looking at a picture of coral instead of looking into the ocean. I feel like that's what height and depth give you.

I had a 120G 48x24x24 for 3 yrs and enjoyed it but the new tank 200G 60Lx30Wx27T is just a great height, it realy gives the feel of a ton of room for the fish to swim. The depth(width) of 30 is just as appealing. If i EVER build another tank it will be longer and the same depth and width. 5' is plenty long enough IMO.

I'm all for DEEP DEEP DEEP display tanks...but for frag tanks...shallow and narrow. Pretty much all of my display tanks have revolved around appearance versus ease in maintenance.

I like tall stands as well. I like to be able to look at the tank without having to bend down to see everything. For frag tanks...the opposite.