440 gallon build with water-cooled lighting

Hydro

It was great to meet so many people today. I enjoyed being able to put a face to the different user names. Steve - thanks for the frags. They are doing wonderfully. I even got some fun hitchhikers on the live rock - including a hermit crab and a mini anemone (not sure if its a long tentacle or rose, but I know its not an aiptasia :wacko:.

Steve - can you respond back with the names of the frags I took from you today. I'd like to make sure I refer to them correctly in the future :blink:

Thanks!

I don't think it's aiptasia. It looks different from the ones I've been fighting off for a couple of months. Is there a way to tell for sure? It had a foot more like a long tentacle. It's hiding in one of the rocks right now - or else I'd take a picture. I'd love to hear of a way to determine exactly what it is.

Here is the finsihed cabinetry. I'm still not finished but getting closer. The chiller is supposed to be ready today and there are a few other details...like figuring out the rest of the features on the digital aquatics reefkeeper. I dedicated an old laptop to the tank and have it hooked up to the internet, the instructions for the rest of it sound like a foreign language to me.

So far I have around 350 hours in the project in case anyone is interested.

I have got to get a better camera. My camera on my new phone takes great pictures but it always make the tank seem much more blue than it actually is.

post-1255-045722700 1279199739_thumb.jpg

post-1255-091273400 1279199759_thumb.jpg

I'm super busy getting ready for a trade show right now, we are building a trailer with a complete water-cooled mobile garden with a chiller and 4k watt lights and I haven't even started yet... and I'm leaving with it on Tuesday!!! I won't be able to do some fiming until the end of this month, at least the chiller will be installed and running by then. My freakin lights still aren't water-cooled, sucks b/c its hot in my office. ChillKing is busy building our customers chillers we have just had to keep pushing my chiller back, its that time of year. We just got through shipping out (2) 10 HP chillers for one customer, now that's some cooling!

I may make it out with Chris next Monday. If I do I'll bring my camera along and we'll get some good pics of it.

Looks great.

Sounds good to me, I appreciate it. I won't be in town next monday but I will be this coming monday if that works for you.

• Like 1

My chiller wasn't ready today but I did at least get some pics of it. These pictures are with all of the panels removed and shows the stainless steel tank and iwaki pump. This is the smallest commercial chiller they have ever made, they think that its cute.

Freshwater is chilled in the stainless steel reservoir and is pumped to the ice box heat exchanger (to cool the lighting) and then back to that reservoir. There is a stainless steel coil inside the reservoir that saltwater from the sump is pumped through. The saltwater never contacts copper and freshwater and saltwater never mix.

post-1255-038301800 1279249633_thumb.jpg

post-1255-075367000 1279249654_thumb.jpg

post-1255-095208200 1279249683_thumb.jpg

Do you mean Monday the 26th you'll be there? If so, it would work better for me. Not sure about Chrissy.

No I will be on my way back from San Fran then. I will be free after that.

• 1 month later...

OK so its been awhile since my last post on the build. Mark and I are trying to get together to do some filming and I was going to post some finished pics then.

I decided that I'm going to redo all of my lighting as much as it pains me to say it. I don't feel like the tubes that I'm using are efficienct at directing the light at all. I'm switching back to my original reflectors which are the air-cooled daystars and ditching the sliding shelf to make room for the reflectors. Because they are shorter in length I'm considering adding a 6th 400 watt....

I'm really not looking forward to doing this but I feel like I have to.

Too bad they don't make 600 watt reeflux bulbs I would just stick with 5 fixtures and just crank up the watts. I would barely have room for the 6th 400 watt if i go that route and it will be more of a pain to install adding a 6th lamp. It's hard to decide.

Jeremey I could use your help, this isgoing to suck. I'm going to have to cut up the adjustable shelf that is installed in order to get it out...and of course its all steel. Then mounting up the reflectors won't be easy since I can't remove my canopy any more. I'm going to use U bolts to hold up the reflectors to the square tubing this time so I don't have to drill holes in it over the tank.

Should I put the 6th one??? I guess that I have to if I can get it to fit. I'm going to add another Ice Box heat exchanger in line so that I can get more cooling out of the system and move my fan for the lights in to my equipment room so I can turn up the airflow without making it loud in my office.