ARC Coast/Texas State Aquarium Summer 2012 Trip

mFrame

Coast/Texas State Aquarium trip  

19 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I've had some preliminary discussions with Texas State Aquarium, but we need more details to plan the ARC Summer 2012 trip to the coast. Once I get an estimate of a head count and a prospective weekend I can shop for discounted hotel rates (open to recommendations from members who have done this before).

I'm also curious if members want this to coincide with the MAAST trip or if we want to do it on our own.

So, please vote here on: which month this summer works best for you? How many from your family would you expect to attend? Should we do this with MAAST or on our own?

well depends .. These dates are good due to compressed work schedule at samsung.

1. July 7 - 2 people
  2. July 21 - 2 people
  3. Aug 4 - 4 people (kids for the week)
  4. Aug 18 - 2 people

On our own due to competivness .. :)

It is possible to select multiple dates in the poll if your are interested in a few. Number of attendees is limited to one.

FYI, MAAST is running their Port Aransas Collection trip the weekend of July 27-29 if that affects your decision.

Why would there be a problem going with another group? You might actually enjoy meeting other people with similar interests and goals . As far as competitiveness...there is way too much jetty (3/4 of a mile) to be in competition with anyone. This isn't about being competitive...it's about having fun. MAAST has always been very good about inviting ARC members to join in their activities. Every year several people from ARC put in their 10 cents about going, yet almost always no one ever shows up. I can count 4 members that have attended before and this has been going on for 4 years. Those of you that don't want to go with MAAST may want to make sure that you actually show up so those of us that actually do go may be able to enjoy being there with other hobbyist. Plus, saying you will attend and then backing out can reflect on getting our group discounts.

I've never had a problem with going the same time as MAAST. They always have a nice BBQ that we attend...with raffle items that are always fun to try to win. And I agree...waaaaaay too much Jetti to worry about competitiveness. Heck, if it weren't for her kids, I'd never know where Belinda snuck off too LOL.

I've never had a problem with going the same time as MAAST. They always have a nice BBQ that we attend...with raffle items that are always fun to try to win. And I agree...waaaaaay too much Jetti to worry about competitiveness. Heck, if it weren't for her kids, I'd never know where Belinda snuck off too LOL.

LMAO...I guess I shouldn't worry about them so much, because if they aren't with Chad and I, they are with their Aunt Dena and Uncle Jasontongue.png

The reason I can think of to schedule ours separate from MAAST is to go to both smile.png It doesn't mean that MAAST members couldn't join ours.

Understood, but I wouldn't think most people are likely to go to the coast twice in a short period of time. If we decide to have our own special functions, we could schedule them at different times. This would ensure that we don't miss out on any events and also allow MAAST members to see what ARC members have to offer.

I understand that there were some issues with MAAST a few years ago but the members seem pretty happy these days. Many of us have memberships in both clubs. Heck, even one of our premimum ARC members is a MAAST board member.

I'd love to go, but think I am going to have to skip it this year. Wife says something about that little monster from my avatar showing up in June is going to keep me busy.

Last year I happened to be down in Port A the same weekend as MAAST trip and got to hang out with C&B and some of the folks out collecting and it was quite fun. I didn't get to go to any of the talks or anything, but I definitely think its a neat idea to be able to join in on their stuff.

If there were 2 competing Austin clubs, then I may see where people might want to show loyalty towards just one, but since MAAST is SA and ARC is Austin, I don't see why we couldn't hang out together and just enjoy the coast/fish knowledge.

I'd love to go, but think I am going to have to skip it this year. Wife says something about that little monster from my avatar showing up in June is going to keep me busy.

Last year I happened to be down in Port A the same weekend as MAAST trip and got to hang out with C&B and some of the folks out collecting and it was quite fun. I didn't get to go to any of the talks or anything, but I definitely think its a neat idea to be able to join in on their stuff.

If there were 2 competing Austin clubs, then I may see where people might want to show loyalty towards just one, but since MAAST is SA and ARC is Austin, I don't see why we couldn't hang out together and just enjoy the coast/fish knowledge.

Amen Chrissmile.png

meh i didnt care was being sarcastic. we can roll with whoever wants to roll. The more people the better input and advice. I am down. In fact we are headed down the 2nd week in may :). 2 day trip.

Looks like our coast trip will be July 28th, the same weekend MAAST is going. We're communicating with them to try and sync up on our activities. Please chime in with your headcount if you intend to go on that weekend, as we'll be negotiating a hotel deal. The more that plan to rent a room the better rate we'll get.

Mike can we get a date range going? Meaning: are people going down on Friday and coming back Sunday, maybe some would like to stay a couple more days, etc.

Also, any more details on the TSA visit?

I will be attending this plus two we wont be requiring lodging as I'm from that area...Camping on Port Aransas is very nice just need the permit Sams Club sells a huge 8 man tent for about 130-150 bucks...we've used it there in the rain no issues...there is showers and toilets....showers you have to pay quarters there also is laundry...Theres a HEB and Walmart about 5 minutes away...and I recommend going in on 361 GPS has you go through Corpus and 37

Getting there I prefer going in on 181...(Seguin 123 to 181) it will take you to the coast...

As far as the Texas State Aquarium goes haven't been since middle school or something. My friend Alyssa works there so if there is anything I can do please let me know.

As far as collecting goes I would have to talk to my cousin but they have 20 school tanks near by that should be empty (cycling) at this time. I dont think everyone could show up and go into the school but we could drop each persons stuff in a individual tank...and then pick up when your leaving...I would have to talk to them about this but I would more than likely be doing this myself...Its nice being able to collect stuff one day dropping it off for a day or 2 and not having to worry about them...you'd be able to enjoy yourselves...

Again just a thought at this point bc then you'll be carrying buckets and bubblers everywhere

Archived