440 gallon build with water-cooled lighting

Hydro

shouldn't the tank cycle at least a month and a half before adding that many fish, and is there more live rock to come?

Yes in most cases if you were going to cycle the tank you would need to slowly add fish after 6 weeks. All of the rock that we added already (100lbs or so) and the 400 lbs of rock that will still be added from our display tank has been in saltwater sytems for years. I considered it it would be a problem but the 500 pounds of rock along with the high water/fish ratio I wasn't to worried about them polluting the water enough to be a problemThe list of fish seems long but most of them are small and the ones that are in the tank now barely take up any space, actually looks a little empty.

Don Duncan after seeing the tank suggested that I should try and make my own rock walls. I had been considering it but didn't have much confidence in what it would look like. He pointed me towards a link on how reef central about how to build foam rocks....so I went for it.

I decided to only start with one panel which was the left side wall, 24" wide x 28" tall x 4-5" thick. First I used eggcrate, then I used expanding pond foam on top putting it on heavier in some sections. I also used a pvc pipe to make a swim through. After it dried I used a razor knife to trim the foam, mostly removing all of the rounded edges of the foam and making some valleys. This foam rock that I made had sharp edges and didn't have the water polished look of my live rock. To fix this I used an orbital sander and 60 grit sandpaper to smooth things out.

Tomorrow I will cover the foam in fiberglass resin (again) and add white sand to tie it all together. I did this today using play sand and I don't like the color of it, white sand will be better. I'm also going to use a hole saw to cut out where my powerheads will go and drilll holes to mount corals.

These pictures are before and after I worked on the foam, and after applying the play sand which I will cover with white sand.

post-1255-057066000 1275957802_thumb.jpg

post-1255-068186900 1275957816_thumb.jpg

post-1255-071755000 1275958043_thumb.jpg

shouldn't the tank cycle at least a month and a half before adding that many fish, and is there more live rock to come?

Yes in most cases if you were going to cycle the tank you would need to slowly add fish after 6 weeks. All of the rock that we added already (100lbs or so) and the 400 lbs of rock that will still be added from our display tank has been in saltwater sytems for years. I considered it it would be a problem but the 500 pounds of rock along with the high water/fish ratio I wasn't to worried about them polluting the water enough to be a problemThe list of fish seems long but most of them are small and the ones that are in the tank now barely take up any space, actually looks a little empty.

Ahhh.. ok that makes sense.

Don Duncan after seeing the tank suggested that I should try and make my own rock walls. I had been considering it but didn't have much confidence in what it would look like. He pointed me towards a link on how reef central about how to build foam rocks....so I went for it.

I decided to only start with one panel which was the left side wall, 24" wide x 28" tall x 4-5" thick. First I used eggcrate, then I used expanding pond foam on top putting it on heavier in some sections. I also used a pvc pipe to make a swim through. After it dried I used a razor knife to trim the foam, mostly removing all of the rounded edges of the foam and making some valleys. This foam rock that I made had sharp edges and didn't have the water polished look of my live rock. To fix this I used an orbital sander and 60 grit sandpaper to smooth things out.

Tomorrow I will cover the foam in fiberglass resin (again) and add white sand to tie it all together. I did this today using play sand and I don't like the color of it, white sand will be better. I'm also going to use a hole saw to cut out where my powerheads will go and drilll holes to mount corals.

These pictures are before and after I worked on the foam, and after applying the play sand which I will cover with white sand.

Hey man, that looks good what color are you going for. wont it be takin over by coraline algae any way. I'm back in town let me know if you need any help or opinions.(which you probably dont) LMK

Thanks Lamont, you are welcome to come by anytime!

You are right, coraline will soon cover it up. I know that I'm being a little picky to want my foam rock to look white before the coraline algae takes it over in a couple of months...I can't help it I'm just picky ;)

Thanks Lamont, you are welcome to come by anytime!

You are right, coraline will soon cover it up. I know that I'm being a little picky to want my foam rock to look white before the coraline algae takes it over in a couple of months...I can't help it I'm just picky :(

I've ready many posts on the spray foam, what kind did you use? The chief distinction seems to be that there are marine/water safe versions specifically made to not degrade under water. I've read of a few disasters where people used regular (yellow cap) Great Stuff foam and 6 mos to 1 yr later the foam starts decaying.

It was pond foam that I picked up at Home Depot and at Lowes. It still must be coated in order for it not to break down from UV so I'm doing that with fiberglass resin and white sand. Even though it is pond foam I still wouldn't trust it without the fiberglass coating which makes the foam hard on the outside. $13 per can with about 1 sq ft of coverage.

I'm concerened about the panels collecting detritus behind them so I'm attaching some plexiglass panels to the back of the eggcrate sealing them off. I will then silicone the plexiglass to the aqaurium glass. I'm even considering putting a spary bar inside the back panels to push water out all the small holes that are in it just to make sure it is as clean as possible.

I used the pond foam in building my koi ponds about 9/10 years ago. Still looks solid and holding fine. Of course realize that

the water isn't salt water.

I plan on building rock walls following Chrisper's plan. Figure it's a sure way to have enough live rock and still have open areas

in front of the tanks.

wayneb

I'm still working on the foam panels, it's going to be a lot of work.

I did install the Digital Aquatics Reefkeeper Elite w/ net. So far its pretty impressive, it will do anything that you want it to it seems and it has an iphone app so I can check on my tank anywhere that I am. It has a temp probe, ph probe, and orp probe. It also has the ability to turn off the lighting of the tank gets to warm (if the chiller wasn't chillin) and will send me text alerts if something is wrong. I know that it will do much more than that, I have to read more instructions to find out what else. The power strips on the right side are controlled by the head unit, each plug can be turned on and off remotely from my iphone. I know that there is another system out there that has very similar features but I have no idea how they compare, this is all new to me.

The brown cylinder mounted above the fan is a fan speed controller to regulate the air flow through the lights. I like using larger fans and reducing the speed, you still get a lot of air flow with little noise. I'm using an 8" 800 CFM fan with the speed controller turned down to 45%. The fan makes little noise at this speed and is still flowing over 300 CFM which is the minimal amount of air flow recommended for the Ice Box heat exchanger.

Tomorrow I get the (7) lumatek ballasts and Deltec skimmer, I have to find a place for both under the stand and it isn't looking good...

post-1255-029800500 1276132056_thumb.jpg

post-1255-078271500 1276132063_thumb.jpg

I would have mounted the head unit for the controller in a more easily accessed location, you find yourself messing with it a lot as you add new programs for different equipment. Luckily it comes with a nice long cord (I have mine mounted on velcro outside my cabinet so I can access it easily.

Just my 2 cents.

Charles

I would have mounted the head unit for the controller in a more easily accessed location, you find yourself messing with it a lot as you add new programs for different equipment. Luckily it comes with a nice long cord (I have mine mounted on velcro outside my cabinet so I can access it easily.

Just my 2 cents.

Charles

Generally good advice, but if you have the phone app or web services running you can access it from any computer. Makes configuration much easier with a keyboard than entering it on the unit.

Unfortunately the current version of the software only allows display of information on a computer or iPhone(software from 3rd party). The 2.0 version of the software that is in beta right now is supposed to add additional functionality.

I can't wait.

I got my skimmer today, Deltec TC2560. I ordered it several weeks ago but it just arrived. Well it won't go in the tank stand, the discharge is to low for my sump since I will be running it externally. I had to make a shelf in my equipment room which actually worked out better. I wasn't able to hook it up today, I had to make some trips to Lowes for parts. Hopefully it will be running tomorrow, the tank could really use it.

post-1255-065189700 1276221712_thumb.jpg

post-1255-047382400 1276221944_thumb.jpg

Its twin chamber chamber and that is the reason that it looks shorter (10" diameter 24" height), its designed be be able to fit underneath the tank stand which was my plan. Its maximum rating (630 gallons) is 200 gallons more than my tanks size and I even read online that this rating is conservative. What's funny is that on my 300 gallon system at home I have one of those cheap Coralife 220 skimmers and have had no need to replace it, tank stays clean. Honestly I couldn't afford a bigger skimmer, these things are expensive!

Technical Data:

• External Version - Deltec TC 2560 - body diameter 250mm and total height 600mm
  • Significantly exceeds performance of AP902 (1200 lts of air - 230V)
  • Footprint 320mm by 430mm
  • Height under outlet pipe 268mm
  • 2000 ltrs normal stocking 2400 ltrs heavy stocking
  • Total air produced - 1500 - 1800 lts/hour
  • Power consumption 29-34W
  • Neck diameter 140mm
  • Patented Twn Chamber bubble chamber
  • Tank Suitability 530 heavy stocking 630 gallons normal stocking
  • connections 32mm in 50mm out
  • Remote drain of skimmer cup
  • Air silencers
  • Micro adjustable skimmer setting
  • High water flow through the skimmer 2000-3600 ltrs/hr
  • Optional self cleaning system
  • New colour scheme
  • Can be gravity or pump fed (supply pump not supplied).

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I got it on the stand today! It was not easy let me tell you. Very very stressful to have 1100 pounds of glass 3' up in the air.

I know the feeling....during the process of placing our 215g. on the stand (just my husband, step-son and I), it was so freaking stressful. Every inch and movement we made I couldn't help myself, but I was saying something or other. My husband had it and told me " don't say word, just listen and do what I say, then everything should go in place". It seem like forever but we got on the stand and I could breath. That tank is huge....how's the stand holding? Any issues?