ARC Club Field trips?

mFrame

Field Trip options  

25 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Hey gang, with summer coming up I wanted to gauge interest in getting a group together to go to SeaWorld or the Dallas World Aquarium. If we have enough interest I can work on getting us a discount or a "behind the scenes" tour.

I would love to do this! We just went to the dallas ” aquarium” and it was a terrible experience. I don't know how others feel about it but you're corralled around the place like packed cattle then there's hardly an aquarium to speak of. Should be called an indoor botanical garden. It was just a regular weekend too. Anyway, we're certainly in for Seaworld and the coast. Great idea! :D

Belinda and I as well as Dena and her husband Jay are going to Port A in July. We usually plan it the week of the MAAST Collection trip. Just an FYI. Last year we came back with tons of peppermint shrimp that we gave away. Belinda caught a tiny porcupine puffer about the size of a small finger nail (still not sure how she scored that one). A small tip, keep powerheads, even small ones, out of the tank until it gets bigger (my bad). Until then it did wonderful. We also caught Angie the angler. That was the coolist, ugliest fish I had ever seen in my life. I believe our clowns thought the same. Food for thought, they CAN eat so much it can kill them. I guess she had a thing for ghost shrimp (long story). There is the Texas State Aquarium in Corpus. We can get a guided tour which has a few extra perks. MAAST has speakers every year and a BBQ. They always welcome ARC members. They usually get hotel discounts although we always rent a house and share it with a few others. We have booked it for July 24th through the 29th. MAAST hasn't confirmed this date yet but with my job I have to do it early since all of my guys have families and try to schedule their vacations a well. On September 28th-30th, we are headed to MACNA in Dallas. WOOHOO!!!!!!!! If you don't know what MACNA is just look it up. It is the best of all reef conferences (IMO strickly from what I have read) and we are lucky enough to have it in Texas this year. You can see all the new equipment, listen to speakers and see and buy tons of new high end corals you will most likely not find around here. Most importantly you get to learn and and meet folks from around the country. These are only a couple of suggestions but we would love to see as many ARC members at the collection trip as possible. Many of us have met up down there over the past few years and had a good time.

I've always wanted to attend one of the MAAST collection trips, they look like a lot of fun!

We have added a section for affiliated clubs (http://www.austinree...aquarist-clubs/) and their events where we can discuss collaborating on group trips, see what's going on in their neck of the woods, etc. There are a lot of great things coming up this year (such as MACNA).

I'd like to focus on ARC events in this thread, however, and I think we have enough active members to plan some of our own events. If we can work it out to partner up with some of the other clubs even better, but let's start by figuring out what we'd like to do (and when!) and then see how it shakes out with others. Our club's strength is in its members, and we've got some of the best, so let's have some fun!

I've always been impressed with Moody Gardens in Galveston. Its a bit of a drive though. There is a 3D IMAX theater at Moody Gardens, we took the kids and saw the kelp forest movie. That was worth the trip IMO.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived