440 gallon build with water-cooled lighting

Hydro

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

6) Flaming: Flaming is categorized as insulting or fighting verbally. Flaming will not be tolerated. You will be warned, if you do it again, action will be taken. Other forms of flaming include:

racism, crude jokes, insults, a "diss", spam, arguing, and attacking a person individually.

:)

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hey everyone, its been a while since I've been on here. Tank is doing good now, I did have some troubles that turned out to change my outlook on the reef tank. Everything was going great and my corals were growing nicely, mainly sps. I put a horseshoe crab in my tank to clean the sand, thinking it wouldn't be a problem since the sand bed was only 6-7 months old at the time. It stirred up the sand for a week and kept the tank cloudy so I got rid of it. Short version is that it release lots of nitrates and phosphates in the water that I didn't catch for a couple months, never thought to check b/c my nitrate and phosphate levels were always 0. Well I discovered the problem and it took a couple of months of weekly water changes to get it back under control, I lost probably 1/2 of my sps and several other corals. I continued to lose corals after that before I realized that my 3 month old plusrite bulbs were already shifting color, I changed those out and it seems things are not dying anymore. There is still lots of corals in my tank, I mostly lost sensitive sps, which sucks because that's where I spent the most money. Don D has been keeping a handful of my corals in his tank but I think now I'm ready to go get them.

This was a pretty bad blow for me, I was really invested in my tank with time and money and its devastating to see some of it die right before your eyes. I decided I'm not going to worry about sps and sensitive corals in my tank anymore. Its so hard keeping all the levels exactly right all of the time, too much stress and too much time. I've instead have turned my focus on fish which I've had great luck with. I haven't lost a fish in my DT for almost a year and there are around 40 fish total living peacefully together. Anyways here is a list of some of my favorites, I'll post pics later today.

Black tang

Powder blue

Mimic tang

Blue Hippo

4 Dispar anthias

4 Ignitus anthias

3 Bartletts anthias,one supermale

3 Sunset anthias

2 Bimaculatus anthias, one supermale (these are some of the nicest fish I've ever seen)

1 Lyretail anthias

Pair of hawaii flame wrasses

Hawaii elegant wrasse

Huge mystery wrasse

Leopard wrasse

Blue star leopard wrasse

Huge midas blenny

Coral beauty angel

Neon dottyback

It will take me some time to get all the pics up