440 gallon build with water-cooled lighting

Hydro

4 vortechs are more than enough flow for a 440 gallon tank, I have 4 in an 1100 gallon tank with one turned down. Youre misutilizing them but not placing them together. Random flow is not what many people think it is. What you want is a large, diffuse current carrying air, food, and waster away from your corals. Flow by friction's definition, is always random. The second you send a stream of water out, that stream bounces off other water molecules and creates the "random" effect. People in the beginning of the hobby used the term random meaning blowing into each other because the powerheads at the time would create a flow laser beam (think maxijet, not tunze) and blow the tissue off corals.

Every tank is the same and you want to create a common current (gyre effect) by aiming all your powerheads in one general direction (clockwise or counter-clockwise). In this way, you utilize the kinetic energy of water and your flow will increase 10 fold. Try putting all 4 pumps up and down on one side of the tank and see what happens. I always recommend using a wavebox in a tank as large as yours as well as it accomplishes and up and down current that nothing else can really replicate.

Search Gyre in Reefcentral and you'll get an idea how the effect pertains to our aquariums.

Hope that helps,

John

Thank you for the info, I was wondering how $1,500 worth of powerheads wasn't enough! I have 2 on each end right now, the only reason I'm worried about trying your suggestion is that I'm having to place them 12" from the bottom or it blows my sand everywhere. Do I just put all 4 of them 12" high? Do you put them in a line?

Also how do you have the flow set on your controller? Is it possible for me to create a wave in a tank 12' long with all 4 powerheads on one side?

Thanks!

Yep, just line them up one after another starting 12" up. I would then add a wavebox to the opposite back corner and you'll get some GREAT flow.

FYI the wavebox has the equivalent of a Tunze 6100 pump inside of it. You can swap pieces to turn that 6100 into a 6200 and one wavebox will work on a really big tank. The 1100 gallon tank I'm referring to has dual 6200 modified waveboxes and gets a 1.5" wave on a tank 10'x4'x4'

• Like 1

Yep, just line them up one after another starting 12" up. I would then add a wavebox to the opposite back corner and you'll get some GREAT flow.

FYI the wavebox has the equivalent of a Tunze 6100 pump inside of it. You can swap pieces to turn that 6100 into a 6200 and one wavebox will work on a really big tank. The 1100 gallon tank I'm referring to has dual 6200 modified waveboxes and gets a 1.5" wave on a tank 10'x4'x4'

Before I move these around I just want to confirm one more thing, do I line them up horizontally at 12" or do I line them up vertically with the lowest being 12"? I would assume vertically. Also if run inline vertically do they need to be centered for best performance or can they be moved closer to the front? If moved closer to the front it would have more of a straight shot across the tank.

So how much is a modified wavebox? Jeez I thought I was done spending.....

Well I moved the powerheads to one side and it did help the flow, but it still isn't enough. Unfortunately I'm going to have to buy a wavebox to really get things moving. I sure wasn't ready to buy a new pump and a wavebox this week! I'm ready for this build to be over...

Installed my RO/DI unit today along with my float valve for the auto top off, and the float valve for the reservoir to keep it from over filling.

post-1255-012043300 1277519044_thumb.jpg

Well I moved the powerheads to one side and it did help the flow, but it still isn't enough. Unfortunately I'm going to have to buy a wavebox to really get things moving. I sure wasn't ready to buy a new pump and a wavebox this week! I'm ready for this build to be over...

you still need a chiller!

then there are new corals, and a kalk reactor. Then there is the NEW NEW bulbs, then the LEDs... :)

I think the link you posted (Hydro) in the 1200 gallon reef tank thread has all of the pumps to one side to deal with flow. I am pretty sure it was that video or one of the links posted in that thread...

It was pretty awsome, maybe check it out again for ideas.

I am bummed I am not going to be able to make the party on the 10th as we will be in the valley.

I WILL eventually get there and be awe inspired!

4 vortechs are more than enough flow for a 440 gallon tank, I have 4 in an 1100 gallon tank with one turned down. Youre misutilizing them but not placing them together.

John is totally right - it may take a few days for you to find a placement scheme that you're happy with, but I would never suggest throwing more pumps into the mix. I assume the MP40's are all on the ends of the tank? How do you have them synced - 2 per each ES controller? I would suggest placing one on each end, and 2 on the back wall - you can flip through the booklet that comes with the ES controller, as well as search around the PDF's available on the EcoTech site for suggestions on where to place the pumps and exactly how to tie them together. With a few days of moving pump locations, and patience on trying different settings, I think you could achieve what you want without even having the pumps ramped all the way up, and without blowing sand.

4 vortechs are more than enough flow for a 440 gallon tank, I have 4 in an 1100 gallon tank with one turned down. Youre misutilizing them but not placing them together.

John is totally right - it may take a few days for you to find a placement scheme that you're happy with, but I would never suggest throwing more pumps into the mix. I assume the MP40's are all on the ends of the tank? How do you have them synced - 2 per each ES controller? I would suggest placing one on each end, and 2 on the back wall - you can flip through the booklet that comes with the ES controller, as well as search around the PDF's available on the EcoTech site for suggestions on where to place the pumps and exactly how to tie them together. With a few days of moving pump locations, and patience on trying different settings, I think you could achieve what you want without even having the pumps ramped all the way up, and without blowing sand.

I did place them all on one side in a straight line about 4" from the front of the glass starting about 12" from the bottom. I'm running the top 2 PH at maximum, the 3rd at 1/2, and the bottom on 1/4 power. I'm still blowing around the sand! I placed a bunch of small rocks on the sand in front of them (had to) b/c it was moving the sand to the point the bottom of the tank was showing. Its not the push of water that is the problem, its the suction of the PHs that is doing it. Even with placing them on one side 1/2 of the tank has very little flow. I have an additional vortech that I'm going to add to the back to see what kind of movement that I get from it.

Good suggestion about going to the Ecotech website for info, I was actually just going to call them on Monday to see what they suggested to do. I'll do some homework today and see what I can come up with.

Thanks for the suggestions

I also think that its plenty, i have never tried to adjust one so i dont know if its like a wavebox where u can turn the cycle time to create a wave. Wish i were there to play with them, i imagine in 30-45 min i MIGHT could have them moving the tank. But like i said ive never playd with them.

I also think that its plenty, i have never tried to adjust one so i dont know if its like a wavebox where u can turn the cycle time to create a wave. Wish i were there to play with them, i imagine in 30-45 min i MIGHT could have them moving the tank. But like i said ive never playd with them.

I would really appreciate you coming out and working on it if you would, Mark is coming out today to do some fiming if that might happen to worl out . I really feel bad for asking (especially after helping me arrange my rocks!) but I could really use the help.

Yes you can set these powerheads to do ANYTHING, they even work wirelessly together. The PHs are much more intelligent that I am!

Thank you for the suggestions.

OK I figured out what works, finally moving some water around. I put 3 pf the PHs on the back and one on each end (added the one from my 175). Right now they are on the highest setting and the flow seems great. Its random and strong now. My milli's polyps are extending out finally.

post-1255-023121300 1277766232_thumb.jpg

post-1255-057592000 1277766309_thumb.jpg

post-1255-067414200 1277766332_thumb.jpg

post-1255-036040300 1277766354_thumb.jpg

post-1255-066253200 1277766390_thumb.jpg

that's a lot of money in that system.... You must have a nice wife.

I do have a nice wife...but she will spend more than me! I want to spend money on equipment and her addiction is livestock.

I absoultely hate the sand I put in my tank. Everytime I move the powerheads I end up with a hole blown in the sand no matter what I do...my water hasn't cleared up since I put it in weeks ago and now that I have the water actually moving around in the tank its really cloudy, It's hard to even enjoy the tank like this. The sand is too fine and I should have never put it in my tank. To fix this I've tried moved all powerheads 10" from the TOP of the tank, placed rocks over the problem areas, and tried to mix coarse sand in with it trying to hold it down. Nothing works and I'm very frustrated. I'm going to have to dig out all of it that I can and replace it with more coarse sand, what a pain in the *** to do at this point. I should have known better.

MY ADVICE IS DON'T USE FINE SAND IN YOUR TANK, NO MATTER HOW GOOD IT LOOKS.

This is the way the tank looks right now.

post-1255-055095700 1277825346_thumb.jpg