440 gallon build with water-cooled lighting

Hydro

i could come out one day if u wanna discuss if it will wrk. You can also do like i do when i have to do something major above the tank, I take masking paper (4') and drape it on top of the tank and then tape it in place so as not to get anything in the tank. Works everytime..would be easy on ur tank also. ALSO, i dont thnk u have to have another 400W, i thnk its all in the reflector.

1000 watts....don't think that I haven't thought about it. You dare me? <_< I can get 1000 watt bulbs right? Just not 600's?

Jeremy, I think that I have a plan but would always appreciate your advice and you are welcome out anytime. I think that I will stick with the 5 fixtures and give myself some breathing room up there. I also want to put a filter on the first light to keep dust out keeping me from having to clean the glass in the reflectors, all I have room for now is to put pantyhose over the end.

I decided that I'm going to redo all of my lighting as much as it pains me to say it. I don't feel like the tubes that I'm using are efficienct at directing the light at all. I'm switching back to my original reflectors

Ouch...are you basing this on actual PAR readings or just your impression?

With five 400W MHs and using Lumatek ballasts that can over-drive bulbs by switching to 'Super Lumens', I would think you would have enough light even if you were using aluminum foil as reflectors, not to mention you have all of those T5s.

Assuming you have already taken PAR readings, don't you want to at least try some different MH bulbs first before going through all of that time, effort, and expense?

How deep is the tank? How many 1k watt lamps did they have over how many gallons? If I thought that for sure it was the best thing for my tank I would be willing to go for it, my chiller is actually just big enough to handle 5k watts.

I decided that I'm going to redo all of my lighting as much as it pains me to say it. I don't feel like the tubes that I'm using are efficienct at directing the light at all. I'm switching back to my original reflectors

Ouch...are you basing this on actual PAR readings or just your impression?

With five 400W MHs and using Lumatek ballasts that can over-drive bulbs by switching to 'Super Lumens', I would think you would have enough light even if you were using aluminum foil as reflectors, not to mention you have all of those T5s.

Assuming you have already taken PAR readings, don't you want to at least try some different MH bulbs first before going through all of that time, effort, and expense?

I'm not using the super lumens option on the ballast b/c over driving my bulbs makes them put out more of a white light. I can see inside my canopy that there is a lot of wasted light. Right now I have all my MH at the front of the tank and then 4 rows of actinics in the middle and back. When I redo it I'm going to put the MH in the middle and actinics on either side. I did this b/c I have the MH pointed backwards to light the front of the corals which I do like but the new reflectors that really isn't an option. This tank isn't as bright as my other tank and also my corals grew faster in my other tank. The tubes are known for not having very good photometrics and I thought that it would be fine the way I was setting it up, but I'm just not happy with it. Its ok, I tried something new and it didn't work...that's just the way it goes sometimes.

I agree with u Stephen, Ur tank doesnt look as bright as it shld, thats why i said its all in the reflector. I think if that was the only thing u changed for say is the reflectors it will make a huge difference. Ur tank shld be just as bright as mine or more. I built my own lumerarcs and they made a big difference on light. Honestly the 1st time i saw the tank remember i asked if u had the ballasts turned down? It will be a good thing. Messg me and let me know when/if your gonna do it.

I did think of lining the canopy with polished aluminum reflector material, I can get it in 2'x4' sheets from Sunlight Supply. Mirror is actually really inefficient at reflecting light, in fact pure white paint will reflect more light than a mirror will. Seems odd but is true.

My tanks is big but not sure I can use 80 reflectors...I'll get my tape out today and check. :)

I agree with u Stephen, Ur tank doesnt look as bright as it shld, thats why i said its all in the reflector. I think if that was the only thing u changed for say is the reflectors it will make a huge difference. Ur tank shld be just as bright as mine or more. I built my own lumerarcs and they made a big difference on light. Honestly the 1st time i saw the tank remember i asked if u had the ballasts turned down? It will be a good thing. Messg me and let me know when/if your gonna do it.

I will stick with the 5 reflectors and also stick wtih the 400's and just change the reflectors. My old tank was REALLY bright and the only difference is the reflector. I had 1,200 watts over a 6' tank and new tank is 2,000 watts over a 11' tank, so 200 watts per foot on my old tank and 180 watts per foot on the new one. But my old tank only had one row of HO t5 actinics and the new one has 4 rows....so I should be all set. I may do the changeover this weekend but will probably get started drilling holes in the reflectors and make sure all of my measurements are right first. I'll send you a text later today after I confirm a few things, I have to make sure my store has the reflectors in stock.

Lumen Brights or Lumen Arc are the way to go it seems. I use lumen brights and love them but have also heard/read good things about the arcs. I am going to only use three large lumen brights on my 360. This will get less PAR but alot more spread than the minis, which I used 2 on my 180 and loved it.

Changed my reflectors out today.....I should have known that quality of the reflector is critical. I honestly think that my light is twice as bright, at least 30% brighter. Its so much brighter that my corals look brown, I'm going to have to acclimate everything. Here are some pics

post-1255-001231900 1283474647_thumb.jpg

post-1255-093727800 1283474657_thumb.jpg

post-1255-016736600 1283474668_thumb.jpg

post-1255-035389000 1283474681_thumb.jpg

either way you change the lights that tank is a beast(in a good way). i still wanna see it in person. looks awesome.

We are open 9:30-6:30 during the week. Please come out and buy some coral, I have to figure out how to pay for this thing. :)

I still have lots to do. The actinics need to be reinstalled and all of the air ducting needs to be hooked up between the reflectors.