I acquired a new tank today

Hydro

Like I needed another tank....

I actually got this tank for free, long story. Comes with filtration and a surge tank...says its above and flushes 50 gallons in to the tank like a toliet, not sure why yet but I think that it has something to do with not having powerheads. I have no idea what I'm going to do with it, probably storage for a while. I have to have it shipped from california which probably won't be cheap.

300 gallonas 6.5' x 4' x 20"

post-1255-001064700 1287451094_thumb.jpg

post-1255-072490900 1287451101_thumb.jpg

I'd love to see the surge device, probably an older Carlson surge bucket. They simulate wave action in the ocean kinda like a Tunze wave box. I used these way back in the day when there were very few surge devices available commercialy and they were the product of several diy projects.. They work really well if you have the room.

LOL! So much for scaling back your spending! :D;)

Just fess up to it man, you are a Reef Junkie with the means to be a dealer!

hahaha, I really did get it for free!

I posted the link to my build thread on my hydro website and lots of my customers have commented about it. One of them called today that owned an aquarium store in San Fran for several years and now has opened a gardening store there. He had the tank leftover from his store and contacted me and asked if I wanted it. I really couldn't turn it down, he said it cost over $15k for everything.

LOL! So much for scaling back your spending! :D;)

Just fess up to it man, you are a Reef Junkie with the means to be a dealer!

hahaha, I really did get it for free!

I posted the link to my build thread on my hydro website and lots of my customers have commented about it. One of them called today that owned an aquarium store in San Fran for several years and now has opened a gardening store there. He had the tank leftover from his store and contacted me and asked if I wanted it. I really couldn't turn it down, he said it cost over $15k for everything.

but you said shipping wasn't going to be cheap.

BTW..Vivid just ditched their surge system as they said their SPS didn't like it. i'll be interested to see your feedback on it.

Since you are not sure what to do with it, I can keep it for ya? Lol, looks interesting. I can store it for you here. Hope to see you this weekend.

I just saw tonight that you are hosting the meeting and want to come by but I can't miss 1 min of the game. HOOK' EM HORNS!!!! I'll see if I can come by before or after, I see that you will have tv's setup but I can get pretty loud and cuss alot.

Maybe we can make it a "no kids" meeting for him LOL.

Since you are not sure what to do with it, I can keep it for ya? Lol, looks interesting. I can store it for you here. Hope to see you this weekend.

I just saw tonight that you are hosting the meeting and want to come by but I can't miss 1 min of the game. HOOK' EM HORNS!!!! I'll see if I can come by before or after, I see that you will have tv's setup but I can get pretty loud and cuss alot.

I feel you on the game. I like to holler and cuss at the t.v also. They should win this game easily though!(Hopefully)

Would make an awesome frag display tank, or tidal tank for a retail environment. I would guess it's made for the latter if it has a surge like that.

I wouldn't want to pay for shipping on that, it's going to be well into the $x,xxx's. Not sure I would want to risk moving it myself either. It would be so easy to twist and break it on a small trailer or the back of a truck. You need an extremely rigid surface to prevent it from breaking when going over bumps or an uneven road.

I actually get pretty good freight shipping rates since we ship so many pallets, it will probably cost about $350-500. They are going to crate it up for me and put it on a pallet for shipping purposes and it being and it being acylic I'm not too worried about it breaking, especially since they are shipping it on the stand whick makes it much more rigid.

While you're thinking about what to do with it long-term, I'd fill that thing with dry/base rock, seed it, then double/triple my investment selling pest-free liverock. Much better than a Rubbermaid tub because of the visibility factor.

That looks like it could be a lot of fun. It appears to be sumpless, is that correct? Might make things a little more challenging.

I would probably set it up as a cool fish only tank, probably aggressive. A small shark, some triggers, a couple of groupers and loinfish, a couple of rays. It would be cool to be able to watch them all from the top down. Use a bunch of tonga branch to make caves and unusual shapes.

Looks just like the aquariums they use to allow kids to play with starfish and touch mantas. Awesome find!

Hydro won't admit it, but he's actually building a whole meeting facility for ARC and this tank is the start of it. But what he's hiding is that he's trying to get your kids addicted to the hobby through hands on displays like this one. Once they are hooked then he can become a HUGE online reef retailer... :(

:(

That looks like it could be a lot of fun. It appears to be sumpless, is that correct? Might make things a little more challenging.

I would probably set it up as a cool fish only tank, probably aggressive. A small shark, some triggers, a couple of groupers and loinfish, a couple of rays. It would be cool to be able to watch them all from the top down. Use a bunch of tonga branch to make caves and unusual shapes.

It doesn't have a sump but is setup to have one. That what I was thinking, make it a fish only tank. When the time comes I might want to build a new stand making it taller closer to eye level, not sure. I'm trying not to even think about what it could be.....I'm still burnt out on this new tank build. This stuff cost alot of money too in case you guys didn't already know :(

Looks just like the aquariums they use to allow kids to play with starfish and touch mantas. Awesome find!

Hydro won't admit it, but he's actually building a whole meeting facility for ARC and this tank is the start of it. But what he's hiding is that he's trying to get your kids addicted to the hobby through hands on displays like this one. Once they are hooked then he can become a HUGE online reef retailer... :(

:(

Actually the business man inside of me won't persue selling coral other than locally, talked to several people that make a living off of selling coral in the last few months that say its a dying hobby and that the people that are buying coral are using places like reefclubs to get their corals. :(

I'm pretty sure that Gallery of Pets has a tank just like this one, maybe not as nice. Theirs is a MARs system (Marineland). At one time, they were trying to make it a frag tank with a pendant suspended above it. A lot of splashing IIRC.