440 gallon build with water-cooled lighting

Hydro

There is nothing I can say that the others haven't said. You wont be able do get any work done in there. You will be staring at your tank too dang much! (At least I would)

Its aleady a problem with my employees, they get stuck staring at it...watching the tank soap opera.

:(Sadly we had some casualties in the move

RIP....

Powder Brown

Powder blue

3 large blue reef chromis

4 fire fish

possibly our chocolate tang

yellow watchman

clown tang

4 purple queen anthias

I guess the stress was too much for them, all water parameters are great. I hate it when this happens, what a loss on a few levels. All of these fish but one we just recieved in an order from Reefs2go, almost every fish we ordered from them died within two weeks. Powder brown ate last night and dead this morning. We placed them in there a few weeks ago which I thought was the smart thing to do. My plan was to let them live in there alone in a low stress environment before adding the larger fish along with the rock. For whatever reason we lost 95% of the order, which was expensive.

Wow! That looks good!

(and that piece would look better over there, and this piece could fit in right here, which would let me move that coral there...) :)

Ready for round 2?

Thank you everyone for the compliments! I have to admit this project has worn me out, I'm about out of gas.... I'm really glad its almost finshed, I'm not sure how much more I can take!

:(Sadly we had some casualties in the move

RIP....

Powder Brown

Powder blue

3 large blue reef chromis

4 fire fish

possibly our chocolate tang

yellow watchman

clown tang

4 purple queen anthias

I guess the stress was too much for them, all water parameters are great. I hate it when this happens, what a loss on a few levels. All of these fish but one we just recieved in an order from Reefs2go, almost every fish we ordered from them died within two weeks. Powder brown ate last night and dead this morning. We placed them in there a few weeks ago which I thought was the smart thing to do. My plan was to let them live in there alone in a low stress environment before adding the larger fish along with the rock. For whatever reason we lost 95% of the order, which was expensive.

ouch. everything looked good when I was there.

Wow! That looks good!

(and that piece would look better over there, and this piece could fit in right here, which would let me move that coral there...) :lol:

Ready for round 2?

You name the time buddy. I need to shave my chest first though. Hair aquascaping is not cool... :):lol:

oh, and 1/2 of my tangs have ich. I just got the UV up today and I know that will help. It is cool though, my purple tang is loving the new tank. He swims back and forth, sometimes "floors it" flying across the tank in a second.

My office is getting HOT! I hope that my chiller will be done soon...

Spent about 6 hrs finishing the plumbing for my equipment room. This included hooking up the calcium reactor, phosphate reactor, UV sterilizer, and chiller. Here are some pics.

post-1255-081444300 1277251235_thumb.jpg

post-1255-076766100 1277251290_thumb.jpg

post-1255-012326700 1277251362_thumb.jpg

post-1255-094249200 1277251734_thumb.jpg

post-1255-064360500 1277251800_thumb.jpg

post-1255-038472900 1277251837_thumb.jpg

post-1255-073303400 1277251875_thumb.jpg

reefs2go now has 14 day guarantee not sure when you got them though

hmmm...I need to check. The problem is that they will want proof, a picture of a dead fish probably, and all of them have been sent down the toilet already.

reefs2go now has 14 day guarantee not sure when you got them though

hmmm...I need to check. The problem is that they will want proof, a picture of a dead fish probably, and all of them have been sent down the toilet already.

oh well maybe they will work something out with you.... their 14day guarantee is new so maybe if you tell them you didnt know they had one... they will at least give you credit for some of it.... maybe... hope so

Wow! That looks good!

(and that piece would look better over there, and this piece could fit in right here, which would let me move that coral there...) :lol:

Ready for round 2?

Thank you everyone for the compliments! I have to admit this project has worn me out, I'm about out of gas.... I'm really glad its almost finshed, I'm not sure how much more I can take!

you ready for a full nights sleep??? sounds like you havent had one in months

ahhhh.

very interested to see how cool things get when the chiller is running on this bad boy.

this is seriously AWESOME!!!

Thank you!

Everyone...

I want to invite everyone out I'm not sure how to organzie something like that.....July 10th at 2 pm works for us. Beers and BBQ! I'm not trying to interrupt the the reef club meetings, just a simple party.

ahhhh.

very interested to see how cool things get when the chiller is running on this bad boy.

this is seriously AWESOME!!!

Thank you!

Everyone...

I want to invite everyone out I'm not sure how to organzie something like that.....July 10th at 2 pm works for us. Beers and BBQ! I'm not trying to interrupt the the reef club meetings, just a simple party.

I'm pretty sure I will be attending!

Ok found out today that 4 ecotech 40w powerheads is not enough flow for this tank, the center of it has no flow at all....and I also found out that my reeflo marlin pump is not enough flow either....bummer. I'm not sure what to do about the powerheads but I went ahead and ordered another pump, 4000 GPH.

It won't do me any good to put an extra powerhead on either end, I'm going to have to put one in the middle back wall. I have a ecotech from my other tank I can use...do you guys think that its a bad idea to place it on the back wall of the tank pushing water forward against the front? Is that going to blow my sand everywhere?

Ok found out today that 4 ecotech 40w powerheads is not enough flow for this tank, the center of it has no flow at all....and I also found out that my reeflo marlin pump is not enough flow either....bummer. I'm not sure what to do about the powerheads but I went ahead and ordered another pump, 4000 GPH.

It won't do me any good to put an extra powerhead on either end, I'm going to have to put one in the middle back wall. I have a ecotech from my other tank I can use...do you guys think that its a bad idea to place it on the back wall of the tank pushing water forward against the front? Is that going to blow my sand everywhere?

Jeremy and I were saying that's exactly what you should do. It will help make for random flow.

I'd put 2 of them back there and put them on the setting such that they ramp up and down and speed. It'll help keep everything random.

You cant put a few more on the back wall facing toward the front. Or add a Koralia 8 at one end for some continuous flow.

4 vortechs are more than enough flow for a 440 gallon tank, I have 4 in an 1100 gallon tank with one turned down. Youre misutilizing them but not placing them together. Random flow is not what many people think it is. What you want is a large, diffuse current carrying air, food, and waster away from your corals. Flow by friction's definition, is always random. The second you send a stream of water out, that stream bounces off other water molecules and creates the "random" effect. People in the beginning of the hobby used the term random meaning blowing into each other because the powerheads at the time would create a flow laser beam (think maxijet, not tunze) and blow the tissue off corals.

Every tank is the same and you want to create a common current (gyre effect) by aiming all your powerheads in one general direction (clockwise or counter-clockwise). In this way, you utilize the kinetic energy of water and your flow will increase 10 fold. Try putting all 4 pumps up and down on one side of the tank and see what happens. I always recommend using a wavebox in a tank as large as yours as well as it accomplishes and up and down current that nothing else can really replicate.

Search Gyre in Reefcentral and you'll get an idea how the effect pertains to our aquariums.

Hope that helps,

John

• Like 1