Juiceman

I'd kill the flow in there while you're doing it so any disturbed detritus doesn't go floating into your DT.

Maybe even follow up with sucking out all the water in that chamber and then using that as part of your water change.

post-1783-14344735711_thumb.jpg

Hard to see, but what I did was stuff some filter pads before the live rock area. This is one night of filtering! Look at all that crap! It was white when I put it there. And all of that would have settled under my live rock.

I also gravel siphoned the 60 which I hadn't done since I set up.

So another 30 gal water change in the books

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So the new added filters were causing the water level to rise in the skimmer section, which causes the skimmed to overflow. So I had to look for another solution.

So I moved the filter grate to before the live rock section of the sump.

post-1783-143511699911_thumb.jpg

post-1783-143511701308_thumb.jpg

post-1783-143511702137_thumb.jpg

Now the water will be mechanically filtered before its biologically filtered.

Hopefully this is the final change to my sump setup. I'm thinking of adding some silicone pads around the return pumps (which I'm going to clean while they're off for a few days) so that I can remove some noise.

Ok guys, time for you to chime in! I'm going to make a lighting purchase during the 4th of July sales. The question is which one?!

I'm looking at the ATI T-5/Led Hybrid

http://www.aquacave.com/36-ati-powermodule-light-fixture-2x75w-led-8x39w-t5.html

Or the ATI Dimmable T-5 Module

http://www.aquacave.com/36-8x39w-dimmable-ati-sunpower-t5-high-output-light-fixture-w-controller.html

I will be purchasing 2 3' fixtures for my tank.

That presents the next problem..... How to hang them.

This is my current setup.

61caa881ebca12161931fdb5a09d62e4.jpg

3fc3ccecdb5253fbd4c25caf77cdb0f8.jpg

I'm thinking either to connect the ATI modules to the current hanging kit, or Drill new holes in the mounting wood and mount them on their own. The problem is where that AC vent is will cause me not to possibly be able to put the right module exactly where it needs to be. I'm trying to look up the specs on where the brackets are but I may not be able to plan until I get them here.

Also I I purchase the regular ATI t-5 and not the hybrid, I planned on keeping the BML Actinic for moonlight and dusk, etc so that will present another installation issue.

So Which module and how to hang?

I've been looking at the ATI powermodule a lot and it seems likea really solid choice. Also, as far as I can tell the only drawback is that if it loses power then the system clock resumes at midnite when power comes back on. I think Ol Aggie has one of these so he could maybe tell you more about it.

If you are going for the ATI powermodule why would you not just buy the single 60" fixture instead of two 36" fixtures? Is it because the 60" is not dimmable?

I would vote for the first one. I used to have the 2nd fixture you linked and it was super nice. If i was to ever buy a t5 fixture again that would be it.

ATI LED hybrid and I bet you can just reuse the same piece of wood but drill some new holes for the fixture.

Vote for hybrid. Best of both worlds!

Let me tell you why I would go with the regular T-5 fixture.

1.) proven results: We've all seen spectacular SPS reefs under ATI T-5 fixtures.

2.) Price: it's more than $1000 cheaper than the hybrid.

3.) didn't look very different: I saw Ol'aggies tank in person and the LEDs weren't very bright even at their highest output.

Now

Let me say why I would get the Hybrid.

1.) Customizability : I can make almost any color combination I want out of the t-5 available bulbs and LED.

2.) controllability: Ramps, intensities, Combos you name it.

3.) keep the shimmer : I will lose the shimmer if I go all t-5

4.) Intensity : I can have higher par with all t-5 and LEDs together.

I have said in the past that I never want to skimp on equipment again. I have spent waaay too much money on lights compromising instead of getting the (best). Now the best will always be opinion based, but if you can't buy the lights from main retail stores, hmmmm.

I've been looking at the ATI powermodule a lot and it seems likea really solid choice. Also, as far as I can tell the only drawback is that if it loses power then the system clock resumes at midnite when power comes back on. I think Ol Aggie has one of these so he could maybe tell you more about it.

If you are going for the ATI powermodule why would you not just buy the single 60" fixture instead of two 36" fixtures? Is it because the 60" is not dimmable?

I have a 7' tank, so I doubt the 5' fixture would be enough for the corals on the ends of the tank.

I see. Yeah, they quote the tank width for the 60" as 60"-72" so you are right on the outside of their range.

I'm currently using 6' BML fixtures which spread fine. I figure the 3 3' t-5s should be fine with a little space in the center between them.

Just a thought into the bulb replacement costs but it's almost nearly the same price to purchase a 3' T5 bulb versus a 6' T5 bulb. I think's it's a whole $4 more. In essence, going with two 3' fixtures will almost double your bulb costs. Perhaps just not run the rock and corals all the way to the edges of the tanks?

Ordered some new CUC from reef cleaners. It shipped yesterday but arrived in Austin today, however they weren't going to deliver until tomorrow. I spoke with customer service of USPS and they gave me the number of the sort facility. I spoke with a floor manager there who was able to locate the package and pull it for me. When I arrived, she told me to call her because she had some questions. She was very interested in how the fish and CUC were shipped and how they could work better to take care of those packages when they receive them. Good job USPS.

Can't say the same for UPS.....

• Like 1